The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What's wrong with being a virgin?
Nothing at all.
Reply 21
Original post by Party55511
A girl who has had 15 sexual partners before the age of 20.
A girl who has decided to save herself until marriage.
A guy who would prefer a virgin girlfriend.
A guy who wouldn't.
Someone who decides not to have sex at all.

Do you know what the problem with all these people is?

Nothing.

The only problem is people who bash other peoples choices when it doesn't even affect them.

My point exactly. And even if it does "affect" them in the sense that there are less virgins or "experienced" people for them to select from, that's their problem. You can't dictate someone else's sex life. People need to get over that.
Original post by sarahfrancis1991
I read her post as If she means "good" in the sense that you haven't just thrown away your virginity, we live in a society where it is rare for a 20+ year old to be a virgin. I agree with her it certainly isn't a bad thing to be a virgin.

Original post by PinkyQT
This is what I mean :smile:

But there's nothing inherently wrong with having sex. It's not bad to have a lot of sex, and it's not bad to have no sex. Trying to claim that you have some moral higher ground because you have chosen not to have sex while others your age have - it makes no sense.
Reply 23
Original post by Sloaney Pony
That's the point, though, people have to stop making generalisations like "women prefer this" or "men prefer that". Just because you can't imagine something doesn't mean it doesn't hold true.

It is impossible to do a census or get any kind of reliable information on this sort of thing, especially considering people often lie on surveys about sex anyway. If you want to be more experienced go right ahead. If you don't don't.

You're in denial if you think that most girls in their 20s would prefer a virgin unless they were one themselves or very religious. "Prefer" doesnt mean it will be a complete deal breaker if they liked the guy, just that they would rather he wasn't. It also becomes a bigger issue the older they and the guy get.
Reply 24
Original post by Watch Key Phone
But there's nothing inherently wrong with having sex. It's not bad to have a lot of sex, and it's not bad to have no sex. Trying to claim that you have some moral higher ground because you have chosen not to have sex while others your age have - it makes no sense.

Yeah. It's subjective. I mean, you may not want to have sex (before you get married or ever) yourself, which is totally fine, but you can't claim that it's an inherently better thing for everyone to do which is what something being good means.
Reply 25
Original post by Mr Smurf
You're in denial if you think that most girls in their 20s would prefer a virgin unless they were one themselves or very religious. "Prefer" doesnt mean it will be a complete deal breaker if they liked the guy, just that they would rather he wasn't. It also becomes a bigger issue the older they and the guy get.

Not this again. :facepalm:

Plenty of girls don't like guys who've slept around. You've seen why lots of guys today have said they don't like girls who sleep around - it implies (even if none of these are true) commitment issues, STDs, etc etc etc. Now flip the genders. The concept of the "dashing alpha male player who's amazing in bed and can get any girl he wants" is something that turns most girls in my social circle off. In my experience, not as many girls want to be the next notch on someone's bedpost. But everyone has a different opinion on this and people have different friends, so we cannot draw such sweeping conclusions.

Cut out the generalisations. Like I said, anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much here because everyone has a different social circle, and it is practically impossible to do a meaningful study on this sort of thing. Seriously, just cut them out already.
Reply 26
absolutely nothing!
Original post by Watch Key Phone

I completely agree with you. I'm just stating that there is nothing WRONG with being a virgin and I think it is a good thing if the person has chosen to wait until they are ready. I do think it is bad to lose your virginity just because your friends have and you feel socially pressured. But I know alot of teens lose their virginity when they do for the right reasons myself included I was in a relationship and I felt ready.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just like there's nothing wrong with being very experienced.

I might be in the minority that just doesn't give a flying ****. Virginity means nothing to me. Experience means nothing either.

If I have sex with someone, I don't care about either of these. It doesn't come into my thought process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Not this again. :facepalm:

Plenty of girls don't like guys who've slept around. You've seen why lots of guys today have said they don't like girls who sleep around - it implies (even if none of these are true) commitment issues, STDs, etc etc etc. Now flip the genders. The concept of the "dashing alpha male player who's amazing in bed and can get any girl he wants" is something that turns most girls in my social circle off. In my experience, not as many girls want to be the next notch on someone's bedpost. But everyone has a different opinion on this and people have different friends, so we cannot draw such sweeping conclusions.

Cut out the generalisations. Like I said, anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much here because everyone has a different social circle, and it is practically impossible to do a meaningful study on this sort of thing. Seriously, just cut them out already.

Because not being a virgin means sleeping around. :rolleyes: They might not like guys who have slept with a lot of girls, but to say girls prefer guys who are complete virgins instead of guys with some experience is laughable.
Reply 30
Because not being a virgin means sleeping around. :rolleyes: They might not like guys who have slept with a lot of girls, but to say girls prefer guys who are complete virgins instead of guys with some experience is laughable.

Even if "experienced guys" had just been in multiple relationships I know girls who'd be turned off by that - again see why guys today have given reasons as to why they don't like girls who've even just had multiple boyfriends and are not virgins, and flip the genders. Girls can be attracted to "purity" and "being their first" as well, you know. :rolleyes:

Also, you've failed to address my main point, which is that generalisations as to what "society expects" or "girls like" or "boys like" regarding this are damn near useless, there's a good chance they're not true, and actually incredibly harmful given that people's private sex lives are meant to be just that. Private. Which they can't be if others keep going on about "what the opposite sex find attractive." Insisting what a particular gender MUST prefer is ridiculous.
Reply 31
Even if "experienced guys" had just been in multiple relationships I know girls who'd be turned off by that - again see why guys today have given reasons as to why they don't like girls who've even just had multiple boyfriends and are not virgins, and flip the genders. Girls can be attracted to "purity" and "being their first" as well, you know. :rolleyes:

Also, you've failed to address my main point, which is that generalisations as to what "society expects" or "girls like" or "boys like" regarding this are damn near useless, there's a good chance they're not true, and actually incredibly harmful given that people's private sex lives are meant to be just that. Private. Which they can't be if others keep going on about "what the opposite sex find attractive." Insisting what a particular gender MUST prefer is ridiculous.

People's sex lives should be private but let's face it, sex talk tends to come out amongst friendship groups, even yours. How else would you know what they prefer?

So if someone said that most girls prefer a guy who is taller than them, you also find that ridiculous? :facepalm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
People's sex lives should be private but let's face it, sex talk tends to come out amongst friendship groups, even yours. How else would you know what they prefer?

So if someone said that most girls prefer a guy who is taller than them or guys prefer girls who aren't fat, you also find that ridiculous? :facepalm:

That's different. There are clear biological reasons for finding taller guys/girls in good health more attractive. Whereas finding virgins or people with more experience more attractive is an extremely subjective thing given the vast amount of things your sex life implies and the way in which different people assume different things about you based on this. Generally, the way in which you interpret a potential partner's previous sexual history is far, far more complex than "they have a nice figure." It goes beyond simple biological reasons. Look at all the people going on about virginity through history for example. There are people to whom it doesn't matter, but also people with preferences across the spectrum. So, no, you cannot generalise as to what people prefer as to previous sexual experience.

Why "even my" friendship group? My whole point was that people can talk about other people's sex lives, but banging on about "this is what the opposite sex prefers so this is what you must do!!1" is silly, whether in real life or on TSR.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
There is nothing wrong with being a virgin.
Society has double standards, especially for females: if you're a virgin, you are supposedly "frigid", but if you've had sex, you are a "slut".
But not everyone believes this bull****, and they will just accept you for you as a person - not as somebody who is judged purely on their sexual activity!

As the amazing Youtuber Laci Green says: your body, your rules.

I highly recommend anyone to check her out on youtube :biggrin:
Reply 34

So if someone said that most girls prefer a guy who is taller than them, you also find that ridiculous? :facepalm:

Off topic: are you THAT Mr Smurf, perchance? (The person I've heard about who always says no white girl will date an Asian guy)
Nothing wrong with being a virgin.
Nothing wrong with not being a virgin
Nothing

Your milkshake can still bring all he boys to the bar :dance:
Try before you buy :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imo sex is overrated lol, yeah it feels great but so does eating fast food after a drunken night out.
It's really not worth the hassle of being worried about being perceived as a virgin.
People act like sex is a sacred thing, it's really not, it's just sex, it's the most natural thing in the world.
Reply 39
Lets face it- the only person who needs to know if you are a virgin or not is someone you are going to sleep with. If they judge you for it- don't sleep with them. Not worth your time, energy, or in the case of virgins- your virginity.

Nothing to loose sleep over.

Latest

Trending

Trending