The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prafto
Are most the places reserved for Scottish students? Or are all Home/EU applications viewed the same

The funding arrangements mean there are places for Scots and other places for RUK etc, but Aberdeen has done lots of research to prove that this has no effect on your chances of getting a place.

As for your previous question, I don't have the precise scores for this year but its points per A and A* at A2, a little bonus if they're achieved rather than predicted, but with a cap so that a million A*s is no advantage - you're only being scored on 3 subjects.
Reply 81
Original post by Becca-Sarah
The funding arrangements mean there are places for Scots and other places for RUK etc, but Aberdeen has done lots of research to prove that this has no effect on your chances of getting a place.

As for your previous question, I don't have the precise scores for this year but its points per A and A* at A2, a little bonus if they're achieved rather than predicted, but with a cap so that a million A*s is no advantage - you're only being scored on 3 subjects.

So to confirm for my friend who is also applying she achieved AAA this year at her A2s, does that mean someone predicted A*A*A* would get more points or would she in fact get more points since they're achieved rather than predicted?

Can chemistry, Maths and Further Maths be the 3 subjects for A levels?
Original post by PG593
So to confirm for my friend who is also applying she achieved AAA this year at her A2s, does that mean someone predicted A*A*A* would get more points or would she in fact get more points since they're achieved rather than predicted?

As I said, I don't know how many points are being allocated to each thing this year, sorry.
Reply 84
So Aberdeen is looking at A2 grades, UKCAT and PS pre interview:
provided I have a good PS, would my A2 A*A*A* predictions and UKCAT score of 747.5 guarantee me an interview?
Original post by prafto
So Aberdeen is looking at A2 grades, UKCAT and PS pre interview:
provided I have a good PS, would my A2 A*A*A* predictions and UKCAT score of 747.5 guarantee me an interview?

There's no such thing as a guaranteed interview because it depends on you being in the top 700 applicants - we don't know what they're like yet. You do stand a very good chance though.
Reply 86
I have 5A*s 4As at GCSE and 3As 1B at AS level. However I have a low 595 ukcat score and band 1! Would there be any chance of getting into aberdeen?
Original post by behappy777
I have 5A*s 4As at GCSE and 3As 1B at AS level. However I have a low 595 ukcat score and band 1! Would there be any chance of getting into aberdeen?

GCSE's and AS are irrelevant - what are your A2 predictions? They've accepted a huge range of UKCAT scores in the past (lowest I believe was below 2000 total) so if you like Aberdeen it's worth a shot.
Reply 88
Thanks! oh phew! My a2 predictions are AAA!:smile: yes I'm just not sure to apply to Aberdeen or Dundee?
Original post by science-oliver
Stats

GCSE- 7A*(inc 3 sciences math and eng Lang) 2A

AS- AAAA (bio chem maths psychology)

UKCAT- 682.5 band 1

What do people think?

Just slightly worried that my ukcat this year will be like getting an average of 640 in 2013, due to the very high scores I keep seeing posted on here

Hey I have the same UKCAT and band as you :tongue: are you gonna apply to Manchester?
Reply 90
Hi Guys, Im thinking of applying to Aberdeen this year, I live in England so will be obvs be considered a non-scottish student. Im not sure whether I have a strong academic record, please can someone advise me:

GCSE: 7A*'S and 4A's
AS Levels: AABB (B'S in chem and psycholgy, was two marks off an A in chem :frown:
UKCAT: avrg of 660 total 2640
Hopeful predictions, AAA in chem, maths and bio

Should I apply and will I be in for a good chance? :s-smilie: Please HELP :colondollar:
Original post by Voldermort
Hi Guys, Im thinking of applying to Aberdeen this year, I live in England so will be obvs be considered a non-scottish student. Im not sure whether I have a strong academic record, please can someone advise me:

GCSE: 7A*'S and 4A's
AS Levels: AABB (B'S in chem and psycholgy, was two marks off an A in chem :frown:
UKCAT: avrg of 660 total 2640
Hopeful predictions, AAA in chem, maths and bio

Should I apply and will I be in for a good chance? :s-smilie: Please HELP :colondollar:

The only parts of your profile that will be considered are your A2 predictions and your UKCAT score. The change in the application system this years makes it hard to predict how anyone will do, but if you like Aberdeen you've no reason not to give it a go.
Original post by NikoB
Hey I have the same UKCAT and band as you :tongue: are you gonna apply to Manchester?

Hey, yeah I've been thinking of applying to manchester yeah!:smile:
Reply 93
The only parts of your profile that will be considered are your A2 predictions and your UKCAT score. The change in the application system this years makes it hard to predict how anyone will do, but if you like Aberdeen you've no reason not to give it a go.

Hi

Do you think I would have a good chance with 3 A*s achieved at A2
Haven't done my UKCAT yet so just assume its average?

Also if possible can you link me where it says they will only be looking at A2's from this year (couldn't find it on the website)
Original post by MX123
Hi

Do you think I would have a good chance with 3 A*s achieved at A2
Haven't done my UKCAT yet so just assume its average?

Also if possible can you link me where it says they will only be looking at A2's from this year (couldn't find it on the website)

You haven't yet done the test that makes up 40% of your pre-interview score, so how do you expect anyone to make an accurate judgement of your chances?

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/smd/medicine/uk-academic-requirements.php - see the "Please Note" line at the end of the A2 box.
Well if you don't already have your A levels, then yes, it's on predictions.

No, the majority of applicants will have Highers and Advanced Highers where there's far more variation in predicted and achieved grades.

An English applicant with A2: AAA achieved applied with 682.5 av? What do you think?

I know they're changing the system but I don't know how Scottish and English gappers will stand? Who will be at the advantage?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by NikoB
An English applicant with A2: AAA achieved applied with 682.5 av? What do you think?

I know they're changing the system but I don't know how Scottish and English tappers will stand? Who will be at the advantage?

Had no idea it was worth 40%..

thanks for the source.
Original post by MX123
Had no idea it was worth 40%..

thanks for the source.

I think you quoted the wrong person :tongue:
Original post by NikoB

I know they're changing the system but I don't know how Scottish and English tappers will stand? Who will be at the advantage?

You've got a good chance.

Tappers? There shouldn't be an advantage by nationality. Aberdeen has done a lot of research to prove that their admissions systems do not favour Scots, or vice versa. There's simply more variation in Scottish academic scores because they have 5 Highers and 2/3 Advanced Highers to consider, both at 2 accepted grade levels (A/B) whereas English students only have 3 A2's at 2 grade levels (A*/A), so there's a different number of possible scores for each group. I tried working out how many there are, but it's beyond me atm...
You've got a good chance.

Tappers? There shouldn't be an advantage by nationality. Aberdeen has done a lot of research to prove that their admissions systems do not favour Scots, or vice versa. There's simply more variation in Scottish academic scores because they have 5 Highers and 2/3 Advanced Highers to consider, both at 2 accepted grade levels (A/B) whereas English students only have 3 A2's at 2 grade levels (A*/A), so there's a different number of possible scores for each group. I tried working out how many there are, but it's beyond me atm...

Ok then thanks :smile:
I meant gappers, not tappers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending