The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2014 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elenffion
Glad someone understands, I'm excited but nervous & worried all at the same time, I've also not left work yet, I'm working right until the 19th, I didn't see any point in not working as I'm having 6 weeks off atm! So I'm just as nervous about my 'leaving day' too!! Are you going to the freshers fair? Xx

The last day at work is strange. I finished work last year after taking redundancy and after working for so long it's been strange not going to work everyday and going to college instead. Yes I'm going to freshers I thought it was probably the best way to meet some people off my course. We've got some excursions that week as well apparently. I assume that depends on the weather though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MollyApple
Congratulations to all those getting Access results, reading your posts you've worked so hard to get them.

After a lot of unexpected delays, its finally confirmed I'm going to Brighton in Sept to study Fashion & Dress History and I'm over the moon! In the end it really was the only place and course I wanted so my only option - found it so helpful being able to tailor the PS exactly to one uni.

Dreaded accommodation hunt now for somewhere for me and my daughter, she needs an address even more urgently because of school for her. In the meantime I'm rebuilding a bike for the commute.

As for the mature student thing, I don't consider myself very old right now at 33, however when I contemplate that I'll turn 37 just after I graduate, suddenly I feel over the hill and wonder what I've been doing all my life!

Brighton is a lovely place to live, although a little expensive thanks to those who live there and commute to London, but it's a quirky little city. I lived there for a few years during my early thirties.

As for being old, my immediate career ambition is to gain a PhD in my chosen field by the age of fifty!

Bike? Motorised or pedal variety?
Original post by Tim TIC
Brighton is a lovely place to live, although a little expensive thanks to those who live there and commute to London, but it's a quirky little city. I lived there for a few years during my early thirties.

As for being old, my immediate career ambition is to gain a PhD in my chosen field by the age of fifty!

Bike? Motorised or pedal variety?

I've lived in Brighton, Hove Actually and Portslade so it feels a bit like coming home :smile: My sister lives in Lancing so I'm looking to live in Worthing or Shoreham to take advantage of a bigger place for my money.

Pushbike for the moment, I have a rose-tinted vision of me gliding down the sea front, leather college panniers on back off to Grand Parade. The reality of course will be huddled down in the pouring rain, fighting a mean headwind while my coursework slowly turns into papier-mache in my not-so-waterproof as I thought bags... I'm turning an old, retro 3 gear into a winter commuting bike, hub brakes, few more gears, folding being operative so I can jump on the train when the reality gets a bit too much!

I used to ride the motorised version and while sat in a car going nowhere for half hr yesterday, watched the motorbikes weaving through, thinking hmm...maybe I should... I've done the Ace cafe London to Brighton, fantastic day out.

Good ambition with PhD, are you on track? Im tepted to do a PhD after, but keep reminding myself, one step at a time! Chatting to friends suddenly finding lots of people who've done their degrees in their late thirties and forties. I actually feel much more prepared, keen and focussed to do this degree compared to when I was 19 when it was a case of "doing the expected thing". It didn't feel right for me then, it does now. Wish I had a bit more of my twenties energy and motivation for the social life but I'm still looking forward to being a student instead of teaching them.

Quick Reply

Latest