The Student Room Group

Nintendo Wii U Society

Couldn't find any Wii U threads on here so thought i would start one.

I've been a fan of Nintendo since my first console which was the SNES. Since then, I have bought and enjoyed every console.

Post your NNID here and any thoughts you have on the console itself or any of it's software.

My NNID is Mr.Orange.

I'm looking forward to the new Donkey Kong Country especially since it is my favourite platforming series. The new Sonic also looks pretty damn good (probably since Nintendo is involved).

I'm currently playing Injustice which is pretty good fighter. The story is also pretty cool, I would definitely recommend it. Hoping to buy Resident Evil Revelations in the next couple of weeks since I heard the 3DS one was pretty good.

Scroll to see replies

Oh there have been threads before this one...almost all of them related to the fact the Wii U is failing. Which yesterdays sales numbers seem to reinforce, what was it...10,000 in Europe and Australia between April and July?

I'll buy it when it goes under £100.
Original post by Will Lucky
Oh there have been threads before this one...almost all of them related to the fact the Wii U is failing. Which yesterdays sales numbers seem to reinforce, what was it...10,000 in Europe and Australia between April and July?

I'll buy it when it goes under £100.

I'm sure even Nintendo are expecting poor sales by this point since there are no games for it. But now that Pikmin has been released there is a fairly constant flow of decent and great games coming out between now and December.

You will be waiting until the 9th gen to get it at that price.
I'm certainly going to get myself one of these, when I can afford it (student loads running very thin on the ground!), hopefully sometime this or next year.

It's a real shame that the console is struggling to sell - it's got a lot of potential, but it's absolutely not being utilised. I have huge respect for Nintendo, and don't mind their 'it's ready when it's ready' policy when it comes to games, as this ensures the best quality releases - but the fact that the software line-up for this console is sooooo thin on the ground currently means they really should have got a move on with some key titles early on, as it's going to be a long claw back up even with some decent Ninty titles on board.

Either way, I hope it gains some ground soon!
Original post by Mushi_master
I'm certainly going to get myself one of these, when I can afford it (student loads running very thin on the ground!), hopefully sometime this or next year.

It's a real shame that the console is struggling to sell - it's got a lot of potential, but it's absolutely not being utilised. I have huge respect for Nintendo, and don't mind their 'it's ready when it's ready' policy when it comes to games, as this ensures the best quality releases - but the fact that the software line-up for this console is sooooo thin on the ground currently means they really should have got a move on with some key titles early on, as it's going to be a long claw back up even with some decent Ninty titles on board.

Either way, I hope it gains some ground soon!

I think sales will definitely start to pick up as we get closer to xmas.

If you ever get one, be sure to buy ZombiU (if you like survival horror) it's a fantastic game.
Reply 5
I've got a Wii U. It's really great fun to play but when smash bros and mario kart drops the sales will fire up. The games I've got are NSMBU, Luigi U (DLC) and Nintendo Land, I intend to get Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D world and TLOZ wind waker HD for this year.

I'm looking forward to X, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros and Mario kart in 2014 so far
Reply 6
:rofl2: a Wii U society, oh dear!

Kidding.. I actually want to buy one in about 2 years or so. As soon as there is a 3D Mario and 3D Zelda :ahee:
Reply 7
Original post by Spontogical
:rofl2: a Wii U society, oh dear!

Kidding.. I actually want to buy one in about 2 years or so. As soon as there is a 3D Mario and 3D Zelda :ahee:

I assume by 3D Mario you mean games such as mario 64, galaxy, sunshine etc rather than the kinda 2D but 3D game Super Mario 3D World. I wish they gave another open world one like galaxy instead of this tbh
Reply 8
Original post by Robbie242
I assume by 3D Mario you mean games such as mario 64, galaxy, sunshine etc rather than the kinda 2D but 3D game Super Mario 3D World. I wish they gave another open world one like galaxy instead of this tbh

Yup, that's the type I'm referring to. Something like Mario Sunshine/Mario 64!

I also want a new Starfox game :colonhash:
Reply 9
Original post by Spontogical
Yup, that's the type I'm referring to. Something like Mario Sunshine/Mario 64!

I also want a new Starfox game :colonhash:

Sunshine is by far my favourite 3D mario, the flood mechanic was so unique.

Same! There hasn't really being a good one since Starfox 64 :lol:. The one on gamecube felt more like zelda than starfox
I'm waiting for a 3D Zelda game, same with Mario. Instead they give a remake of the one of the most dividing Zelda games in history and a Mario game that has already proven to be one of the most dividing games so far. Lazy of them to remake Zelda, basically remake the 3DS Mario game with a multiplayer component.

No original titles are due til Mario Kart in Spring, and then Smash Bros at Christmas 2014. Its shocking how little sense they've gone into this thing. You'd have thought the 3DS early life would have been a good sign of how not to carry out a console launch but they've just gone and repeated history.

They released an underpowered system, with no real pull, at too expensive a price completely unprepared for the reality of making HD games on the thing. Its like the company watched every 3DS mistake and committed them again without doing anything that fixed the 3DS.
I have a Wii U, but I haven't played it much. I only bought one because the price dropped a couple months back.

I've played Super Mario Bros U and Super Luigi Bros U. Both games were enjoyable. I bought Pikmin last week, but that's just been sitting here. I need to play that before Xilla comes out.

I'm mainly waiting for MK8, Smash Bros and the new Zelda game. Another 3D Mario game would be cool, too. The one that's coming soon kind of looks like Super Mario Bros U in 3D. A new Mario Sunshine game would be awesome.

I'm surprised that Nintendo went about this the way that they have. Releasing their console selling games 2 years after release isn't a great strategy. I guess they'll have learnt from it and it'll be better when the next generation comes around. Although, the console seems to have done okay in Japan. It's Europe and North America that they've been struggling to move units.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NathanW18

I'm surprised that Nintendo went about this the way that they have. Releasing their console selling games 2 years after release isn't a great strategy. I guess they'll have learnt from it and it'll be better when the next generation comes around. Although, the console seems to have done okay in Japan. It's Europe and North America that they've been struggling to move units.

Thats because they didn't staff their teams properly. Initially games like Super Mario Bros U and Pikmin 3 had a staff the size of a normal Nintendo Wii game. With 6 months to go before launch they realised they hadn't staffed it enough so took developers from other teams to come finish it up. Apparently staffing HD titles with the same amount as an SD title is a good way to go. You'd have thought they'd have got a good idea of what this was like going off the initial teething problems teams encountered during 360/PS3 development 7 years ago.

Pikmin 3 was supposed to be released a lot earlier than it actually was, and other titles were pushed back as a result. So really this Nintendos own fault for not looking at what the competition had done and going in expecting development to be as simple as it was for the Wii.

And in regards to learning from it...this is twice now they've done this. The 3DS didn't see games til several months after its release.
I'm waiting for a 3D Zelda game, same with Mario. Instead they give a remake of the one of the most dividing Zelda games in history and a Mario game that has already proven to be one of the most dividing games so far. Lazy of them to remake Zelda, basically remake the 3DS Mario game with a multiplayer component.

No original titles are due til Mario Kart in Spring, and then Smash Bros at Christmas 2014. Its shocking how little sense they've gone into this thing. You'd have thought the 3DS early life would have been a good sign of how not to carry out a console launch but they've just gone and repeated history.

They released an underpowered system, with no real pull, at too expensive a price completely unprepared for the reality of making HD games on the thing. Its like the company watched every 3DS mistake and committed them again without doing anything that fixed the 3DS.

How are MK and Smash Bros original but Donkey Kong Country, 3D World, Wonderful 101, and Sonic Lost World are not? That doesn't make sense.

The console is already being sold at a loss, and is not really that underpowered in comparison to how underpowered the wii was. And anyway, power isn't everything, just look at previous generations and you'll see that the most powerful console doesn't always win. Gameplay is more important than graphics and Nintendo has always been the king of quality gameplay.

I do agree that they have made some very stupid mistakes with this console though.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler

The console is already being sold at a loss, and is not really that underpowered in comparison to how underpowered the wii was. And anyway, power isn't everything, just look at previous generations and you'll see that the most powerful console doesn't always win. Gameplay is more important than graphics and Nintendo has always been the king of quality gameplay.

By original I meant, not completely remade and taken from elsewhere. 3D World is just a rehash of the 3DS game and in my opinion has looked towards New Mario Bros for inspiration as opposed to its own 3D games as a foundation.
Donkey Kong Country literally not that interesting, just being made because it sold well on Wii. The Retro team would be better off doing what virtually everyone else wants them to do..some Metroid.
Sonic Lost World, only one 3D Sonic game in the past decade succeeded. Sega really shouldn't have gone exclusive.
Wonderful 101...honestly meh? The overall lack of software releases means titles such as this actually get attention.

And yes it is underpowered, in comparison to the XB1 and PS4 more so actually. At least the Wii got ports of some PS3/360 games. The Wii U on the other hand is receiving little in that regard, and the ports it does get increasingly are being cut down on.

And no, the Wii won for a simple reason. It brought in the casuals. The console that gets the casuals wins, Wii Sports and the motion controls initially led to a large surge of casuals.

The Wii U instead has a touchscreen controller that is increasingly a detriment as opposed to a benefit. Nintendo may have uses for the touchscreen controller but Third Parties increasingly do not. Its cost and the uses of it are increasingly problematic.

Nintendo didn't give the proper attention to the hardware itself and focused on that controller. The software teams are way behind. Ultimately I'd say Nintendo just dropped the ball entirely, they walked in thinking a year head start and a similar gimmick to motion control would do it for them. Its about to get destroyed.
Reply 15
I've had mine since launch day (Nintendo fanboy here!) So far have Assassin's Creed 3, Black Ops 2 and of course Nintendoland on the system. Will buy Pikmin 3 this week. I'm so looking forward to Mario Kart 8 next year, but before then I'm sure I'll be buying and playing Watch Dogs, Sonic, Super Mario 3D World, and possibly Rayman.
Reply 16
I have had a Wii U since launch - yes it's had a gaming drought but the future is bright. I recently completed Pikmin 3 - what an amazing game, one of the best games I have played all year! Add me/follow me on Miiverse, my NNID is ZAMtendo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Oh and by the way, even though Nintendo Wii U sales were pretty low the last few months, they still turned a profit - the Wii U isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its about to get destroyed.

lol ok

I'm confused why someone who hates the Wii U so much even bothers going on a Wii U thread.
Original post by navarre
Nintendo fanboy here!)

I'm glad there is at least one other one here!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest