The Student Room Group

M1 Vectors problem

Hi,

Could anybody tell me how I can deal with this vector problem?

A ship moves so that its position vector, in metres, relative to a lighthouse at time t seconds is:

r=(800.4t)i+(2t80)j r = (80-0.4t)i +(2t-80)j

THe first part of the question is to find the distance of the ship from the lighthouse when t = 60, which I've done (it's 68.8 metres).

But I'm not sure how to approach the second part:

Find the times when the ship is (i) due north of the lighthouse and (ii) north-east of the lighthouse.

I'm a bit stumped on this one, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by jonnburton
Hi,

A ship moves so that its position vector, in metres, relative to a lighthouse at time t seconds is:

THe first part of the question is to find the distance of the ship from the lighthouse when t = 60, which I've done (it's 68.8 metres).

Find the times when the ship is (i) due north of the lighthouse and (ii) north-east of the lighthouse.

It'll be due north when the boat is directly above the lighthouse, meaning the i component is 0, at what time does that happen?
It'll be due north east when the i and j components are equal...

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonnburton
Hi,

If you draw it out you may establish what each situation means for the i and j components.
Reply 3
Thanks a lot for the replies and information Tedward and m4ths... I think drawing this out does help to visualise the problem, too...

Quick Reply

Latest