The Student Room Group

Snowden Granted Temporary Asylum In Russia

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Drewski
The man committed a crime. Like Manning, he should be put on trial. He knew what he was doing, he knew it was illegal.
If he was truly a whistleblower, he'd have taken his information to a member of the Congress/Senate and then had the relevant protections.

:lol:

Given the Obama administration track record of clamping down on whistleblower with legal actions. This was the only way he could've got the story out.
Reply 41
Original post by Bart1331
Why would he take it to someone who is almost certainly in on the corruption?

It's the stinking hypocrisy of this that gets me. When someone defects from Assad's government and leaks government secrets to US intelligence, they praise that person for "standing up for human rights". But when someone exposes the US government's crimes against their own people, they call him a "traitor" and a "terrorist".

This tbh. If this had been about China and Russia, peoples' reaction will be different.
Reply 42
Original post by Drewski
I am not condoning what the US has done in any way, shape or form.

But two wrongs don't make a right. Yes he exposed an illegal activity but he did so by breaking the law.

And by the by, considering that well over half the Congressmen/women and Senators - from both sides of the aisle - are up in arms about it, I don't think that (the part about other politicians putting him up against the wall) would be the case.

What he did wasnt wrong, it was just illegal.
Reply 43
Should get out of Russia and go to Latin America, Russia is one of the worst countries in the world.
Original post by ImNew
Einstein should have been sent back to Nazi Germany immediately?

That's different, as it wasn't a law shared by every nation. It was one of what many viewed as a rogue state.
Reply 45
To those who would criticise Snowden for doing what he did and then taking asylum in an oppressed state like Russia, how much do we really value freedom if whistleblowers have to run from us?
Reply 46
Snowden is a hero IMO. He must have known that by leaking this stuff that he was putting his life in danger, and yet, he still did it. Like others have said, the Obama administration has come out of this looking very bad indeed.
Original post by Drewski

If he was truly a whistleblower, he'd have taken his information to a member of the Congress/Senate and then had the relevant protections.

Like Thomas Drake?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Andrews_Drake
Original post by rakusmaximus
That's different, as it wasn't a law shared by every nation. It was one of what many viewed as a rogue state.

Not only is the US viewed as many by a rogue state, it is a rogue state when it comes to the application of international law.
Reply 49

Contradiction. Double standard.

Edit: Beaten to it.
Reply 50
Original post by miser
To those who would criticise Snowden for doing what he did and then taking asylum in an oppressed state like Russia, how much do we really value freedom if whistleblowers have to run from us?

The conclusion one can draw form this is that people don't value their freedom at all. They are more than happy for the government to be watching their every move.
Original post by MostUncivilised
Not only is the US viewed as many by a rogue state, it is a rogue state when it comes to the application of international law.

Every nation has a law against leaking classified documents, the US isn't alone in that.
Original post by 419
Contradiction. Double standard.

Edit: Beaten to it.

Every nation has a law against leaking classified documents, the US isn't alone in that.
Reply 53
Original post by Kiss
Glad someone has had the balls to stand up the Americans, and that he's been given temporary asylum. I hope he's gets a permanent status and Putin tells Obama to go **** himself.

I agree :biggrin:
Reply 54

In China the bible is a classified document. Should we send dissidents back to China that leaked the bible?
Original post by ImNew
In China the bible is a classified document. Should we send dissidents back to China that leaked the bible?

The Bible isn't 'classified' in China, and even if it was, we're talking about NSA documents, and every country has laws against leaking THOSE KINDS of classified documents.
Reply 56
The Bible isn't 'classified' in China, and even if it was, we're talking about NSA documents, and every country has laws against leaking THOSE KINDS of classified documents.

No they don't most countries don't spy on their own citizens. Those that do are often called police states.
Original post by ImNew
No they don't most countries don't spy on their own citizens. Those that do are often called police states.

That doesn't make it a police state, and all governments will "spy" on their citizens to an extent. This is just a case of the US' system being revealed, I've no doubt many other countries have similar systems. Tempora being an example.
I also suggest that you look into the extent to which PRISM "spied" on people.
Reply 58
That doesn't make it a police state, and all governments will "spy" on their citizens to an extent. This is just a case of the US' system being revealed, I've no doubt many other countries have similar systems. Tempora being an example.
I also suggest that you look into the extent to which PRISM "spied" on people.

There isn't just PRISM there were other spy systems in place which gathered every single thing every person ever types over the internet. Spying on people without just cause is insane, and when you see Obama and the Republicans agreeing you know something corrupt and wicked is happening. They can't pass anything meaningful for about 3 years but this they can agree on.... whenever it is giving money to banks or expanding the military the two party system unilaterally agrees. Snowden and every American owes their loyalty to the American people and the constitution. It is their duty to speak out when the constitution and the American people are being betrayed.

Nice "whataboutery".

Your test was whether a nation is viewed as a rogue state. The US is viewed as a rogue state by many.

If the test is whether it's a technical violation of the law of the country against which the disclosure is made, I'm guessing you would have sent Vladimir Pasechnik back to the Soviet Union?

"That's the law" is a weak argument when you're discussing disclosure of classified programmes by a claimed whistleblower. Your arguments are superficial in the extreme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending