The Student Room Group

Will any university in the UK ever be comparable to Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ukmed108
Well the truth is that almost no one rejects Cambridge. I think like 97% of the people given offers to Cambridge or Oxford take them up.

This is no longer true although there are no published stats for this (no shows are mixed up with "didn't meet offer"). No shows are slightly different to "did not accept offer".

There has always been a small problem with overseas no shows which is why the universities try to get internationals signed up to legal contracts to pay fees prior to A level results day. Surplus places can then be absorbed by open offer candidates, discretion with missed grades and at Cambridge the summer pool.

What used to be unheard of, but is now an increasing problem is the UK no show. These are candidates who accept a place but then choose to study in, almost invariably, the USA.
In terms of prestige outside the UK, definitely yes. Thing is most of the time the evaluation will be subject-based. If you are asking about the overall reputation, then there is a totally different picture.
Haven't you heard of London Business School?
Though they only offer graduate programs, MBA and MSc Finance, the courses are regarded more prestigious than from either Oxford or Cambridge.

Warwick Business School id also up there. Or, almost.
Original post by Incredimazing
In terms of reputation/prestige, etc., will any universities ever be on par with the famous Oxbridge? There seems to be such a gap between them with other top uni's such as UCL, LSE and Imperial - buy why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not sure about overall. However, I know for History, Durham is certainly of equal standards as Oxbridge.
Original post by Tomm98
I am not sure about overall. However, I know for History, Durham is certainly of equal standards as Oxbridge.

It does not appear so.

https://www.researchprofessional.com/media/pdf/UoA30_History.pdf

It does not have the same departmental size, nor does it have similar quality.

I think KCL and Warwick have a better claim to that equality.
Original post by RoyalBeams
It does not appear so.

https://www.researchprofessional.com/media/pdf/UoA30_History.pdf

It does not have the same departmental size, nor does it have similar quality.

I think KCL and Warwick have a better claim to that equality.

Not entirely sure what you are trying to prove by citing such outdated figures.
There isn't a gap between those universities, except in the view of 6th form students who spend too much time poring over newspaper league tables. Research conducted at any of those is comparable to that conducted at the others. Some aspects of that research may surpass the others, and other aspects may not, but on the whole they are equal. The great amount of academic collaboration between them is testament to that.
Original post by Tomm98
Not entirely sure what you are trying to prove by citing such outdated figures.

Outdated?

It is the 2014 REF.

Do you have any recent data/evidence/figures that proves something different?
sounds like a Duhrum first-year.
(edited 5 years ago)
?

Durham have won UC twice, the last time Durham was in 2000 (previously 1977). Since 2000 Cambridge have won 5 times and Oxford 6.
Ah yes, let me get my crystal ball out and look thousands of years into the future with perfect clarity.
I hate this idea that oxbridge is best at anything. Imperial, Durham, Warwick, St. Andrews and UCL are amazing unis who have areas that match oxbridge or are even better than them in.
I’m glad this thread just got revived from 5 yrs ago πŸ”₯
On QS Durham is 3rd after Harvard and Oxford, Cambridge is 4th.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2018/theology-divinity-religious-studies

These rankings entirely depend on the methodology, and some are including stuff that really isn't so relevant for aspiring undergrads.

Pick the course you actually want to study at a university you want to be at for 3 or so years. If that's Durham then great. :yy:
Whilst I agree with the general sentiment of your post - in that there are departments that rival Oxbridge's, and that Oxbridge isn't the best place for everyone - I'd like to ask about two of the statements in your post. The first is the one I've snipped above.

How readily available are these "one-on-one" sessions? Are they the main form of teaching for every single subject taught at Durham? :dontknow:

I'm also intrigued on how you can realistically judge that the professors are "much nicer" at Durham. For one thing, you can surely only speak from your subjective experience of a single subject. Secondly, professors move from university to university, so this in surely a very arbitrary point of yours anyway: the tutors you may have at Durham at the moment aren't always going to be there! :wink:

But most importantly, I'd like to ask how you are judging this "much nicer" business. Your posts suggest you interviewed at Cambridge, didn't get in, and have firmed Durham - am I correct? If so - with all due respect - then I'd like to suggest you have insufficient experience to make a proper judgement about how nice either Oxbridge OR Durham professors really are. But I'm interested in hearing your reasons for this statement, even if I think you're a little wrong :wink:

it’s college system is the same but let’s you in on merit over money

I can't tell you how much I am facepalming my end in London over this statement. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt ( :wink: ) and ask: what makes you say this about Oxbridge? Do you honestly think it's money over merit? :confused:

Interested to hear your responses - hope you won't ignore me and to receive a fully-evidenced reply :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest