The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2014 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind if I join this thread?

I'm not sure If I count as a "mature" student, as I'm not over 25 - but I'm counted as one by the universities because I have a child and I'm 22, living with a partner and been out of education since 2009.

Wee bit of background, I left school in 2009 With AAAABBC in highers.

Started Medical Biochemistry at Glasgow University after narrowly missing a place on the Dentistry course at Glasgow, but decided it wasn't for me and dropped out - a decision I now regret!

I went to work full time and fell pregnant at the age of 19, by my partner of 5 years. We moved in together in June 2011, and our daughter was born in october 2011.

Due to the cost of childcare etc I have had to wait until my boyfriend graduated from University before I could go back. He graduated this year, so here I am!

I am planning on doing HNC Applied Sciences this year (fingers crossed I get in!) and applying to study Anatomy at Glasgow University in 2014.
What are you currently studying/have studied - Access to HE in Biological and Environmental Science
Which universities are you applying to. - Liverpool, Chester, Salford and Cardiff
Which course(s) do you want to do. - Biomedical Science

:s-smilie:
Reply 42
What are you currently studying/have studied. A-Levels (Economics, English Lit, Politics)
Which universities are you applying to. Oxford, Kings, Nottingham, Warwick, LSE
Which course(s) do you want to do. LAW
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm 21 :wink:
I haven't seen this be posted before, but if I duplicate I apologise!!

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone is applying for and where (your five choices)

maybe when we all get our results it would be fun to look back and see where we go!!

so I am applying for Psychology with Philosophy and my five choices are:

Oxford
Bath
Bristol
Exeter
Southampton/St Andrews
I am applying for physics. My choices are:

Surrey
Southampton
Portsmouth

Those are the only three within reach of my home.
Reply 45
Economics

Queen Mary
SOAS
Royal Holloway

Undecided on the other two, I'd love to go to LSE but seeing as I only have an ACCESS course with majority merits and will be teaching myself A levels in one year (thus no AS results to show) my chances of getting offers from those three are slim enough so I probably won't waste an option on LSE.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Anthropology

Oxford Brookes
Brunel
SOAS
Birmingham
Trinity Saint David

It was difficult to choose as not many universities offer Anthropology! Infact, whenever I tell people what I want to study they ask me what Anthropology actually is!
Reply 47
Hi, I'm doing a science and nursing access course and will hopefully get a place next year to do Adult Nursing.

My 5 choices are:
University of East Anglia
University of Hertfordshire
Northampton
Nottingham
And hopefully Surrey, but I'm not sure if they accept the access course, I'm waiting on an email back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Hi,
The course that i want to apply is primary education with/leading to QTS
Leeds trinity university
Leeds metropolitan University
Bradford college
?
?
Reply 49
Looking to apply for Adult Nursing next year, currently doing Access to Nursing, Science and Health.

Applying to:-
Hertfordshire
Anglia Ruskin
City
Kings London

Need to commutable as have children and can't move away!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I'm currently doing community college classes here in the states. I'm applying next year for Italian. My choices are:

Bristol
Exeter
Warwick
Reading
Cardiff

I'm not 100% sure about Cardiff yet though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by Coffeetime
Hi. I'm currently doing community college classes here in the states. I'm applying next year for Italian. My choices are:

Bristol
Exeter
Warwick
Reading
Cardiff

I'm not 100% sure about Cardiff yet though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cardiff is a very good university, it's in wales (which you may think is just a country full of sheep - but it isn't) but Cardiff is very busy! There's great nightlife too, but I think i've been corrupted by watching too much 'The Valleys' on MTV!
Original post by Kelytha
Cardiff is a very good university, it's in wales (which you may think is just a country full of sheep - but it isn't) but Cardiff is very busy! There's great nightlife too, but I think i've been corrupted by watching too much 'The Valleys' on MTV!

I'm actually keen to explore all of the UK, so I don't think poorly of Wales at all. I've read there are plenty of rentals available too, which is a plus!
Reply 53
Original post by Coffeetime
I'm actually keen to explore all of the UK, so I don't think poorly of Wales at all. I've read there are plenty of rentals available too, which is a plus!

I live in England so i'm not sure if it's cheaper to rent in Wales than over here. I recommend you look on some websites as some areas of the UK are cheaper than others (if that affects your decision).

I do recommend you visit wales though, the locals are very friendly and nearly everyone speaks English.
What are you currently studying/have studied. Access to HE Science (Physics, Earth and Environmental sciences, GCSE Maths, GCSE English, Some lvl 3 Maths units).
Which universities are you applying to. Southampton, Bristol. Sussex.
Which course(s) do you want to do. MPhys Physics with Nanotechnology.
Any other info you feel like sharing. I start my access course tomorrow (Monday 9th September).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MrEFeynman
What are you currently studying/have studied. Access to HE Science (Physics, Earth and Environmental sciences, GCSE Maths, GCSE English, Some lvl 3 Maths units).
Which universities are you applying to. Southampton, Bristol. Sussex.
Which course(s) do you want to do. MPhys Physics with Nanotechnology.Any other info you feel like sharing. I start my access course tomorrow (Monday 9th September).

Did you go to Soton open day Friday/Saturday at all??
In June, I went to the Friday open day.
Reply 57
What are you currently studying/have studied I'm just about to start an animal nursing assistant course

Which universities are you applying to I'm applying to Anglia Ruskin/The college of West Anglia (they are partnered for the degree I want to do)

Which course(s) do you want to do Veterinary nursing with applied animal behavior

Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm 25, two years ago I started a degree in Adult nursing at The university at Hertfordshire but I quickly released it was not for me and I am now applying to do something that I am really passionate about
What are you currently studying/have studied. Access to Social Sciences and Humanities based at Edinburgh University
Which universities are you applying to. Edinburgh, Napier, Herriot Watt and Queen Margaret
Which course(s) do you want to do. Psychology
Any other info you feel like sharing. Getting myself ready to apply for starting in 2014. Really hope I can get in to Edinburgh (I am a 'mature student' at the age of 21!)
Reply 59
What are you currently studying/have studied? Access to H.E. - Teaching and Humanities at Mid Kent College.

Which universities are you applying to? Liverpool John Moore's, University of Kent

Which course(s) do you want to study? BSc (Hons) Outdoor Education,
BA (Hons) Religious Studies
With either History or English and American Studies. A bit if a mix I know. Still not decided on my other choices but Outdoor Ed is my firm choice.

Any other info you feel like sharing?
I like pancakes with maple syrup...erm I dunno.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending