The Student Room Group

Please help - Dilemma

Hi all,

So I have an issue that I need some honest answers and views please.

Here is the thing. I have an offer to study at Durham University a place that I always wanted to study and a course which is really good. I am currently undertaking a career change and already studying for a course at UCL which will be finished in September.

I have some savings and need to take around 2500 as a loan to pay the outstanding fees which is not a lot and I can pay that back pretty quickly I think.

I am also a permanent resident in the US and at some stage I will have to move there next year (December 2014).

My question is: Part of me wants to do this masters here right away and go with my masters degree and try get work there. The other part of me thinks I should try and get a masters there, however I have to study for a GRE admissions test and also 2 more years of masters course which means I will only be out of school in 2016 as opposed to 2014.

The additional concern is that I will have to pay for 2 years and while there is a lot of financial help it is only granted to exceptional students and my grades were good but not amazing.

I am already in my 30's and should know the answer for this but I wanted to ask your opinion and views on what should be the best appropriate course of action.

Thanks so much guys. I look forward to hear from you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
On a practical issue - are you going to be able to maintain your US residency by visiting the US while you are studying in the UK (or do you have a re-entry permit)?
Reply 2
Original post by sj27
On a practical issue - are you going to be able to maintain your US residency by visiting the US while you are studying in the UK (or do you have a re-entry permit)?

Yes I do have the re entry permit until December 2014
Reply 3
Personally - I'd take the certainty, time and cost of Durham over not knowing where you might be accepted in the US, the time and cost involved and also - what would you do for the next year or so till the 2014 academic year starts? (I've said all this though without any clue of what you want to study!)
Reply 4
Original post by sj27
Personally - I'd take the certainty, time and cost of Durham over not knowing where you might be accepted in the US, the time and cost involved and also - what would you do for the next year or so till the 2014 academic year starts? (I've said all this though without any clue of what you want to study!)

I would have to continue in London and do temp work without any certainty of getting it plus looking for a job which I don't know if I would get....I want to study energy and Durham has a new masters in Energy and Society run by the Durham energy institute which is affordable.

In the US, I would apply to the University of Texas at Austin, which is a leading university in Energy. The course has around 80 applicants and about 30 are admitted and out of those maybe around 5 or 10 max would get financial assistance from the department.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Energyeager
I would have to continue in London and do temp work....I want to study energy and Durham has a new masters in Energy and Society which is affordable.

In the US I would go to the University of Texas which is a leading university in Energy. The course has around 80 applicants and about 30 are admitted and out of those maybe around 5 or 10 max would get financial assistance from the department..

When you say you "would go", do you mean this is where you would apply? Or do you already have an offer? Ok you edited it to apply -- this seems a risky option unless you have some backup safety schools to apply to as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by sj27
When you say you "would go", do you mean this is where you would apply? Or do you already have an offer? Ok you edited it to apply -- this seems a risky option unless you have some backup safety schools to apply to as well.

Yes with the other issue being that I still don't hold an offer in the US. I have an offer from Durham and US is all very risky.

The only school I would consider is the University of Texas for this area nothing else...and it is already quite hard to get into I gather...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending