The Student Room Group

Money dilemma

Hi,

I got a small part time job for 6 weeks earning around 9ph so around 1800 for the 6 weeks. I have to travel far for the job so my parents are expecting me to pay for any lunch I buy and travel expenses and as I need a suit for the job that as well.

Is this usual? Is it fair? Should I ask them to pay?

Any other help much appreciated :smile:

Jim
Reply 1
Your employer or your parents have no obligation to pay for your lunch, travel expenses or uniform. Some do but a lot don't.
Reply 2
Original post by Pink Boy
Your employer or your parents have no obligation to pay for your lunch, travel expenses or uniform. Some do but a lot don't.

Hi,

Thanks for replying :smile: I was really thinking about the employer paying but more my parents. Would your parents pay for you? BTW this is my first job.

Thanks
Reply 3
Be grateful that you have a job.
Reply 4
Original post by Juichiro
Be grateful that you have a job.

Trust me I really really am. I had to work hard to get it, several interviews and stuff.
Reply 5
Lol i read that as 9p at first, thats not a bad wage per hour for your first job, although i don't think employers will reimburse you for travel or lunch expenses. I know when i had an interview there was an option to get reimbursed but as i lived about 15 minutes away there was no point.
You could ask your parents my parents didnt help out but i never asked them too as i felt guilty as they dont have much money.
Many parents would ask for a contribution to household bills etc while you're earning. Of course it should be up to you to pay for your lunch and travel, its not like you don't have the means to. Its a valuable early lesson in supporting yourself financially. Things cost money and you shouldn't expect your parents to pay for everything once you're able to earn. What else are you going to spend the money on? If its such a problem, make yourself a packed lunch and invest in a travel pass to save money.
Reply 7
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Many parents would ask for a contribution to household bills etc while you're earning. Of course it should be up to you to pay for your lunch and travel, its not like you don't have the means to. Its a valuable early lesson in supporting yourself financially. Things cost money and you shouldn't expect your parents to pay for everything once you're able to earn. What else are you going to spend the money on? If its such a problem, make yourself a packed lunch and invest in a travel pass to save money.

Oooooh I like that take on it, very nice. You have made me think about it in another way. Thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by chikane
Lol i read that as 9p at first, thats not a bad wage per hour for your first job, although i don't think employers will reimburse you for travel or lunch expenses. I know when i had an interview there was an option to get reimbursed but as i lived about 15 minutes away there was no point.
You could ask your parents my parents didnt help out but i never asked them too as i felt guilty as they dont have much money.

9p I wouldn't even bother getting out of bed let alone travelling :P Lucky your employers reimbursed you for your interview, no chance of that. That's fair enough that you didn't ask them. Can I ask did you give them money?
Reply 9
Original post by Jim_Taylor
9p I wouldn't even bother getting out of bed let alone travelling :P Lucky your employers reimbursed you for your interview, no chance of that. That's fair enough that you didn't ask them. Can I ask did you give them money?

Lol i need to get to bed my brains all fuzzy :biggrin:, no i didn't get reimbursed as i walked to the interview as it was nearby to where i lived.
My dad worked, my mum never worked. I dont pay rent or bill although if my mum asks for money ill give her it but she realises i dont earn that much as i work only weekends but i do give her cash on her birthday and mothers day. Also payed some money for my dad to get some repairs done. Although my part time job is £200 a month and the rest was from student grants for uni, so got quite bit saved up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending