The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It was suggested to me not to take two different types at once, when I got a perscription from a doctor for slightly more powerful ones. Can't imagine it being too harmful though, but that's just baseless conjecture.
Reply 2
ladydeborah
I've taken one tablet Loratadine (boots own) but i'm still sneezing like crazy and i want to go to Hyde Park. Is it safe to take another pill (cetirizine hydrochloride) as well?

Well the problem is you'll be taking an overdose of antihistamines, so there's the risk of over sedation, intensification of the anticholinergic effects of the drugs (dry mouth, &c.), and a greater likelihood of side effects generally. At the same time it's not an enormous overdose, so it's really up to you whether you're comfortable with the (probably small) risk.
Reply 3
ladydeborah
I've taken one tablet Loratadine (boots own) but i'm still sneezing like crazy and i want to go to Hyde Park. Is it safe to take another pill (cetirizine hydrochloride) as well?

I've been on Loratadine (on prescription) for some time now, and I also feel like it's making little or no difference. What is this 'cetirizine hydrochloride', and can it be bought over the counter? I can do without hayfever trouble in exam time.
Reply 4
KellsEnder
I've been on Loratadine (on prescription) for some time now, and I also feel like it's making little or no difference. What is this 'cetirizine hydrochloride', and can it be bought over the counter? I can do without hayfever trouble in exam time.

Cetirizine is another antihistamine like loratadine, probably no more effective. If your hay fever is very bad, you perhaps ought to speak to your doctor again, and ask about steroid pills, which apparently work quite well. You can also buy steroid nasal sprays over the counter (Beconase, for instance), which are often used when antihistamines haven't worked.

The BMJ has a list of all the evidence based treatments that work:

http://www.besttreatments.co.uk/btuk/conditions/16493.html
Reply 5
It can lead to overdosage. Just stick to one. These pills have no effect if not taken regularly.
Reply 6
Stick to one type of antihistamine. You could TRY combining it with a steroid spray like beconase or flixonase, which may help more. Make sure you stick to the recommended dose for both though.
Reply 7
I'm taking piriton allergy tablets, and they work pretty well. I don't know how strong they are compared with "Loratadine", but it says not to exceed 6 tablets in a day.

Latest

Trending

Trending