The Student Room Group

Nintendo Wii U Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NathanW18
I wanted to buy the Wind Waker HD, until I actually saw the price. £40 for a remastered game? Don't think so Nintendo.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix and Final Fantasy X Remaster are both much cheaper than that.

I really hope that price isn't final... I feel a bit stupid in terms of Nintendo, I brought a full price Wii U, barely played it now there's a discounted Zelda model?!

The price of the game on it's own is ridiculous, I appreciate it's a great game, remastered. But seriously, brand new games like GTA are cheaper
Original post by Nerf Herder
I really hope that price isn't final... I feel a bit stupid in terms of Nintendo, I brought a full price Wii U, barely played it now there's a discounted Zelda model?!

The price of the game on it's own is ridiculous, I appreciate it's a great game, remastered. But seriously, brand new games like GTA are cheaper

I assume this is the price, because the game releases in 3 weeks.

Amazon - £44.99
GAME - £44.99
Play - £42.96
Zavvi - £39.98
ShopTo - £39.85

It could be cheaper elsewhere, but these are the main one's that I use. As you said, you can buy GTA V for cheaper than that.

I'm not surprised to see this cheaper bundle. They really need to shift some units. Are they reducing the costs of standalone Wii U's as well? They still seem to be at the same price. You can buy the Zelda bundle for less than a Wii U on its own, currently.
Original post by NathanW18
I assume this is the price, because the game releases in 3 weeks.

Amazon - £44.99
GAME - £44.99
Play - £42.96
Zavvi - £39.98
ShopTo - £39.85

It could be cheaper elsewhere, but these are the main one's that I use. As you said, you can buy GTA V for cheaper than that.

I'm not surprised to see this cheaper bundle. They really need to shift some units. Are they reducing the costs of standalone Wii U's as well? They still seem to be at the same price. You can buy the Zelda bundle for less than a Wii U on its own, currently.

Nintendo don't set the price for the standalone Wii U's currently. The Windwaker bundle is a limited edition exclusive to Game so I'm guessing they do control the price of that bundle.
Original post by Nerf Herder

You have to remember this isn't just an HD Gamecube port. A lot more work has been done here with extra features, gameplay impovements, and of course the beautiful 1080p HD with improved lighting effects and draw distance. I felt the same as you when I first saw the price but since I have never played Wind Waker before I decided it was worth it.

Whether it is worth it or not is purely subjective of course.

Oh and unfortunately price drops will happen and that is the downfall of being an early adopter of a new product.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
That's silly, of course you can compare them they are all next-gen consoles. Anyway the gap between wii u and PS4 isn't even that big it's not like the Wii where it was just a gamecube with motion controls. The power of a console shouldn't influence your decision more than the quality games, the quality games are what makes a console worth it.

Plus the PS4 and X1 launch lineup isn't that great in comparison with Nintendo's upcoming lineup. They have loads of multiplats whereas Nintendo has it's great exclusives Windwaker HD, Sonic Lost World, Donkey Kong, Mario 3D World plus third party multiplats.

I don't understand why you don't think it is worth £250. Maybe you prefer to watch films on your game console rather than play games? If that was the case then I could understand.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on the value. :tongue: To date, from everything that I've seen tells me that the vast majority of multiplatofrm titles are superior on the PS3/360 than the Wii U and that will become more pronounced with the PS4/Xbox One; the Wii U, at least technically, is only really about on-par with the PS3/360. sadnod:

That said, I'm still fairly tempted - but more for when we finally start to see a good quantity of top-quality first-party titles being released. :sadnod: I'm fairly sure that I'll pick up a Wii U at some point, though, if only for the new Zelda - whenever that shows itself!
Original post by Illusionary
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on the value. :tongue: To date, from everything that I've seen tells me that the vast majority of multiplatofrm titles are superior on the PS3/360 than the Wii U and that will become more pronounced with the PS4/Xbox One; the Wii U, at least technically, is only really about on-par with the PS3/360. sadnod:

That said, I'm still fairly tempted - but more for when we finally start to see a good quantity of top-quality first-party titles being released. :sadnod: I'm fairly sure that I'll pick up a Wii U at some point, though, if only for the new Zelda - whenever that shows itself!

OK you keep believing the "Wii U is on par with 360/PS3" bull**** if you want, but we all know it isn't true.

Better GPU
Better CPU
4x more RAM

you can make the comparison yourself, here are the official specs http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/tech-specs/

oh and also this:
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1999044/wii_u_is_a_truly_powerful_console_more_powerful_than_360_and_ps3_trine_2_dev.html

and this:
http://gengame.net/2013/08/report-bad-graphics-in-latest-watch-dogs-trailer-explained-wii-u-version-outperforms-current-gen/

But yeah Wii U is on par with 360/PS3 :rolleyes:

I don't know where you are getting this "multiplats are worse on Wii U" thing. I actually own a Wii U and have several multiplats on it. There have been no major issues with me, like I said in another post there were some framerate issues with a couple of launch titles but that''s it.

Yes, we all know X1 and PS4 are more powerful, but like I said there is not a huge gap.

The difference is that Wii U uses more unique architecture which means effort is required by developers to make a good port of multiplats. If the time is taken to make a decent port then the only downgrade will be things like lower draw distance, less ground clutter and particle effects (i.e. less grass on a field, fewer objects seen in the distance etc.) and maybe slightly longer load times but nothing major.

The gap will be like the PS2 to Gamecube. Not like Wii to PS3.

The value of the console is purely subjective, but please don't just spout rubbish about specs and try and pass them off as facts.
Reply 46
I'll start to consider purchasing the Wii U when X and a new Zelda comes out. Though I prefer horseys and fairies over Gundam, I really cannot wait for X. Xenoblade Chronicles was so mind-blowingly epic, I have really high expectations. Still wondering whether Shulk will show his face in the new SSB, though I'm preparing to be disappointed.
If I hadn't played Wind Waker already I would probably already have the bundle you are all talking about.
OK you keep believing the "Wii U is on par with 360/PS3" bull**** if you want, but we all know it isn't true.

Better GPU
Better CPU
4x more RAM

you can make the comparison yourself, here are the official specs http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/tech-specs/

oh and also this:
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1999044/wii_u_is_a_truly_powerful_console_more_powerful_than_360_and_ps3_trine_2_dev.html

and this:
http://gengame.net/2013/08/report-bad-graphics-in-latest-watch-dogs-trailer-explained-wii-u-version-outperforms-current-gen/

But yeah Wii U is on par with 360/PS3 :rolleyes:

I don't know where you are getting this "multiplats are worse on Wii U" thing. I actually own a Wii U and have several multiplats on it. There have been no major issues with me, like I said in another post there were some framerate issues with a couple of launch titles but that''s it.

Yes, we all know X1 and PS4 are more powerful, but like I said there is not a huge gap.

The difference is that Wii U uses more unique architecture which means effort is required by developers to make a good port of multiplats. If the time is taken to make a decent port then the only downgrade will be things like lower draw distance, less ground clutter and particle effects (i.e. less grass on a field, fewer objects seen in the distance etc.) and maybe slightly longer load times but nothing major.

The gap will be like the PS2 to Gamecube. Not like Wii to PS3.

The value of the console is purely subjective, but please don't just spout rubbish about specs and try and pass them off as facts.

I'm sorry that you seem to have taken my post as an outright attack on the console - it really wasn't intended as such. As I've said I'm getting increasingly tempted as I know that there will be first-party Nintendo games that I'll want to play. Thinking on the Wind Waker HD bundle specifically, though, given that the only 'special' addition is the Zelda-themed gamepad and that the game comes as a download rather than physical copy, I'm inclined to think that it's better to buy the console at the £200-ish price point that comes up from time to time, then buy a physical copy of the game separately. That way, you'd be looking at having Nintendo Land as an extra and a physical copy of Wind Waker HD, which I'd see as better than a download. Thoughts?

Out of the currently-released games, NSMBU and NSLU, plus possibly Pikmin 3 are the only ones that I know of that interest me. I know of Super Mario 3D World and you've mentioned Sonic Lost World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which are of outside interest to me, but what else is there on the horizon? I'd ask you to take as a given that I'd prefer to get multiplatform games on the PS3 or PS4. I'm coming at this from the perspective of wanting to be able to justify a puchase as I am seriously considering it. :smile:
I'm sorry that you seem to have taken my post as an outright attack on the console - it really wasn't intended as such. As I've said I'm getting increasingly tempted as I know that there will be first-party Nintendo games that I'll want to play. Thinking on the Wind Waker HD bundle specifically, though, given that the only 'special' addition is the Zelda-themed gamepad and that the game comes as a download rather than physical copy, I'm inclined to think that it's better to buy the console at the £200-ish price point that comes up from time to time, then buy a physical copy of the game separately. That way, you'd be looking at having Nintendo Land as an extra and a physical copy of Wind Waker HD, which I'd see as better than a download. Thoughts?

Out of the currently-released games, NSMBU and NSLU, plus possibly Pikmin 3 are the only ones that I know of that interest me. I know of Super Mario 3D World and you've mentioned Sonic Lost World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which are of outside interest to me, but what else is there on the horizon? I'd ask you to take as a given that I'd prefer to get multiplatform games on the PS3 or PS4. I'm coming at this from the perspective of wanting to be able to justify a puchase as I am seriously considering it. :smile:

Well if we are just talking exclusives next year we have Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and possibly the new Zelda. Nintendo don't usually announce games very far in advance so I'm sure there will be quite a few others. There is also another exclusive Sonic game which hasn't been announced yet so that may well be next year.
Well if we are just talking exclusives next year we have Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and possibly the new Zelda. Nintendo don't usually announce games very far in advance so I'm sure there will be quite a few others. There is also another exclusive Sonic game which hasn't been announced yet so that may well be next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just saw this thread, hey guys!

I've had a Wii U since Day One, still no regrets!

Halfway through Pikmin currently :biggrin:
I've been looking for a cheap black wii u at minute, only want two games too!

Wind Waker HD and Mario lol.

I think it's amazing how Nintendo can sell consoles based on two proprietary franchises!
Original post by Friggerpants
I've been looking for a cheap black wii u at minute, only want two games too!

Wind Waker HD and Mario lol.

I think it's amazing how Nintendo can sell consoles based on two proprietary franchises!

:lol: I'm thinking similar, though would want a new rather than used console and it's also on the potential for a new Starfox, Metroid and Zelda further down the line. Is that New Super Mario Bros U or Mario 3D World that you're after?
Reply 53
So excited for Wind Waker HD now, its getting good reviews left right and center :biggrin: IGN gave it 9.8/10 and Eurogamer gave it 10/10. The game looks absolutely stunning as well, picking it up day 1 and this will be one of the main reasons I invested in a wii u 2 months ago (I stopped using it as it got boring but Wind Waker is simply not boring)
If I hadn't been so screwed over by student finance malarky the past couple of years then I'd be getting one with Wind Waker HD on day one. I'd probably get Assassins Creed IV, Watch Dogs and Arkham Origins (not fussed about the multiplayer) on that rather than on the 360 too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mega excited about Wii Sports Club!
:lol: I'm thinking similar, though would want a new rather than used console and it's also on the potential for a new Starfox, Metroid and Zelda further down the line. Is that New Super Mario Bros U or Mario 3D World that you're after?

New super Mario Bros :-)

Still looking! Missed out on a local one on eBay today by £2!
Original post by Friggerpants
New super Mario Bros :-)

Still looking! Missed out on a local one on eBay today by £2!

What price range are you looking at? :holmes:
Original post by swarfliam
Mega excited about Wii Sports Club!

Yeah it sounds good. I'm happy Nintendo have actually listened to consumers for a change and realised that we want more online multiplayer for games and we don't want to be limited to local multiplayer only.
What price range are you looking at? :holmes:

I reckon I can get one for £200 with Mario.
I missed out on the black one, and that had 4 other games, along with Mario to........

Quick Reply

Latest