The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

food has started to make me feel sick?!

posted here because its a bit embarrassing and I wanted it to be anon (not sure where it could be moved to really)

Recently, the thought of eating food has been making me feel sick. I haven't been eating well, maybe one or two small meals when I can't take it anymore and have literally just been snacking on sugary sweets and drinking water in between cause I feel like I can't eat it. And eating it is hard, and I feel sick for some time after. It doesn't help that it's the holidays and I don't feel like I can tell anyone because they'll either blow it out of proportion or say I'm being silly :frown: but the thing is, this weekend I promised some friends I would go out to eat but I don't think I can do it and I don't know what to say. And I want want to eat in front of them and it'll take me forever and the whole thought of it is probably making the sick feeling worse.

really need some advice please :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've felt the exact same way before lol it comes and goes its normal you will be back to having a good appetite soon, everyone goes through it, it's nothing to worry about, best thing to do is push yourself to start eating more again before it becomes something serious and trust me thats the last thing you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
posted here because its a bit embarrassing and I wanted it to be anon (not sure where it could be moved to really)

Recently, the thought of eating food has been making me feel sick. I haven't been eating well, maybe one or two small meals when I can't take it anymore and have literally just been snacking on sugary sweets and drinking water in between cause I feel like I can't eat it. And eating it is hard, and I feel sick for some time after. It doesn't help that it's the holidays and I don't feel like I can tell anyone because they'll either blow it out of proportion or say I'm being silly :frown: but the thing is, this weekend I promised some friends I would go out to eat but I don't think I can do it and I don't know what to say. And I want want to eat in front of them and it'll take me forever and the whole thought of it is probably making the sick feeling worse.

It's probably something minor (I've had this before) but if you're worried, go to your GP.
You should always be aware of changes in appetite and nausea, best to get it checked out.
Hope you feel better :smile:

Also are you a boy or girl?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to the gp. It could be nothing or it could be something serious from tummy problems to eating disorders. We aren't doctor so we can't really help you also you haven't given us much info as to how long this has been happening or if there are any other symptoms.
Reply 4
Original post by Reereex
I've felt the exact same way before lol it comes and goes its normal you will be back to having a good appetite soon, everyone goes through it, it's nothing to worry about, best thing to do is push yourself to start eating more again before it becomes something serious and trust me thats the last thing you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: how can I push myself to eat more if the thought of it makes me feel sick?

Original post by PotterLaw
It's probably something minor (I've had this before) but if you're worried, go to your GP.
You should always be aware of changes in appetite and nausea, best to get it checked out.
Hope you feel better :smile:

Also are you a boy or girl?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I'm too worried but the thought of going out to eat is stressing me out. I ate earlier and I've felt sick all afternoon but I never vomit and can't make myself vomit so it's really sucked. I'm scared of it happening again. I'm a girl. :smile:
The hot weather does that to some people, and in fact animals. While you're feeling like it, if you feel like yoy need to fill your stomach a milkshake can often do the trick.
Reply 6
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Go to the gp. It could be nothing or it could be something serious from tummy problems to eating disorders. We aren't doctor so we can't really help you also you haven't given us much info as to how long this has been happening or if there are any other symptoms.

What other symptoms do you think could be related? I know, if it carries on for a bit longer I'll have to see someone about it I guess. not long at all, but I went on holiday last month and a few times I ate till I was really full (not sure if that could be related in anyway.)
Reply 7
Original post by WoodyMKC
The hot weather does that to some people, and in fact animals. While you're feeling like it, if you feel like yoy need to fill your stomach a milkshake can often do the trick.

Hmm, I don't think it could be the weather, I wasn't here last week. That's interesting though.

I can't stand milkshakes! haha :redface:
What other symptoms do you think could be related? I know, if it carries on for a bit longer I'll have to see someone about it I guess. not long at all, but I went on holiday last month and a few times I ate till I was really full (not sure if that could be related in anyway.)

Well you would definitely know if you had other symptoms. So it doesn't seem like anything to worry about but don't stress coz it will make you worse.
Reply 9
Thanks :smile: how can I push myself to eat more if the thought of it makes me feel sick?

I don't think I'm too worried but the thought of going out to eat is stressing me out. I ate earlier and I've felt sick all afternoon but I never vomit and can't make myself vomit so it's really sucked. I'm scared of it happening again. I'm a girl. :smile:

Ah ok. I ask because it can always be related to your menstrual cycle - not to be crude!

If you're feeling really nauseous do not push yourself to eat. Make sure you keep your fluids up and try very plain foods like plain toast or plain pasta. If you're feeling anxious about anything at all, that could also be having an impact.
And someone said the weather - very true, my appetite always goes down in hot weather and I can't eat anything hot!

For temporary relief from nauseaI take pepto bismol which works well for me but not for everyone.

GP is best bet though - am a law student not a medical student so I'm probably not very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by PotterLaw
Ah ok. I ask because it can always be related to your menstrual cycle - not to be crude!

If you're feeling really nauseous do not push yourself to eat. Make sure you keep your fluids up and try very plain foods like plain toast or plain pasta. If you're feeling anxious about anything at all, that could also be having an impact.
And someone said the weather - very true, my appetite always goes down in hot weather and I can't eat anything hot!

For temporary relief from nauseaI take pepto bismol which works well for me but not for everyone.

GP is best bet though - am a law student not a medical student so I'm probably not very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

maybe, I hope so but I've never ever had something like this before.

but thanks for your advice, I think I'm going to try to have a nap and eat something a bit later :smile:
As other people have said, the hot weather will make it worse, even a small increase in temperature. Your body uses less calories to keep warm in the summer so naturally you need to eat less calories. Try subsituting some of your meals for healthier or lighter options, such as a salad with some form of protein, or just giving yourself smaller portions of your normal meals. Also avoid carbs and sugary foods as they can make you full really quickly and leave you feeling bloated, or eat complex and wholewheat carbs. I've also noticed that I eat less/get hungry less in the holidays, which might be to do with the fact that I'm burning less calories at home than I am at school. You don't need to feel guilty or as though something's wrong if you eat less during the summer - as long as you're not losing weight! But if you're burning less calories during the summer than you can probably eat less whilst maintaining your healthy weight. You could maybe try taking walks in the day or doing some gentle exercise which can make you feel more hungry around meal times. Just make sure you're always aware of what weight you're at, and maybe visit a doctor or review how much you're eating if you start to lose weight.

Even if you try to build up the amount you're eating, never force yourself to finish a meal if you're already full: stop when you're full, and if you get hungry later you can still have a snack or bigger portion for your next meal. Otherwise you will just reinforce the fact that you don't want to eat because you don't like feeling too full or sick. If you feel like being too full on holiday is a major factor for your new eating habits, consult a doctor or talk it through with someone. Once you're aware of it, you can reassure yourself that just because you're feeling heathily full from a meal does not mean that you have overeaten or will feel full to the point of being sick. Also never skip meals!! Find the balance between not forcing yourself to eat but making sure you're eating regularly, even if it's small or light portions. This will keep up your metabolism and make sure it doesn't slow down completely, which can decrease your appetite further.

As for the friend thing, you can just have a smaller portion or a lighter option like a salad. If you're really not hungry, just say you ate recently so they understand if you don't finish a meal or eat less than normal. It will only really be a big deal to your friends if you make it so.
Reply 12
hey.

I hate to say its not getting better earlier I only had one meal (toast) so I was really hungry and had to basically force myself to eat later (at like 8). This made my tummy hurt ):

who should I tell? my mum's noticed I'm not eating as much but I've been spending so much time on my own so I think she thinks I'm feeling depressed.

thanks again

Hello Anon,

The slight problem with this thread is working out whether this is a general health issue - i.e. is there something up in your stomach, intestines etc. or whether this is a mental health issue - i.e. does this sickness about eating relate to your thoughts and feelings about it.

If we presume the latter because this is in the mental health board, it may be to the exclusion of a cause that could be endocrinological, gastroenterological, et cetera. What has been said in the thread about it being a warm summer and you using less calories is... exaggeration at best; it would perhaps shave off a sliver of appetite at its height; not make you feel the way you do.

But then, I suspect you have a good reason for you posting in here, as opposed to the health board, and it does have to trigger certain questions:

How do you feel about your body, your fitness? Has anything changed recently, or have you noticed something that has caused you to worry about your health?

How are you feeling generally, in your mood? Has anything happened lately that has particularly upset or distressed you?

Is there something specific about the thought of food that is unpleasant? Does this apply to all food types - are there any foods that don't make you feel sick to think of, or any that are particularly bad at making you feel that way?

Is it any better when eating completely by yourself? Or rather, is eating in front of other people worse; does it make you feel self-conscious?

Have you been exercising more, less, or generally being more or less active?

How much have you actually been eating, on a daily basis? And how quickly and how much has this changed from your normal appetite?

I agree it's not helpful, especially on these boards, to slap 'eating disorder' or 'body dysmorphia' and all the things that you worry other people are going to be hysterical about if you confide in them:

Disturbances to appetite can be caused by numerous things, even within mental health, and even when they are caused by these stigmatised problems surrounding body image, it is very rarely because the person suffering from them wants to not be eating, so you must not (whatever you do!) blame yourself. I do worry that you're particularly afraid of going out and eating with others, as if it is the notion of eating in front of people that is in some way negative, this can be indicative of some specific problems, but it's best not to dwell on this.

Best advice, as always, is go and talk to your doctor about it, and make sure they know everything, and keep going back if they don't, or if they just send you away.

My second-best advice, which goes alongside the above piece and can be done at the same time, is to try and build-up slowly. You know there's a problem, and you know that you want to be eating, so it's a task you can set yourself - take whatever quantities and meals you're managing now, and build up on them, as slowly as it takes, in small steps: if your meal is a single piece of buttered toast, try have some marmalade, honey, jam - whatever on it as well, and do that for a few days. Thereafter when you have toast, add in an extra quarter of a half of toast and have that in addition. And so on - smaller steps are easier than just trying to fight it outright, even though they may still be hard.

If you can keep gradually building up - even over weeks or days - this will not only provide you with nutrition in the first place (which helps you feel better, honestly!), but will grow your appetite slowly even in spite of whatever might be going on here, which can only be good in the circumstances.

Hope to hear back with good news sometime soon!

ΘΣ
Reply 14
Original post by Friar Chris

ΘΣ

Thanks for your reply.

1) I feel generally okay, a bit self conscious after the holiday maybe. And I don't think there's been a change to my health.

2) I guess I'm feeling really out of touch with my friends recently and I've only been out of my house once in the last week (to see a different group of friends). I haven't been feeling great. And someone's shown interest in me romantically which is very new to me. Oh I've just realised I'm waiting on exam results but I'm not consciously anxious about that atm, there's more on my mind.

3) the thought of just eating it I think. No foods in particular, but even though meals are bigger they're easier to eat than a snack like a cereal bar or something small. I can't think of specific foods that are better or worse.

4) I've only really eaten by myself, except when I went out and yeah it's easier to eat by myself. I don't know if you would call it being self conscious but I feel like I can take my time on my own.

5) I've been less active than normal.

6) according to a calorie counter, on Saturday I had about 764 calories and yesterday I had about 1745 calories (lots of chocolate cake for some reason). And a random day in march I was eating about 1190. (It's an app I don't use anymore, I started to use it because I thought I was under eating but not I actually have no appetite at all). It changed literally within a day, I ate a sandwich and felt ill all day. Then I couldn't eat much after.

thank you again!
Thanks for your reply.

1) I feel generally okay, a bit self conscious after the holiday maybe. And I don't think there's been a change to my health.

2) I guess I'm feeling really out of touch with my friends recently and I've only been out of my house once in the last week (to see a different group of friends). I haven't been feeling great. And someone's shown interest in me romantically which is very new to me. Oh I've just realised I'm waiting on exam results but I'm not consciously anxious about that atm, there's more on my mind.

3) the thought of just eating it I think. No foods in particular, but even though meals are bigger they're easier to eat than a snack like a cereal bar or something small. I can't think of specific foods that are better or worse.

4) I've only really eaten by myself, except when I went out and yeah it's easier to eat by myself. I don't know if you would call it being self conscious but I feel like I can take my time on my own.

5) I've been less active than normal.

6) according to a calorie counter, on Saturday I had about 764 calories and yesterday I had about 1745 calories (lots of chocolate cake for some reason). And a random day in march I was eating about 1190. (It's an app I don't use anymore, I started to use it because I thought I was under eating but not I actually have no appetite at all). It changed literally within a day, I ate a sandwich and felt ill all day. Then I couldn't eat much after.

Hello again,

Here comes the dreaded word on these boards, because it is so frequently misunderstood: 'depression'. Your reply doesn't really sound like an eating disorder, but more to do with how you feel at the moment.

Many things would seem to suggest from your answers that you sound a little low:

- Out of touch with friends
- Generally just feeling 'not great'
- Exam results
- Worry about romantic interest (we all worry about this!)
- The slow eating
- Lowered activity
- The capability to occasionally eat plenty! Mmm cake.

I know you're not consciously anxious about the exam results, but it sounds like you're a little down and disconnected, which classically affects a person's appetite - indeed, poor appetite is a diagnostic criterion for depression. Things like exam results can stress us even when we're not actively worrying about them.

The fact that you find the social problem to be that you eat slowly (and not that you feel self-conscious or guilty eating in front of people) sounds more like a general slow-down than something really specific about the way you feel about food.

I keep throwing around the word 'depression', but I'm conscious it has a lot of stigma. It doesn't mean that you're going to need drugs, nor does it mean that there's something 'wrong' with you that is just showing through your appetite - it may just mean that you're not great at the moment and that, for you, appetite is one of the biggest things affected.

Have you ever noticed your appetite having been reduced before when you've been upset or something bad has happened in life? And how long have you been feeling the way you have about food, by the way? I notice you talk about March, and if you've been struggling to eat since then, that'd be a bit more worrying!

It's not necessarily this, or just this alone, but things like being out of touch with friends and waiting on exam results and all these kind of things can keep us quite low and numb at home, and whatever's going on, this won't be helping your appetite. Have you seen your doctor at all yet?

ΘΣ
None of us is qualified to help you other than your GP:yy:
Original post by kidomo
None of us is qualified to help you other than your GP:yy:

Let me correct your statement:

Original post by kidomo
None of us is qualified to help formally diagnose and treat you other than your GP :yy:

You mistake 'medically treat' and 'help'. To help someone requires no special qualification save patience, understanding, and good will. Some experience and knowledge can give useful insight, but to help someone is nothing so complex; merely lending someone a sympathetic ear will not cure their ills, but it will most certainly help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Friar Chris

Hmm, I guess whenever I feel down the way I eat is always affected, but I've never felt physically sick, just more like a starve then binge cycle. I haven't felt like this since march, a couple of weeks maybe. I haven't seen a doctor either.

It probably is due to my mood. I went out today and ate 3 small meals (at very odd times) which makes me feel a bit better. I'm still hungry now though.

Thanks for all your help! haha
Hmm, I guess whenever I feel down the way I eat is always affected, but I've never felt physically sick, just more like a starve then binge cycle. I haven't felt like this since march, a couple of weeks maybe. I haven't seen a doctor either.

It probably is due to my mood. I went out today and ate 3 small meals (at very odd times) which makes me feel a bit better. I'm still hungry now though.

Thanks for all your help! haha

Glad to hear you're managing to eat; timing isn't so much of an issue as getting the food in! :smile:

On the topic of doctors - seeing a GP is not a bad idea, just because it means that you can have a talk to someone who has an idea what could be up, even if there's not going to be any diagnosis or treatment. It's tempting just to wait for things to go away - and it might, and I hope it does, but even still it's just a good idea to go let them know what's been going on anyway.

It's also a good idea because if this is something that's not anything to do with mental health, you don't want to miss it and be having this sickness and potentially other things going on because we are all thinking about mood and mental things. Saying it's probably mood is ok, but you shouldn't follow that particular theory to the exclusion of all others, at least without having them checked out!

Latest