The Student Room Group

Aqa Business Unit 6

Right ok, so im revising like hell because this is by far the hardest Alevel business exam... so i know its synoptic- but appart from external influences and sources of finance from AS what else do we revise? I've searched past papers and past answers and there is nothing at all on any finance etc but i just want to know if people are going to incorporate like HRM and marketing into the questions etc just to add AS stuff in? Or should we just stick to the A2 topics- it doesnt really then seem that synoptic at all!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im just going through the Syllabus from aqa.org.uk and revising each little bit, not much though, done probably 2.5hrs for business in total.
Reply 2
Basically the exam will test you on external influences and objectives and strategy, however 20% of the marks are for synoptic relationships, so within your answers you need to draw together other areas of the specification, and not just A2 either, you could/need to bring into some of your answers some AS content, this will help to show you understand that areas of business dont run on there own, many areas can be drawn together.

Also remember 40% of the marks are for evaluation, so always evaluate on all questions within the paper.

Read the case study carefully at the front of the paper and make sure you apply the questions to it, as this will get you your application marks.

Good luck.
Go over the Syllabus well and be confident in your ability to tie all major business concepts in with all aspects of module 6 i.e how HR is effected by high unemployment or how interest rates effect loan term liabilities and so on... and evalute lots.
Reply 4
wat kind of layout is this paper? i am right in thinking you get a small case study and then about 5 questions mainly based around you making a decision or coming to a judgement?
yer that's right me thinks.
BUS6 is my next and last exam. I'm feeling really de-motivated (Business link-see what I did there?!) about it, I'm winding down from all my other exams really. Finding Business really hard to revise, but think the best thing to do is exam papers. Much of the content is common sense, so exam technique is more important. What d'ya reckon?
I havnt done a past paper for revision in BS ever...maybe thats where im goin wrong....! Get used to the time conditions. And yer I think we get it:P always joke about being in motivation and demotivation into every question...u can always bring in both lol.
Reply 8
Yeah.. exam questions are the best practice. Its not just what you write, its how you write it. In BUS6, the content points are only a small % of the overall mark, the emphasis is on application, analysis and evaluation - and you can only really practice that by doing practice questions and trying to learn how to write in those ways. Its also good to practice to get the timing right.

Im really worried about BUS6. I thought BUS4 was okay, I expected it to be a lot harder. But BUS6 is going to be hard because I find that they are always in a lot more depth and the balls in your court a lot of the time, you have to make decisions which are analysed and in context. I also find it hard to get to the high bands of evaluation. Has anyone got any tips for evaluation marks? I'm thinking if I try to evaluate as much as I can and show judgement throughout, and put a bit of 'In conclusion..' at the end of each question, I might be okay. But I don't know what else I could do anyway!

Em xxx
Reply 9
yh buz6 is by far the hardest paper from all the other business ones, i have got an A in buz 4 and 5, but in buz 6 i have gt a D and the a U. Basically its vital that you writes loads for evaluation instead of jus blagging on about every single little business point you can think off and you have to relate it to the case study you have been given if you want to head for the top marks. Lets hope there an easy paper this time round good luck everyone
Reply 10
I think you will be suprised at what you can pick up evaluation marks for. I found this advice from AQA helpful:

Comment on the reliability of the evidence - i.e. the sources / appendixes
E.G. You are given a decision tree in BUS6 and it tells you in small print that the source of this data is the manager or company in the case study. You would pick up evaluation marks for saying that their may be an element of bias

Staying with data given in the case study, you also get evaluation marks for distinguishing between fact and opinion

Examiners also like it if you are selective with the data given ensuring that it is relevant to the question

In addition judgement of the wider issues and implications e.g. if considering data from a decision tree consider the qualitative factors also such i.e. PEST

Other people in this thread have commented on the use of AS content. This is a good way of picking up marks as it shows you have not simply forgotten all the AS content! these include issues such as Price elasticity of demand, income elasticity of demand, TQM, Kaizen etc.

Oh and a little tip i believe something on exchange rates will appear, just a hunch.

Hope this post helps people and good luck to everyone on Thursday
Reply 11
I'm really not so worried about this exam, when we were going through the stuff in class I found it quite logical, but it's just the layout of the exam which is a bit tricky
Reply 12
Hey guys, don't worry if u do or dont no all the theory bits.. itz basically just common sense. U just gotta know the main stuff. It doesnt matter whether the examiner does or doesnt agree with what you are saying as long as you back it up with relevant data and evaluation points!
Think about the decision, reason, implications, competition and evaluation in every answer. And apply the effects and cause of the decision made by a firm.
Keep on analysing and predicting what will happen.. e.g. this will increase consumer demand which will increase profits, as a result the firm will be able to expand with economies of scale. this will enable them to break into a new market with new products and create a larger customer base.

Goodd lukkkk! x
Anj V
Hey guys, don't worry if u do or dont no all the theory bits.. itz basically just common sense. U just gotta know the main stuff. It doesnt matter whether the examiner does or doesnt agree with what you are saying as long as you back it up with relevant data and evaluation points!
Think about the decision, reason, implications, competition and evaluation in every answer. And apply the effects and cause of the decision made by a firm.
Keep on analysing and predicting what will happen.. e.g. this will increase consumer demand which will increase profits, as a result the firm will be able to expand with economies of scale. this will enable them to break into a new market with new products and create a larger customer base.

Goodd lukkkk! x

Our teacher suggest not to make such extreme answers and decisions instead use words such as Potentially or may or possibly. He suggests you cant be certain within the business environment and that by making such extreme statements may actually cause harm to your mark and overall grade for this paper.
That's a good point
Reply 15
From looking at other posts, it seems people are concentrating heavily on strategic planning, social responsibility, political influences and exchange rates. Anybody see anything else likely to come up because of what they saw in the BUS5 paper?
Reply 16
I dunno but ever since they started making the case study's about real businesses the questions seem to have got harder.
Reply 17
Its just probably me but i reckon that Rover (Car Company) may be the case study.
Reply 18
I have a feeling for BAA or something like Tescos/a supermarket..
Reply 19
LuckySeven
I dunno but ever since they started making the case study's about real businesses the questions seem to have got harder.

Yea... I agree, definately!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending