The Student Room Group

Thigh Gaps...

Why do girls think thigh gaps are attractive? I have a leg gap not just a thigh and I think it looks horrible

also why do some girls post pics on instagram #thighgap when their legs aren't even nearly closed their ankles are wide apart!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't really get this either, though I've seen some women who i find attractive that just so happen to have this but thats not the reason I like them to begin with, I just wouldnt like them any more or less because of it.
I don't really understand the whole thigh gap thing, it took people asking about it on the Internet for me to realise it was even a 'thing'. It seems as random as wanting an elbow shaped like the back end of a crayfish.

It isn't attractive or unattractive to me, indeed I don't think I've ever noticed if someone has a thigh gap or not. I imagine people who think it's desirable are those who read too much into peculiar fads.
Reply 3
I'm pretty sure I read an article which said a thigh gap is very unhealthy.

Either way, to me all it shows is you're unnaturally thin and you have no muscle. Not really sure what's so attractive about that. I'm sure starving Africans have a killer thigh gap they're so proud of too!
Reply 4
Original post by Genocidal

Either way, to me all it shows is you're unnaturally thin and you have no muscle. Not really sure what's so attractive about that. I'm sure starving Africans have a killer thigh gap they're so proud of too!

I agree, you'd have to have really skinny legs to have a thigh gap and it looks unhealthy imo.
Reply 5
I don't remember the last time I had a thigh gap! I have a very womanly pear shape and I love it! Never had a complaint about it lol. Not fat or overweight at all, just have a big bottom lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Genocidal

**** me thats the roughest thing I've read all day

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by smorga30
I don't remember the last time I had a thigh gap! I have a very womanly pear shape and I love it! Never had a complaint about it lol. Not fat or overweight at all, just have a big bottom lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have the big bottom too which apparently gives me a box gap?! No idea what that is or where all these gap things even appeared from I'd never heard of either until the last 12months or maybe less!
Reply 8
Only the girls obsessed with weight and high fashion care. A thigh gap is like an accessory to them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Becky15
I have the big bottom too which apparently gives me a box gap?! No idea what that is or where all these gap things even appeared from I'd never heard of either until the last 12months or maybe less!

Tbh this is the first time in my life I even considered what kind of gap I had lmao. It's utterly ridiculous to think that people actually believe the type of gap (or lack thereof) they have in their thighs makes them attractive or not. My big bum and thighs have gotten me plenty of suitors so I won't be wasting away anytime soon to achieve this thigh gap phenomenon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Tbh this is the first time in my life I even considered what kind of gap I had lmao. It's utterly ridiculous to think that people actually believe the type of gap (or lack thereof) they have in their thighs makes them attractive or not. My big bum and thighs have gotten me plenty of suitors so I won't be wasting away anytime soon to achieve this thigh gap phenomenon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its ridiculous 3 girls today on my instagram have uploaded pics saying thigh gap and their ankles are apart? I just don't understand.
Thigh gaps only look good if theyre complemented by a decent size backside.
Reply 12
Crotch gaps are good.
Reply 13
Ergh, out of all the things to feel insecure about. Seriously ladies.
Reply 14
Original post by Becky15
Its ridiculous 3 girls today on my instagram have uploaded pics saying thigh gap and their ankles are apart? I just don't understand.

I just asked my bf if he has heard of the thigh gap thing (he loves a big bum) and he replied "Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard in my life. Y dnt they just walk with their legs further apart" when I told him girls want to be thinner just for the gap. Lol. Silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think I've ever had a thigh gap... Even when I weighed about 7.5 stone! It's just the shape of my hips. The only way I would get one is if I stand with my ankles together and push my hips back. I don't particularly think they look good anyway.
Reply 16
I just asked my bf if he has heard of the thigh gap thing (he loves a big bum) and he replied "Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard in my life. Y dnt they just walk with their legs further apart" when I told him girls want to be thinner just for the gap. Lol. Silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah I've never mentioned it to my boyfriend cause he would think I've tried to have one! But I can honestly say I've never heard a lad say she had a lovely thigh gap
Reply 17
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I don't think I've ever had a thigh gap... Even when I weighed about 7.5 stone! It's just the shape of my hips. The only way I would get one is if I stand with my ankles together and push my hips back. I don't particularly think they look good anyway.

I agree. Don't know why people think it looks good. It all has to do with your shape just like you said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I don't think I have ever had one, wouldn't even want to diet to that extent to achieve it either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Becky15
Hahah I've never mentioned it to my boyfriend cause he would think I've tried to have one! But I can honestly say I've never heard a lad say she had a lovely thigh gap

Mine knows I'm not that daft. It's bizarre what people come up with. Whatever happened to having a pretty face, nice chest, and a round bum? Can we keep it simple?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply