The Student Room Group

Grammar sixth forms

Scroll to see replies

I did my GCSEs at a really bad comprehensive (5 A* - C including English and Maths was 33% the year I left and there were about 500 people in my year) so I went to the boy's grammar school just off the island I live on. As grammar schools go, they were poor as, but I think people take sixth form more seriously than if I were to have stayed at the comprehensive. Also, instead of doing 3 A-Levels (even though at the time they were trying to shove everyone onto BTEC) I did 4 A Levels with General Studies (which is obviously useless). It was a nice environment, and I'm definitely glad I went there.

We had to wear 'business wear' so the guys all wore suits, though towards the end the trousers got subbed for chinos, but they still looked good. Girls ended up pretty much getting away with anything as long as you didn't look messy.

On the whole, you tend to get given text books, but expensive ones like the Haralambos you only had them in class, if you wanted it for homework you had to take it out of the library or buy your own copy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending