The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Hey guys, I'm a final year at Aberdeen so let me know if you have any questions I can answer :smile:

Did any of you make it to the Open Day on Tuesday?

I came to the open day and it was the best one I have yet been to!! Really loved it! 3D body scans was the highlight! Aberdeen is definitely my first choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Hi, just a question about applying to Aberdeen.. do they have a limited places for people with Alevels than to those with SQA? Or Non-Scottish, Briton applicant to Scottish applicant?
Reply 42
Original post by PG593
Those are good grades mate, even with the English one you meet the requirements, don't let than 1 C spoilt the rest of your application and besides you have the grades! If you like the uni then I say go for it
:smile:

Thanks man. Also I've looked and they don't generally have a UKCAT cutoff which I like. So now it lies on my PS :smile:
Reply 43
Hey guys, I'm a final year at Aberdeen so let me know if you have any questions I can answer :smile:

Did any of you make it to the Open Day on Tuesday?

Hi, I know a large percentage of Scottish applicants apply there than other UK applicants, but is there ever a case where they're more in favour for Scottish applicants?

Also which main factor of written application do they look at? UKCAT, GCSE, ALevels, PS? I have already achieved AAA and will be applying for the first time. :smile:
Original post by SiMan
Hi, I know a large percentage of Scottish applicants apply there than other UK applicants, but is there ever a case where they're more in favour for Scottish applicants?

Also which main factor of written application do they look at? UKCAT, GCSE, ALevels, PS? I have already achieved AAA and will be applying for the first time. :smile:

They've done a lot of research to conclusively prove that RUK (rest of UK) students have the same chance of admission as Scottish students despite the funding difference.

Academics and UKCAT are scored to get you to interview, your PS is read but not scored.
Reply 45
As promised, my UKCAT scores:
VR: 500
QR: 620
AR: 540
DA: 880
SJT: band 2
total: 2540 average: 635

do you think that could be enough? I know my VR and AR suck :/ when i was practicing AR was my strongest section, i missed the timing on the actual test though and left quite a few questions unanswered when the time ended :frown: and the VR is tough for English non-natives. i hope the score won't disqualify me. What do you think?
You've already missed the medicine open day :tongue: It's not an issue, there are tours on interview day to look around. You just missed out on an opportunity to speak to admissions directly and play with all our cool clinical skills kit.

Oh hahaha, do you think I'd have a good shot here with my stats? (stats are on the 2nd page near the top)
Reply 47
Original post by ollexandra
As promised, my UKCAT scores:
VR: 500
QR: 620
AR: 540
DA: 880
SJT: band 2
total: 2540 average: 635

do you think that could be enough? I know my VR and AR suck :/ when i was practicing AR was my strongest section, i missed the timing on the actual test though and left quite a few questions unanswered when the time ended :frown: and the VR is tough for English non-natives. i hope the score won't disqualify me. What do you think?

Don't worry about the individual sub scores, my VR let me down too and I think its a common theme for most UKCAT takers this year. The only universities I know that use the sub scores are Exeter, Nottingham (I think) and Imperial GEP. Aberdeen will only be looking at your overall score. Your UKCAT is fine, it is not the only thing they are looking at, academics are weighed more importantly, so if its a university you really want to go to and the rest of your application is strong, you should pursue it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
I've emailed them this morning to ask if they still consider people who have done access to medicine. Fingers crossed they do.

Just finished the course at Stow with 90% overall, and got 790 avg in UKCAT.
Reply 49
For anyone that is already studying there, what is the social life/city life like in Aberdeen? I'm from London and just wanted to know if there is a similar vibe about the place :tongue:
Reply 50
HELP PLEASE!

I'm reapplying

-Interview or no interview?

UKCAT: 2760 + Band 2

S5: AAAAA(all highers)
S6: A(higher) AB(adv higher)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MOHSINM31
HELP PLEASE!

I'm reapplying

-Interview or no interview?

UKCAT: 2760 + Band 2

S5: AAAAA(all highers)
S6: A(higher) AB(adv higher)

Posted from TSR Mobile

there's no way of knowing for sure, but your application looks pretty strong grades/ukcat wise, similar/better than what mine was when i reapplied.
did you apply here last year?
Reply 52
Original post by atomos
there's no way of knowing for sure, but your application looks pretty strong grades/ukcat wise, similar/better than what mine was when i reapplied.
did you apply here last year?

Yes I applied last year but was rejected pre-interview due to my low UKCAT: 2100. So I made a huge improvement and decided it would be wise to reapply now rather than as a graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MOHSINM31
Yes I applied last year but was rejected pre-interview due to my low UKCAT: 2100. So I made a huge improvement and decided it would be wise to reapply now rather than as a graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow that's a huge improvement, well done.
I definitely think you're making a good decision reapplying rather than doing another degree at this stage. good luck
While I was on work experience, the GP told me that Aberdeen had a reputation for taking on local people? He said they definitely did it when he studied there, however that was in the 80's so he was unsure if that still happened. Anyone know if that is true?
Hi, I am just wondering if I am a strong enough applicant to get in to medical school.

I got 8 1s and a 2 at Standard Grade level and I got 5As in my highers this year in three sciences, maths and English. I'm doing 3 Advanced Highers this year in the sciences and the science baccalaureate.

I have 4 weeks relevant work experience. 2 weeks in a hospital, 1 week in a GPs and one week in a care home. I work as a domestic and volunteer in a hospital. I help out in my schools ASN department and worked for a summer in a charity shop.

The thing that's really worrying me is my ukcat. I got 672.5 on average and from what I can see everyone seems to be doing really good this year, so mine is comparatively low.

I know this is a lot to read and everyone seems to post big slabs of text like this but if anyone can be bothered to read it and help me I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Kate
Reply 56
Original post by katherine96
Hi, I am just wondering if I am a strong enough applicant to get in to medical school.

I got 8 1s and a 2 at Standard Grade level and I got 5As in my highers this year in three sciences, maths and English. I'm doing 3 Advanced Highers this year in the sciences and the science baccalaureate.

I have 4 weeks relevant work experience. 2 weeks in a hospital, 1 week in a GPs and one week in a care home. I work as a domestic and volunteer in a hospital. I help out in my schools ASN department and worked for a summer in a charity shop.

The thing that's really worrying me is my ukcat. I got 672.5 on average and from what I can see everyone seems to be doing really good this year, so mine is comparatively low.

I know this is a lot to read and everyone seems to post big slabs of text like this but if anyone can be bothered to read it and help me I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Kate

I think your application is definitely strong enough. And I wouldn't worry about the UKCAT - as has been said before, the people who post their scores on TSR are usually those in the higher band. Last year Aberdeen didn't use the UKCAT as much as say, Newcastle do. I think it counted for about 8% of the application (could be wrong in that) and they concentrate more on your personal statement. I have a feeling that's changed this year though.

Your work experience sounds great. Especially the long-term volunteering as it shows commitment to something.

Good luck :smile: I finally got in this year to Aberdeen after two years of applying and it was the best feeling ever!
Original post by Neenananna
I think your application is definitely strong enough. And I wouldn't worry about the UKCAT - as has been said before, the people who post their scores on TSR are usually those in the higher band. Last year Aberdeen didn't use the UKCAT as much as say, Newcastle do. I think it counted for about 8% of the application (could be wrong in that) and they concentrate more on your personal statement. I have a feeling that's changed this year though.

Your work experience sounds great. Especially the long-term volunteering as it shows commitment to something.

Good luck :smile: I finally got in this year to Aberdeen after two years of applying and it was the best feeling ever!

Well done on getting in; hope that feeling continues through freshers and beyond! :awesome:

The UKCAT role in assessing applications has changed significantly this year - it's now 40% of your pre-interview score (20% of overall score). The personal statement won't be objectively assessed but is playing a greater role in forming interview questions.
Reply 58
Well done on getting in; hope that feeling continues through freshers and beyond! :awesome:

The UKCAT role in assessing applications has changed significantly this year - it's now 40% of your pre-interview score (20% of overall score). The personal statement won't be objectively assessed but is playing a greater role in forming interview questions.

Where did u read thats it's 40% of the pre-interview score? I can't find it anywhere.
Original post by LiviuN
Where did u read thats it's 40% of the pre-interview score? I can't find it anywhere.

because interview is 50% of your total score, so if ukcat is 20% total score, then it must be 40% pre-interview, the other 60% being grades (30% final score).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending