The Student Room Group

Nintendo Wii U Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbo-92
Good to hear that Nintendo are trying to cater for the more serious gamers from now on, the huge casual group of gamers the Wii had wasn't really going to last, casual gamers seem to much prefer the pick up and play style of games on tablets etc. I really do hope that from the next generation of consoles that Nintendo can compete with Sonys and Microsofts offerings in terms of power (so the Nintendo only gamers don't miss out on major third party titles such as Destiny, Assassins Creed etc) but are still able to add that little bit extra to the gaming community like Nintendo are currently doing with the Wii U gamepad which if implemented properly does add to the overall experience.

Also some other interesting news to share, Nintendo have released the demographic of Nintendo eShop users, if the results are an accurate reflection of the Wii U user base it's kind of surprising given that a lot of hate for Nintendo is because so many people perceive the Wii U and Nintendo to be a much more child friendly brand.
Anyway, here's the link if you wanted to see the full results.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/28/nintendo-reveals-demographics-of-wii-u-eshop-users-males-account-for-93-and-females-only-7/

The thing is, the lack of third party support has very little to do with the power of the Wii U. X1 and PS4 are easier to develop for because they use architecture that is very similar to PC whereas the Wii U uses a lot of custom architecture which takes more time and effort (it's especially easier to port a game from PS4 to X1 and vice versa than it is to port from X1 to Wii U as Sony and MS' consoles are both almost identical.

If Nintendo want to compete with Sony and MS' then they need to talk to developers while they are still in the design stage of the new console to get their opinion.

Original post by NathanW18
A pathetic thing? That's pretty harsh. Unless the translation is incorrect? Doesn't sound like something a higher up would say about part of their player base.

I think it is just a poor translation.
Original post by Tench
Hey everyone. I'm posting on here for the first time so I mainly wanted to say hello :smile:

The news that Nintendo could cater to more serious gamers from now on is very welcome news, in my opinion. This "next step" for them is clearly something they've already dabbled in (The "For Glory" match mode that the new Smash will have? Unless Brawl had that. Iunno, I didn't own a Wii)

I'd certainly like to see Nintendo use this approach not just with games with an already prevalent comp community, like Smash or Pokemon, but with other big titles and new IPs

Anywho, could I just mention how blow completely away I was when I played 3D World earlier this year? Granted, the game has problems when playing it with 4 players, but aside form that, it's a fantastically well put together, beautiful-looking game. I never knew the Wii-U as capable of producing such amazing visuals (I know its also partially down to the art style, but hey)

Hello!

The story I posted isn't really news when you look at the sort of games Nintendo has recently been releasing and are due to release on Wii U. Mario Party is probably the most "casual" game they have lined up and even then it has been going long before the term "casual gamer" was even made up.

Yeah 3D world is an amazing game and the visuals are superb. The Wii U is nowhere near as "weak" as gaming "journalists" would have you believe. I swear there are still people out there who believe the gap between Wii U and X1/PS4 is as big as the gap between Wii and 360/PS3
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
I swear there are still people out there who believe the gap between Wii U and X1/PS4 is as big as the gap between Wii and 360/PS3

But muh GDDR5 supercharged PC!

Seriously though, your hardware doesn't matter on a console, it's the games that count.
I never knew the Mario Kart update increased the maximum rating to 99999 ... I'm just hear with my pitiful 4.1k rating, I would hate to be in a lobby with someone that high up they'll slaughter me.
Original post by JordanS94
I never knew the Mario Kart update increased the maximum rating to 99999 ... I'm just hear with my pitiful 4.1k rating, I would hate to be in a lobby with someone that high up they'll slaughter me.

I know right, i'm already scared facing anyone with a score over 2k...
Original post by JordanS94

My ratings still at about 1600, but I much prefer local to online multiplayer as nothing beats smashing someone next to you with a well shot green shell!
Reply 586
Original post by Robbo-92
Also I presume the wins are the online wins?

I read that "Wins" are how many racers you've beaten, and "Losses" are how many racers have beaten you. So for example, if you came 6th that would count as 6 wins and 5 losses. I'm not sure how accurate that is though.
Original post by HZT
I read that "Wins" are how many racers you've beaten, and "Losses" are how many racers have beaten you. So for example, if you came 6th that would count as 6 wins and 5 losses. I'm not sure how accurate that is though.

That is how it worked in 7 so is likely true here.
Reply 588
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but to those interested in the 3DS side of things too I've started a discussion on all the cool announcements they made 3 days ago on Nintendo Direct Japan. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2838805

They announced new 3DS hardware and games!

It's going to be a crazy 2015 for both the Wii U and 3DS. I'm especially excited for Splatoon, Smash 4, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Bravely Second, Xenoblade... RIP wallet @2015
Original post by Byakko
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but to those interested in the 3DS side of things too I've started a discussion on all the cool announcements they made 3 days ago on Nintendo Direct Japan. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2838805

They announced new 3DS hardware and games!

It's going to be a crazy 2015 for both the Wii U and 3DS. I'm especially excited for Splatoon, Smash 4, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Bravely Second, Xenoblade... RIP wallet @2015

I'm a little surprised that it's taken so long for the topic to be raised at all on TSR - three days is really quite a while :tongue: You'll be wanting this thread, though: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1963400 :smile:

For those who don't yet own any of the Zelda titles that are available from the eShop (both 3DS or Wii U), now is a good time to consider picking them up. Of course, being first-party eShop games they're still fairly pricey compared to other games of comparative age!

Reply 590
Original post by Illusionary
I'm a little surprised that it's taken so long for the topic to be raised at all on TSR - three days is really quite a while :tongue: You'll be wanting this thread, though: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1963400 :smile:

For those who don't yet own any of the Zelda titles that are available from the eShop (both 3DS or Wii U), now is a good time to consider picking them up. Of course, being first-party eShop games they're still fairly pricey compared to other games of comparative age!

ohwell haha, I'll keep the fresher thread since we got a significant amount of new information to catch up on anyway

I love the Zelda sale, I wonder if you can combine the points with Wii U premium
Might be about time to grab Ocarina of Time 3DS then...

(never actually played it.... Wind Waker is one of my favourite games of all time though :colondollar: )
Original post by Illusionary

The OoT is so tempting. I have too many games to play already. They're still pricey and for whatever reason, Nintendo take forever to lower the costs of their games, but they're lower than retail price.

Original post by pinkpenguin
Might be about time to grab Ocarina of Time 3DS then...

(never actually played it.... Wind Waker is one of my favourite games of all time though :colondollar: )

Do it. It's one of the best games ever imo.
Anyone catch the Bayonetta 2 Direct last night? Is it worth watching?
Reply 594
Just got the golden wheels, pairs so nicely with my Yoshi + Jet Bike combo. Decent mix of speed, weight, acceleration. Online's real fun but man, some of the people are either really good, or really merciless...
Original post by NathanW18
Anyone catch the Bayonetta 2 Direct last night? Is it worth watching?

I watched it, not completely worth the watch - just check out the 1/2min videos on the Ninty facebook pages to get the important info!
I'm the current world record holder on Mario Kart Stadium - so far it has stood for 20 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x42QU5UJItQ
Original post by Shawshank
I'm the current world record holder on Mario Kart Stadium - so far it has stood for 20 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x42QU5UJItQ

Flame hopping should be banned.
Cant wait for smash bros will have to add people from here to beat to a pulp ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone.

I own a Nintendo Wii U and I play Mario Kart 8 for it. We got it fairily recently. It took a while getting used to but I now think it's just as good as the previous one for Wii, which we enjoyed. Out of interest what controllers do people use? On the Wii I used the wheel until I started losing, then I switched back to a Gamecube control. Now on the Wii U I use a new controller I bought from Amazon, the classic black one new for U.

How good on people on here? I should say I've never played online. Presumably people on here are so good they can win every race? I played on hard 150cc earlier and won 12 out of 16 races including the first 11, but I'm not sure how that compares in standard.

Has anyone got that free Mercedes update, that is quite cool. Wonder when the new tracks will be released.

Quick Reply

Latest