The Student Room Group

Problems choosing my A-level choices

I am suffering from the tough decision of what subjects to study at A-level. The predicament is as follows, I want to do either Geophysics, standard physics or engineering (preferably electronics) at university and I don't know what subjects to pick with them.

I have chosen maths and physics as I enjoy them and I know they're essential for all of those degrees but I don't know which 2 out of 5 of these other subjects I should pick with them. This includes:

Computing (seems easy and but have no passion for programming elements and wondering if it counts as a science(3 science's required for physics)) A* at GCSE

Applied ICT (key employment skills(cover my back if i change my mind), rest bite from other theory based subjects and no exams(all others exam based) but didn't do GCSE ICT)

Chemistry (enjoy it, it's a science and seems useful to future but seems really hard and not the top of my list for enjoyment) A* at GCSE

Geography (enjoyed very much, the only essay subject and very interesting but not required for any of the degrees) A* at GCSE

product design (enjoyed the most, rest bite from other theory based subjects and may contain essential knowledge for engineering but not required for engineering) A* at GCSE

I would very much appreciate it if someone gave me some much needed advise on which ones to choose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by limz5507
I am suffering from the tough decision of what subjects to study at A-level. The predicament is as follows, I want to do either Geophysics, standard physics or engineering (preferably electronics) at university and I don't know what subjects to pick with them.

I have chosen maths and physics as I enjoy them and I know they're essential for all of those degrees but I don't know which 2 out of 5 of these other subjects I should pick with them. This includes:

Computing (seems easy and but have no passion for programming elements and wondering if it counts as a science(3 science's required for physics)) A* at GCSE

Applied ICT (key employment skills(cover my back if i change my mind), rest bite from other theory based subjects and no exams(all others exam based) but didn't do GCSE ICT)

Chemistry (enjoy it, it's a science and seems useful to future but seems really hard and not the top of my list for enjoyment) A* at GCSE

Geography (enjoyed very much, the only essay subject and very interesting but not required for any of the degrees) A* at GCSE

product design (enjoyed the most, rest bite from other theory based subjects and may contain essential knowledge for engineering but not required for engineering) A* at GCSE

I would very much appreciate it if someone gave me some much needed advise on which ones to choose.

I'm confused as to why you think physics (I presume at uni?) needs 3 sciences... I'm going to do physics at uni and I only did two sciences (chem and phys) at AS and only doing physics to A2.
Any of them are good choices. I'd say that geography and chemistry probably look best, geography might be useful for a geophysics degree, and chemistry certainly could be, but be wary chemistry is hard.
Reply 2
I would say geography for geophysics and chemistry as it is useful in both and is a second science :smile: Plus it is a really good subject to study (especially if you did triple science as the first module doesn't add a lot of knew stuff) Personally found chemistry the easiest subject out of my AS levels. You will either find chemistry super easy or super hard so watch out for that :smile: The other three might be seen as soft options so only choose one as a forth AS level which you would definitely drop.
As others have said above, you'd only need two sciences for a science degree.

I'd say pick Geography. It's often considered as a science subject by many RG universities because of the physical aspects of the subject. As an essay-based subject, it'll also give you writing skills essential for university, whereas you wouldn't be writing essays (except for coursework) in any of your science subjects. It's a very respected subject too.

As for your second choice, if you enjoy Product Design, go for it. It'll show that you're an all-rounded student, and whilst it may not be as respected as your other subjects, it does link in with your interests and future career. There's no need to put yourself through the stress of Chemistry (people find it really easy or really difficult, there's not really a middle ground) when you've already met the science requirements for the course you intend to do.
Reply 4
Original post by adi19956
I'm confused as to why you think physics (I presume at uni?) needs 3 sciences... I'm going to do physics at uni and I only did two sciences (chem and phys) at AS and only doing physics to A2.
Any of them are good choices. I'd say that geography and chemistry probably look best, geography might be useful for a geophysics degree, and chemistry certainly could be, but be wary chemistry is hard.

I have read a few entry requirements of some universities and they 'recommend' 3 sciences but it is not essential. My thinking was i'd be more likely to get in with 3 sciences.
Reply 5
As long as you are willing to work well and consistently, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest