The Student Room Group

What makes us equal? - What's the basis of human equality?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mattylong28
Depends what is meant by equality. I say, we're all equal because we're all humans?

This.

The fact that it is so hard for some people to understand this, makes me want to punch a wall.
Reply 21
Original post by SorryInAdvance
There is no reason why it shouldn't be (by equality I'm more getting at quality of life and political rights and opportunity to hold high station) so we shouldn't just impose inequality when there is no moral reason to do so. I disagree with the way the question is asked, what it should be is:"Why aren't people equal?" answer "It's down to the way we gear up our society, in general the child benefits from the good fortune of the parent" lending on from that "So if this inequality is merely a by product of the way we live our lives is there any good reason for it to continue existing?" to which I'd answer, "No".

Well, equality is not the natural state of affairs. Do you see equality in the animal kingdom? Nope. Inequality is the natural state of affairs. Just like not all mountains are equal nor all lions are equal neither humans are equal a priori. Equality is a human construct. It is this construct which I am questioning.
Reply 22
Original post by Juichiro
People often say that we are all equal. What's the basis on this equality?

[Defining "A is equal to B" to mean "if I would take an action with regard to A, I would attempt to take that same action for the same reason with regard to B", with the caveat that if the action would be detrimental when performed with regard to B, I would not take it, but would try to find an action with an equivalent effect on B as the original would on A]

Morally, we should all be equal because we're of roughly the same level of sentience. Anything that is demonstrably sentient, or that we have good reason to believe may be sentient, should be equal. This includes dolphins and great apes.
It remains, of course, to define sentience, and to cope with the "lesser sentience" which appears to be demonstrated by eg. walruses (and, indeed, the apparent fact that sentience comes on a continuum), but that's too thorny for me at the moment - I'm meant to be working :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by olliehus
This.

The fact that it is so hard for some people to understand this, makes me want to punch a wall.

To say "we're all equal because we're all humans" is to say "we're all equal because we belong to group X". You defined Group X as "human species" but others would define Group X as "race Y", some would define Group X as "mammals", some would define Group X as "those with certain intellectual/physical traits". Why should we define Group X as "humans" and not "race Y" or "mammals" or whatever else we want?
Reply 24
I see your point but I don't see how it matters if people are different as result of their choice or as result of forces they cannot control. Anyway, the topic of this thread has a more ethical undertone.

Right, okay then. We'll take it from the top. Beginning from Nihilism, there is literally no reason to go any further without making some basic assumptions. So lets assume that happiness is good, and valuable, and that pain and suffering are bad and should be avoided. Therein lies the beginning of ethics. We should act in ways which maximise happiness, and avoid suffering in conscious creatures which can experience them. Humans, by virtue of their intelligence, sentience, and consciousness, experience both happiness and suffering in a richer and more potent sense than other animals, and so lie at the top of our considerations. Whilst an animal can feel pain and fear, humans can also fall prey to a deep sense of loss of opportunity, worry about the people they will leave behind, and undergo a degree of trauma that requires a developed brain and nervous system to experience.

However, beyond this, there is no reason why we should care more about happiness of one person than another, assuming that the lenses of their consciousnesses function in largely the same way. A gay person experiences pain and happiness just like a straight person, and the same goes for most other dividing lines you can draw.

By following this line of reasoning you can develop more complex conclusions about other ethical dilemmas such as vegetarianism, abortion, and euthanasia, but that's the gist of it, basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Clickety
I could visit another country, for example Thailand, and see a Thai child find a particularly tasty fruit, eat it, and smile, and I would understand how that child felt, the fact that you don't come across fruit that is as tasty as that one most of the time, or that 'nice tastes' are desirable and can make a bad day better, and then, I can wake up from my dream and realise that I was in fact the Thai child, who had seen a foreigner standing there and had imagined what it would be like to be a foreigner, staring at myself. 1.We all have the capability to feel, and we also know that this is actually down to our genetics and biology. 2.We are equal because we all have this same capability to feel, as long as we can be sure we are all human.

Since you have not answered my question I will go ahead and answer this.
1. False. There exist humans with neurological disorders that make them unable to feel (both in the physical and emotional sense).
2. Again false. Not all humans have the capability to feel (either physical or emotions or both).

Your premises are false. That's all I have to say.

Wishful thinking and denial of the difficulties in life.
Reply 27
if you take two people who live on the same street in London, it doesn't mater who they are, they would not be equal(in the sense of being the same), they would be very different, in their profession, physical attributes, educational level etc.

but they are equal in the sense that, they receive(or atleast should) the same opportunities in health care, education, they should have the same rights, they should pay same tax etc they should not be treated better or worse because of their profession, physical attributes, educational level etc.

but I think the OP is looking for a race debate so no point wasting any time going deeper.
Reply 28
Original post by Smaug123
[Defining "A is equal to B" to mean "if I would take an action with regard to A, I would attempt to take that same action for the same reason with regard to B", with the caveat that if the action would be detrimental when performed with regard to B, I would not take it, but would try to find an action with an equivalent effect on B as the original would on A]

Morally, 1.we should all be equal because we're of roughly the same level of sentience. 2.Anything that is demonstrably sentient, or that we have good reason to believe may be sentient, should be equal. 3.This includes dolphins and great apes.
It remains, of course, to define sentience, and to cope with 4.the "lesser sentience" which appears to be demonstrated by eg. walruses (and, indeed, the apparent fact that sentience comes on a continuum), but that's too thorny for me at the moment - I'm meant to be working :P

1. Define sentience
2. Define sentience.
3. If dolphins and great apes are equal to us, then they should have the same legal status as us.
4. Again, you can't quantify something you have not previously defined.

The thing is, in many ways we aren't equal. Clearly some people are more attractive, more intelligent, more courageous. But to have a reasonable and functional society, you do have to exhibit some solidarity with your fellow creatures. You need to treat people equally, even if you don't see them that way.

An interesting fact that informs my view; the DNA in just one human cell, if uncoiled, is 1.8 meters long. If you uncoiled all the DNA in the human body and layed it end to end, it would stretch from the sun to Pluto and a quarter of the way back.

In a sense, we're like these cosmic (not supernatural) creatures, made up of the stuff that used to constitute stars... keeping these things in mind, I find it really hard to understand how people can be so cruel to their fellow humans.

It's for those reasons that I strongly believe in treating everyone equally. Every human being is miraculous, despite our flaws.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well, equality is not the natural state of affairs. Do you see equality in the animal kingdom? Nope. Inequality is the natural state of affairs. Just like not all mountains are equal nor all lions are equal neither humans are equal a priori. Equality is a human construct. It is this construct which I am q uestioning.

Ha! Your problem is you fail to see that there are fairly large parallels between the way animals interact with animals and the way humans interact with humans. Just because they are of a different species to us doesn't make the relationships that they form anymore natural. Note on the mountains, as they can't experience the quality their experiences are equal, so by definition all mountains are equal.
Reply 31
1. Define sentience
2. Define sentience.
3. If dolphins and great apes are equal to us, then they should have the same legal status as us.
4. Again, you can't quantify something you have not previously defined.

I don't disagree with 3, although obviously the specific applicable laws would all be massively different (and possibly self-made); I've already made points 1, 2 and 4, but I note that you never defined "equality".
Reply 32

Being equal means not to judge someone by his race or religion but judge hims for his character,his behaviour to you and the others and if he has dignity or not.

Unfortunately even now in the 21st century there is a lot of discrimination against people.And the society should abandon and even punish such fools
Reply 33
Original post by Oldham123
Right, okay then. We'll take it from the top. Beginning from Nihilism, there is literally no reason to go any further without making some basic assumptions. So1. lets assume that happiness is good, and valuable, and that pain and suffering are bad and should be avoided. Therein lies the beginning of ethics. 2.We should act in ways which maximise happiness, and avoid suffering in conscious creatures which can experience them. 3.Humans, by virtue of their intelligence, sentience, and consciousness, experience both happiness and suffering in a richer and more potent sense than other animals, and so lie at the top of our considerations. 4.Whilst an animal can feel pain and fear, humans can also fall prey to a deep sense of loss of opportunity, worry about the people they will leave behind, and undergo a degree of trauma that requires a developed brain and nervous system to experience.

However, beyond this, 5.there is no reason why we should care more about happiness of one person than another, assuming that the lenses of their consciousnesses function in largely the same way. A gay person experiences pain and happiness just like a straight person, and the same goes for most other dividing lines you can draw.

6.By following this line of reasoning you can develop more complex conclusions about other ethical dilemmas such as vegetarianism, abortion, and euthanasia, but that's the gist of it, basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Nice beginning.
2. Worth noticing that sometimes some pleasures are worth the pain they cost and conversely, some some pleasures are avoided due to the pain they bring along. When is a pleasure worth the pain and when is it not? Here begins the debate.
3. False. Not all humans are intelligent, not all humans can experience pain and not all humans can experience happiness.
4. False for the same reason gave in point 3. Plus not all people care about others.
5. You only seem to be including people here. Why is this so?
6. See point 2. Your hedonistic reasoning breaks down there.
Reply 34
Original post by Baraf
if you take two people who live on the same street in London, it doesn't mater who they are, they would not be equal(in the sense of being the same), they would be very different, in their profession, physical attributes, educational level etc.

but they are equal in the sense that, they receive(or atleast should) the same opportunities in health care, education, they should have the same rights, they should pay same tax etc they should not be treated better or worse because of their profession, physical attributes, educational level etc.

but I think the OP is looking for a race debate so no point wasting any time going deeper.

I am talking about whether not people are equal. I am asking as to why is this so? I am asking for a rational basis of human equality.
Reply 35
To say "we're all equal because we're all humans" is to say "we're all equal because we belong to group X". You defined Group X as "human species" but others would define Group X as "race Y", some would define Group X as "mammals", some would define Group X as "those with certain intellectual/physical traits". Why should we define Group X as "humans" and not "race Y" or "mammals" or whatever else we want?

Sure different people can belong to different groups, but strip away everything, take away the idea of intelligence, take away the idea of us being on top of the food chain, and think about it, anatomically and physiologically any human being is the same, we all have the same organs, have the same general form, and to say that one person is superior than another based on their skin colour (which lets face it, is only due to selection and geographical location) is pure crap. And to say that men are better than women is pure crap as well, because lets face it, most people that say that, would never say that about their mother, nobody would be here to say that if it wasn't for their mother.

Now in my mind to say that we are better than animals, is also pure crap, because lets face it, we didn't ask to be put here on this planet, nor did rabbits, or deer, or fish. Every species has a place on this planet and to say that you're not prejudice because you don't discriminate against people, yet still believe yourself to be better than animals, is contradiction. In all honesty, every person, and every species, has a place on this planet, and we should be able to live without over-fishing and depleting the number of tuna in the sea, we should be able to carry on with life, without having to worry about the fact that there are only 1,850 bengal tigers left in the wild.
Reply 36
Original post by MostUncivilised
The thing is, in many ways we aren't equal. Clearly some people are more attractive, more intelligent, more courageous. But to have a reasonable and functional society, you do have to exhibit some solidarity with your fellow creatures. You need to treat people equally, even if you don't see them that way.

An interesting fact that informs my view; the DNA in just one human cell, if uncoiled, is 1.8 meters long. If you uncoiled all the DNA in the human body and layed it end to end, it would stretch from the sun to Pluto and a quarter of the way back.

In a sense, we're like these cosmic (not supernatural) creatures, made up of the stuff that used to constitute stars... keeping these things in mind, I find it really hard to understand how people can be so cruel to their fellow humans.

It's for those reasons that I strongly believe in treating everyone equally. Every human being is miraculous, despite our flaws.

They don't seem to be reasons for equality. They sound like feelings to me.
In his essay, 'Justice as Fairness', John Rawls gives a pretty good account of equality. We are equal in the sense that we all deserve equal opportunity regardless of any factors, but we are unequal based on variables such as ability, talent, etc.
Reply 38
Original post by SorryInAdvance
Ha! Your problem is you fail to see that1. there are fairly large parallels between the way animals interact with animals and the way humans interact with humans. 2.Just because they are of a different species to us doesn't make the relationships that they form anymore natural. Note on the mountains, as 3.they can't experience the quality their experiences are equal, so by definition all mountains are equal.

1. Elaborate
2. Elaborate
3. It does not follow. You need to elaborate.
Reply 39
Original post by kkovots
Being equal means not to judge someone by his race or religion but judge hims for his character,his behaviour to you and the others and if he has dignity or not.

Unfortunately even now in the 21st century there is a lot of discrimination against people.And the society should abandon and even punish such fools

or gender?

1. Elaborate
2. Elaborate
3. It does not follow. You need to elaborate.

It's clearly not easy - otherwise, someone else would have done it. Provide one yourself, or be constructive with regard to the suggestions of others, or stop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending