The Student Room Group

Meeting girls (new person, searching on this site is awful)

Now I know many threads like this have been made before but the search functions on this website are abysmal so I can't actually find them.
College is finished now and I'm not going to uni. I'm applying for apprenticeships where obviously I will meet new people but they're usually at small places with not many people so that won't really help much (although they are all in London so being in the city might be useful, I don't know.)
The friends I do have don't go out much and none of us have any female friends to hang around with so there's no way of meeting girls that way. I'm not sporty whatsoever and unless you can tell me otherwise, going out alone to a bar isn't really a great way of meeting girls.
I'll give a little info about myself to see if that might help with any tips.
I'm an average guy, not ugly but not attractive, the blend into the crowd type (especially helped by being a little on the short side, although i know that isnt really relevant). I love to read and love music although there never seem to be people my age at gigs so that might not help.
dating sites maybe you could give them ago???
Reply 2
Original post by hubbabubba91

Dating sites for a 19 year old? Hmm that seems a bit... pathetic...
Reply 3
Original post by hubbabubba91

Dating sites for a 19 year old? Feels a bit... pathetic... Probably should have put my age in the original post

(sorry if multipost, not been showing up for me...)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Get yourself a wing, if poss, and get out to the kinds of places you're most likely to meet the kinds of girls you'd most like to meet :smile:

:facepalm2:

Yeh dating sites for an 18 year old... bad idea. I guess i should probalby just meet new friends so i can actually find a place to meet new girls. Not having friends who do stuff and not knowing where to meet girls are probably a bad combination.

Balls forgot anon. Oh well.
(edited 10 years ago)
You could get yourself a new hobby and join clubs and go to classes and such? Then you at least have the same interests so it makes everything easier?
Reply 6
There should be loads of people your age at gigs! In London, find a music group (like a book club... or just find a book club, actually, if you like reading :h: ) that meets up regularly and you'll have a ton of friends in no time, and people to go to gigs with, rather than just wall-creeping alone.

Edit:
http://www.meetup.com/rock-83/
http://www.twentysomethinglondon.com/the-note-well-fun-filled-music-events/

Stuff like that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by AmyAintDead
You could get yourself a new hobby and join clubs and go to classes and such? Then you at least have the same interests so it makes everything easier?

A new hobby. I wish I knew what that could be other than sports/martial arts, both of which are a no no for me.
Original post by kopi, ffs
There should be loads of people your age at gigs! In London, find a music group (like a book club... or just find a book club, actually, if you like reading :h: ) that meets up regularly and you'll have a ton of friends in no time, and people to go to gigs with, rather than just wall-creeping alone.

Edit:
http://www.meetup.com/rock-83/
http://www.twentysomethinglondon.com/the-note-well-fun-filled-music-events/

Stuff like that.

****ty advice
Reply 9
Original post by hiddenbutterfly
no tenks m8

I'm sorry what?

Really? I've been to a good few gigs and the people there are usually quite a bit older than me.

no tenks m8

I'm sorry what? Am i missing something here?

Really? I've been to a good few gigs and usually people there are quite a bit older than me. Book club isnt a bad idea though. Love a good book.

no tenks m8

I'm sorry what? Am I missing something here?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by GluedToMyBedroom
Really? I've been to a good few gigs and usually people there are quite a bit older than me.

I dunno, I started going to gigs when I was about 14-15 and still go now, and there's always been a mix of ages, but plenty of youths. Perhaps it's about the places you go/the musik you listen to?

Edit: ps. Good luck in any case. At 18, you have tons of time yet to meet shedloads of girls. :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I dunno, I started going to gigs when I was about 14-15 and still go now, and there's always been a mix of ages, but plenty of youths. Perhaps it's about the places you go/the musik you listen to?

Edit: ps. Good luck in any case. At 18, you have tons of time yet to meet shedloads of girls. :colone:

Yeh been giging since i was about 10 and i don't know if its memory from when i was younger that makes me think people are so much older than me but *shrug*

ANd yeh no rush about it, i know im young.

Yeh i've been gigging since I was about 10 so It could just be memories from when i was younger that make me think people are older than me. (although i've felt like that at recent gigs anyway.

But yeh im not rushing or anything i know i'm young :smile:
You're having trouble because you're glued to your bedroom :P

in all seriousness: this website isn't much of a dating site op , but that said I have made some awesome friends before off here! And I associate with them off TSR :gthumb:
Original post by Warner's Box
You're having trouble because you're glued to your bedroom :P

in all seriousness: this website isn't much of a dating site op , but that said I have made some awesome friends before off here! And I associate with them off TSR :gthumb:

Oh god no I didn't mean meeting girls on this site! Wait that sounds really mean to girls on this site... but that isn't what i meant. I come to this site for the Books section only posted this coz I was feeling crappy one night and wondered if I could get any advice for where guys who aren't into sports and don't have friends who go out to meet girls. I guess I should have stayed a lurker reading other sections I'm terrible at this stuff.
Original post by GluedToMyBedroom
Oh god no I didn't mean meeting girls on this site! Wait that sounds really mean to girls on this site... but that isn't what i meant. I come to this site for the Books section only posted this coz I was feeling crappy one night and wondered if I could get any advice for where guys who aren't into sports and don't have friends who go out to meet girls. I guess I should have stayed a lurker reading other sections I'm terrible at this stuff.
<br />
<br />

No no don't be a lurker. TSR is a friendly community. I like it...

But tbh I haven't been much of a sport person until late but I just met people through friends and whatnot.

I know its going to sound bloody wierd but I've met girls in the library!!! I've met them in the shisha cafe. Ive even met some helping out at a college open day.

Just make any bit of small talk, if she looks in your direction , smiles in your direction or laughs at somthing you do or say use it as an opportunity. If you see she seems a bit stuck or something , go for it. Anytime you see an opportunity then go ahead and talk. Eventually it leads to Hi my name is WB , what's yours.....

It goes on and on from there! Don't necessarily expect anything , just enjoy the chat and the boost for your confidence. Not all girls will give you her number but at the end a little "ahhh we had a nice chat , I hope to speak to you again" or "is there any other way we could continue this..." wouldn't hurt. I got a fair few names , classes , numbers , facebooks and whatnot like this.

There's guys who have got success with girls on the bus , even the checkout girl at Sainsburys ...in a queue!!!

But if you don't talk with a sense of purpose and confidence then it won't work that well (if at all)

Try it in day to day life , I even started chatting to this gal at the swimming baths when I went swimming the other day!!! Obviously I didn't get her number but you know... It goes to show.

I think the strangest one was a guy trying to chat me up in the showers once :lolwut: ... Don't do that OP. Don't try and chat someone else up when they're naked in front of you and many other people, won't work! :lol: :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending