The Student Room Group

Biology Recommended Reading

Heya, I'm currently awaiting the results of my AS Levels and am applying for a biology degree in 2014.

Currently I am reading Matt Ridley's "Genome" having read "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins. I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for books that would not only be useful but interesting to read.

I'm considering perhaps The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins but am looking for other suggestions. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Genome is a great read! Don't forget the classic 'The Origin of Species' and 'Power, sex, suicide - mitochondria and the meaning of life.' 'Guns, germs and steel' is meant to be a good read but I haven't quite got round to it.
Reply 2
Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life as Blob suggested is quite a good read!

Continuing the theme of mitochondria I would suggest The Seven Daughters of Eve: The Science That Reveals Our Genetic Ancestry by Bryan Sykes. It looks into human mitochondrial genetics and how we can all trace our mitochondrial haplogroup to seven females and how these in turn share the common ancestor of Mitochondrial Eve.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies so far! I'm going to give Nature via Nurture a go by Matt Ridley. I looked at your other suggestions and may read them after. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending