Of course it is possible :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by krisshP
See
http://welovesit.com/tag/big/inspire_000047.jpg

Hahaha lol:tongue:

Of course it is possible :smile:

Hahaha thanks for the reply :tongue:,

Its just ive never really been that good at maths either so still pretty skeptical! Obviously im going to work extremely hard; just hope that it pays off
Reply 3
Any other suggestions by anyone?
Out of interest, who advised this module choice?
Are you self studying?
Reply 5
I'm also looking for an A* in at least Mathematics, an A in Further preferred. I've never thought of myself as amazing at it, but I know I have potential, and I'm willing to work really hard for it.

I'll be sitting with EDEXCEL and I'm wondering if there are any good books out there for it. I've been working through Alpha Workbooks Preparation for AS/A Level Mathematics which goes through previous GCSE concepts as well as new AS concepts.

Stay positive, have confidence, if you try as hard as you can you'll do perfectly fine - I'm not one to believe that there are people just born really good at Maths... At least, if you're here doing AS Levels, and you got at least a B in GCSE Maths, you CAN do well at AS, just depending on how you revise.

PS: I have NO idea about module choices or which ones are the best, I'm just going to go in and see which ones I find the best. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Out of interest, who advised this module choice?
Are you self studying?

The college im going too have suggested it and is their usual plan for studying both A level Maths and Further maths together.

Also i made a mistake it is S2 instead of M4 for the A2 study.

(BTW i always watch your videos and just wanna say thanks :smile:)
Reply 7
Original post by Azure-blue
I'm also looking for an A* in at least Mathematics, an A in Further preferred. I've never thought of myself as amazing at it, but I know I have potential, and I'm willing to work really hard for it.

I'll be sitting with EDEXCEL and I'm wondering if there are any good books out there for it. I've been working through Alpha Workbooks Preparation for AS/A Level Mathematics which goes through previous GCSE concepts as well as new AS concepts.

Stay positive, have confidence, if you try as hard as you can you'll do perfectly fine - I'm not one to believe that there are people just born really good at Maths... At least, if you're here doing AS Levels, and you got at least a B in GCSE Maths, you CAN do well at AS, just depending on how you revise.

PS: I have NO idea about module choices or which ones are the best, I'm just going to go in and see which ones I find the best. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, im pretty much at the same stage as you!
Hope everything goes well for you when you start in September :smile:
Reply 8
Unless you are naturally inclined to mechanics S2 and D1 (D1 is a joke seriously easiest thing you will do) would be much much easier than M3 and M4.
Reply 9
Its possible! :smile: My friend did the exact same thing hehe.
Original post by jamiep151
Unless you are naturally inclined to mechanics S2 and D1 (D1 is a joke seriously easiest thing you will do) would be much much easier than M3 and M4.

Ye i made a mistake its meant to be S2 instead of M4, ill edit that now,
Thanks
Original post by SuperMushroom
The college im going too have suggested it and is their usual plan for studying both A level Maths and Further maths together.

Also i made a mistake it is S2 instead of M4 for the A2 study.

(BTW i always watch your videos and just wanna say thanks :smile:)

You are welcome.
I can't help thinking the suggestions have been made based on what the teachers would prefer to teach rather than what is best for you (unless you have stated a strong desire to follow that would require so much mechanics)

I think your second year is quite tough.
I would be inclined to think about whether you want to do modules such as M3/FP3 when there are more 'student friendly' ways of obtaining an A*

If you are very gifted that won't be a huge struggle but I have reservations about how tough y13 will be compared to year 12

I would be more inclined (assuming an 'average' ability FM student) to go

C1,C2,C3,FP1,M1,M2
C4,FP2,S1,S2,D1,D2

That is one combo and plenty more options on the applied units.

FP3 is a tough course in terms of the amount/content to run alongside what you suggested. I like the course but certainly wouldnt fancy teaching it to an average FM cohort.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by m4ths/maths247
You are welcome.
I can't help thinking the suggestions have been made based on what the teachers would prefer to teach rather than what is best for you (unless you have stated a strong desire to follow that would require so much mechanics)

I think your second year is quite tough.
I would be inclined to think about whether you want to do modules such as M3/FP3 when there are more 'student friendly' ways of obtaining an A*

If you are very gifted that won't be a huge struggle but I have reservations about how tough y13 will be compared to year 12

I would be more inclined (assuming an 'average' ability FM student) to go

C1,C2,C3,FP1,M1,M2
C4,FP2,S1,S2,D1,D2

That is one combo and plenty more options on the applied units.

FP3 is a tough course in terms of the amount/content to run alongside what you suggested. I like the course but certainly wouldnt fancy teaching it to an average FM cohort.
Good luck :smile:

Hey,

Thanks for the reply and do i see where you coming from with the suggestions about Mechanics, however i cant actually change the units now and this will be the proposed plan of study for the next 2 years.

Regarding FP3 and M3 i know their hard and are going to require alot of work, a good way that ive thought might help is if i generally go over the content for these 2 topics in my own time before the 2nd year even start; hopefully by doing this it should makes things a little easier when it comes to doing the actual work.

To be honest the thing im worried about the most is S1/S2 haha i just despise stats and really cant see myself getting 90UMS + in both them exams :s-smilie:

Anyway im starting work for my AS plan now by just looking at course content and generally starting a little bit of work before the term starts in September.

Ill let you know how it all goes :smile:

Thanks
- Super
im doing the same modules as you and dont regret not taking any decision modules despite them being easier (from what i've heard anyway). I'm no genius at maths but I found the mechanics modules pretty cool, and S2 was better than S1
Original post by SuperMushroom
Hey,

Thanks for the reply and do i see where you coming from with the suggestions about Mechanics, however i cant actually change the units now and this will be the proposed plan of study for the next 2 years.

Regarding FP3 and M3 i know their hard and are going to require alot of work, a good way that ive thought might help is if i generally go over the content for these 2 topics in my own time before the 2nd year even start; hopefully by doing this it should makes things a little easier when it comes to doing the actual work.

To be honest the thing im worried about the most is S1/S2 haha i just despise stats and really cant see myself getting 90UMS + in both them exams :s-smilie:

Anyway im starting work for my AS plan now by just looking at course content and generally starting a little bit of work before the term starts in September.

Ill let you know how it all goes :smile:

Thanks
- Super

If you fancy maths at uni FP3 and M3 are great.
S1 is boring (just my opinion) but S2 is a lot more interesting and from experience pupils find it both more enjoyable and better in terms of UMS marks.
Keep flexible but dont load up the 2nd year with too much pressure. Your original plan would be a big ask for most A Level students.
The cohort on the forum here are not representative of the national picture and I would find very few 'normal' schools suggesting something unless they had a reason. Ie they thought you were amazing or they thought they wanted to teach those units over others)
Good luck
Thanks for all the suggestions guys,

Much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest