The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Part-time Postgraduate & Accommodation

Hi! I received an offer to study at City, but there are a few things I haven't sorted out yet. First of all, do you study or know anyone who's studying in a part-time course? Will I be able to find a part-time job and still have time to study? How hard is it to find a part-time job in London, and how much money do you think I could get?

Secondly, I'm still looking for a place to stay. I can't stay at the university's student halls (because I chose to be a part-time student), so I've been looking for private accommodation. I found a few private halls that look quite nice, but they're expensive nevertheless. I also found several family homes that have lower prices and they're nearer the city centre. Do you think this is a good option? Has anyone stayed at one of these houses?

However, if someone is interested in sharing a flat, please leave me a message.
I dont study part time so I can't answer precisely but this is what i gathered from talking to a few people at City:
It really depends on what type of job you're looking for
If its like McDonalds or waitressing, no problem to find a job, there are plenty of them everywhere (pay: gbp6-7/hr).
If it is a part time office job in your field of studym that can be much much more difficult (and for some impossible) as it has to fit in around your lectures (which are very often inefficiently scheduled like 2 hours every 2 days ?)
In general, Part time postgrad is not the most economical study structure because the additional living costs/rents due to the longer time you stay in London (2 years instead of 1 year part-time ?) is higher than what you earn from your part-time job. Doing it full time and then get a full time job or internship is better moneywise I think.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for your opinion. What about jobs at the university? I know City offers some jobs to their students. I'll have to consider that later. The most important thing right now is to find accommodation.
Are you a student at City?
Yes. The university offers jobs, but most of the time are events related (like working on Open Days, answering calls for clearing, greeting attendees for conferences, preparing envelopes for the Alumni magazine, translating some documents ...), so not a regular income job. There could be weeks with nothing.
Reply 4
Oh, I see. :dry: Are you currently studying at City? Full or part-time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending