The Student Room Group

Medicine unconditional?

I have finished my A2 and I think I could get:

Maths - A*

Further Maths - A*

Chemistry- A but i think i can get A*

Physics- B

Certain University told me that if i want to apply for medicine i have to minimum 3A's and then I can do AS biology but I will be doing AS and A2 together.

Is it possible to get an unconditional such as at St. George's University if:
-I get the above grades
-Predicted an A for A2 biology
-ukcat : 820
-Good personal statement
-good interview

??
Reply 1
If you already have your grades, a UKCAT score above the cut-off and perform well in your interview then yes, you'll get an unconditional
A few uni's don't need Biology at A level (Imperial and Cambridge to name two) in which case you'd get an unconditional, otherwise your offer would be conditional on an A (or possibly a C for Barts) in A level Biology or a B in AS Biology
Reply 3
An unconditional is only given by medical schools, other than some historical or very unusual circumstances, to applicants with achieved A-Level grades that meet the minimum requirements of the school, whom have been successful at interview. Effectively you have been given a place, and the place is conditional on you achieving AAA or whatever, but since you already have AAA you are given an unconditional - you have no conditions to entry. It isn't some kind of secret free-entry pass or something, you still need to do well at interview, UKCAT and all that jazz; it's just that you already have your results.
A few universities do not require A2 Biology, but remember that the majority do not accept Maths and Further Maths as 2 A2s. They will only be considered one A2 due to the overlap, so if you manage to get A in Maths, Chemistry and Physics, you could apply post results without Biology.

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/:Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending