The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2014 University Applicants

I think we should have a separate thread for mature university applicants using the same format as last year. I'll go first shall I? :shades:

What are you currently studying/have studied
. Currently doing a CertHE Humanities with the Open University
Which universities are you applying to. UCL, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Royal Holloway
Which course(s) do you want to do. Scandinavian Studies, Scandinavian Studies and History, European Studies
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm applying for a deferred entry
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Samual
I think we should have a separate thread for mature university applicants using the same format as last year. I'll go first shall I? :shades:

Which universities are you applying to. UCL and Edinburgh
Which course(s) do you want to do. Scandinavian Studies, Scandinavian Studies and History

1. Starting Access to HE Diploma in Nursing, Health and Science in Sept
2. Herts, Anglia Ruskin, City and Kings London
3. Mental Health or Adult Nursing
4. Waiting to start work to firm my decision. Erring towards Mental Health but want to be sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It would be cool if people included their age I think, shows the variety of people deciding to return to education.

1) Access to Teaching
2) Nottingham Trent, Derby, Possibly Sheffield Hallam
3) English or Education (BA Hons)
4) 22 - have worked in a school for 4 years now want to be a teacher.
What are you currently studying/have studied. Currently doing courses at my local community college. Getting my grades up, taking some modern language classes. :smile:
Which universities are you applying to. Exeter, Bristol, Warwick. Not sure about the other two. Exeter is my absolute favourite.
Which course(s) do you want to do. Italian! Maybe Italian and Classics.
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm actually not applying until next year, but only so I can make application more appealing and save moneyyyyy.
Reply 4
1) will be studying access to nursing at derby college in september.
2) will be applying for derby and nottingham (derby based)
3) nursing degree - cant afford to move too far from home
4) have been putting it off for a while due to lack of funds and time but i can now afford tge fees and will have a part time day job to try and earn as well!
Reply 5
1) Starting an Access to health professions course in September and also re-taking my GCSE maths.
2)I will be applying to Oxford Brookes and UWE. I need to keep my Uni choices fairly local because of family.
3)I'm going to apply for Adult nursing.
4)I'm 36, I'm really looking forward to Uni, I only did 1 year of college when I left school and feel like this is a new start for me. Also going to be volunteering in my local hospital from the end of the month.
1. Starting foundation year at Derby University next month!
2. Because I'm doing foundation; my degree will have to be at Derby!
3. Tourism Management (Joint Honours) at the Buxton campus!
4. I've only left education a year ago and now i'm back in it for four years :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
1. Starting Access to HE - Humanities
2. Will be applying to oxford brookes and birmingham for sure.
3. Anthropology - Either with african studies or history.
4. I'm a little nervous, as i'm starting this course while caring for my mum at home.
Reply 8
What are you currently studying/have studied. Access to Social Science.
Which universities are you applying to. King's College, Queen Mary, SOAS.
Which course(s) do you want to do. International Relations.
Any other info you feel like sharing. I can't wait until 2014, I'm legit ready to kill myself in anticipation.
Reply 9
What are you currently studying/have studied. Cert Health & Social Care with the OU, and Introducing Health Sciences
Which universities are you applying to. UCLan - just the one!
Which course(s) do you want to do. Adult Nursing
Any other info you feel like sharing. Got an unconditional offer and start Jan 14. I'm 29 and work for an architects so this is a complete career change - very exciting!
Reply 10
What are you currently studying/have studied. Currently doing a business degree in Croatia
Which universities are you applying to. King's College
Which course(s) do you want to do. Medicine Graduate/Professional Entry Programme
Reply 11
What are you currently studying- I being Access to HE in September
Which universities are you applying to - Cardiff, University of South Wales and UWE
Which course(s) do you want to do - Mental Health Nursing
Any other info you feel like sharing - The excitement is killing me :smile:
Reply 12
1) From September I will be studying an Access to Humanities course in London.

2) University of Oxford, LSE, Bristol, Queen Mary and Kings. May change my mind on a couple of those though.

3) History & Politics, International Relations.

4) I've already been to university but hated my course so hopefully have found what I love now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
1. From September will be studying Access in Humanities at Leeds City College. 2.Hopeing to study it University of Leeds or Huddersfield. 3. English and History. 4.Quitting my full time job at a factory, been there since I was 17 I'm now 25 nearly 26 so will be a shock having no money lol.
Reply 14
What are you currently studying/have studied. Starting Access to HE Diploma in Health Science in a few weeks! Extremely excited! Doing an IGCSE alongside it as well as working part-time so I have my work cut out!

Which universities are you applying to.
Salford, Huddersfield, Leeds Uni, Leeds Met, York St Johns, University of Bradford...Depends what I decide to apply for!

Which course(s) do you want to do.
Still debating whether to apply for Adult Nursing, Occupational Therapy or Podiatry. They all appeal to me in different ways.

Any other info you feel like sharing.
All the above mentioned areas appeal to me muchly, but obviously I can only do one! I have some experience of care & support work (only about a years worth though), and am applying for 'placements' shadowing experience with podiatrists and occupational therapists so I can actually see in action what they do day-to-day, and hopefully it will help me decide which to go with! I don't have too long to decide as applications start in a few months! Hope to study part-time as I need to work part-time as I have bills to pay. OT and Podiatry offer part-time but Nursing doesn't seem to, so this is a bit of a concern!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
What are you currently studying/have studied. Bsc Social Sciences and Psychology

Which universities are you applying to. BCU only.
Which course(s) do you want to do Adult Nursing in January
Any other info you feel like sharing
As my unusual answers suggest I have already completed some time at University at a younger age (17-21). However I craved something more hands on and so I am just a short while away from commencing basic training in the forces. I will be joining as a student nurse and be working with the forces during and after my degree. So technically I have an unconditional to start adult nursing in 2014! Hoping to meet a lot of down to earth people who think there is more to life than partying!
Reply 16
hi :smile:
i have a conditional offer for adult nursing at Birmingham city for january 2014 :smile:
x
Reply 17
What are you currently studying/have studied: Starting access to humanities in sept!
Which universities are you applying to: City Uni London, Sheffield, Nottingham Trent, UCLAN and Salford....though I'm a bit undecided on Uclan and might change it for another London Uni
Which course(s) do you want to do: Journalism/Print Journalism
Original post by Samual

Which universities are you applying to. UCL and Edinburgh
Which course(s) do you want to do. Scandinavian Studies, Scandinavian Studies and History

In September, i'll be studying access science course.

I'll be applying to Portsmouth, DMU, LJMU, Bradford and Kingston.

Pharmacy

I'll be 21 when I start university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Hi y'all
im after some info on the access entry test. I'm doing it on Thursday. I got a U (ungraded) on my maths GCSE and I revised for it! So I'm rather crapping my pants at the thought of doing a maths test 15 years later!
is the maths part of the test on a computer? Is it multiple choice? What things are covered in the test regarding maths?
Any info would be great thanks.
oh and I'm hopefully going to become a social worker. If I ever get that far! Lol
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending