The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

architecture... help please!

Hello! I'm Sandra and I'm in yr12 studying English lit/lang, History, Art and Politics.
After reading this thread it has made me very scared and apprehensive, I am not entirely sure why.
I have SO many questions and worries - and I don't know who to ask for help! You seem like the most knowledgable people who are going through what I am worrying about, and I really hope that you can take the time out to help...

- I've wanted to apply for UCL for a good few years now (yes I planned my future out very young) but am increasingly apprehensive about my chances of getting in. I'm predicted good enough grades (around AAB) but I really don't know what would make me stand out, how I can improve my chances of getting in, and what I can do to prepare for applying.

- I'm currently doing work experience at a local firm - Peter Robins Associates - who are very nice people and are teaching me basics of CAD and other design based programmes, and getting a breif feel for the day-to-day routine at a firm as an architect. Is this enough? Or should I look to gain more experience in different firms? Bearing in mind it took me AGES to find an architect willing to take me on...

- Leading on from that, I have basic experience with computer design programmes and am stunned by the computer based professionalism of first year work, should I be learning this myself? Or will it be taught to me?

- I'm in the process of visiting uni's, I'm most interested in UCL, Oxford Brookes, Brighton, Kent, Westminister and possibly Kingston although I was highly unimpressed with their work space and building... I don't want to go very far out of the south-east area and am CRUSHED at the lack of choice in London. I love the AA but wouldn't be able to afford it. Are my choices too limited and basically, rubbish? I haven't seen Kent or Brighton credited much...

- I have no clue about my portfolio, I understand that it has to display a range of different skills but what about presentation? Should it be a clean, professional one or something that represents your individual style - for example mine being very mixed media / sketchy... and also do you compile it of real drawings and pieces or just photographs of them? Because what if you have an interview but another uni wants you to send them your portfolio at the same time??

- I really would love to do architecture and WOULD work for it but I just feel so inexperienced compared to other applicants, and it is so damaging to my self-confidence. What can I do to improve this? Will everyone going into the course have advantages over me?

Basically... I have about a year to prepare... I really don't want to regret wasting this time that I have - and please please please ANY advice is welcome! Thank you!
Reply 1
Have you posted this in the Architecture forum (assuming there is one) ?
They'd probably be able to give you more of an idea as the people there will be doing the course..

Basically, the first thing to do is chill, breathe and not panic.

Uni's want well-rounded people - just make sure you have a life outside of academia.
They also want people to be genuinely interested in their subject, to have a 'passion' and to have carried this into their normal lives - your work experience will look very good as will your skill with computer design programs - make sure to include both of the above in your Personal Statement.

When you say 'first year work' I presume you're referring to university first year? If so..of course you're not expected to be at their standard! You're at school, they're at uni. Thet get taught it at uni..if you know everything entailed in the degree already - what's the point of people going to uni??
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Have you posted this in the Architecture forum (assuming there is one) ?
They'd probably be able to give you more of an idea as the people there will be doing the course..

There isn't an architecture forum but there's a long Architecture Society thread. Here's the link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=101007

I'm not sure how reputed your other choices are but I'm sure UCL is excellent. Other good universities to consider: Manchester, Notts and Sheffield.
You're work experience sounds impressive, make sure you mention it in your Personal Statement!