The Student Room Group

Holiday during sixth form

Hey, i am going into the second year at sixth form and have been invited to go on holiday with my boyfriends family for his 18th. Unfortunately it cuts into the first two days back at school - a thursday and friday. I don't see this as a problem but my parents do and won't let me go :frown: I know there has been a new law about being fined if you go on holiday during term time and just wondered if this applied to sixth form? As sixth form isn't compulsory? And does anyone have any ideas of how i can try and change my parents mind? thanks
Reply 1
Original post by sherlock09
Hey, i am going into the second year at sixth form and have been invited to go on holiday with my boyfriends family for his 18th. Unfortunately it cuts into the first two days back at school - a thursday and friday. I don't see this as a problem but my parents do and won't let me go :frown: I know there has been a new law about being fined if you go on holiday during term time and just wondered if this applied to sixth form? As sixth form isn't compulsory? And does anyone have any ideas of how i can try and change my parents mind? thanks

http://www.education.gov.uk/popularquestions/a005551/can-i-take-my-child-on-holiday-in-term-time?

First of all I'm not sure if you would count in the above due to being in sixth form. Hopefully somebody else will clarify.

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pupilsupport/behaviour/attendance/a00208166/penalty-notices

The first section on this highlights the procedure, but again even though it says up till 16, this was from a year ago so may have changed.

I read somewhere that schools occasionally grant family holidays for 10 days, though you aren't even going with you're own family and I think they mean wedding. Only in exceptional do they grant more (funeral/family illness?)

My sixth form was very laid back and didn't question absences, but has been taken over by new head and obviously the possible recent rule changes? mean that my younger brother would find it slightly harder than me to take any days off.

If you're sixth form is laid back, there is the standard bunking option, only you know how effective this would be; do they question your classmates if you miss a day of school?

You could tell them, slight chance they will authorise as it is beginning of year and say you were too poor to book the earlier standard holidays during the peak season. If they don't authorise ask them what will happen. If they say possible fine, that's a risk you take and if you're willing to pay the £60 then why not? In this case you may want to pay your parents as technically it's them who get find for not sending you to school. However, the compulsory question rises again because that was if you're compulsory. If you are not compulsory they could kick you out for non-attendance, though unlikely.

I took a holiday to my cousin's wedding in India, missing the last 8 days of autumn term when I was in second year of sixth form with my brother who was in year 10 and my mum who worked in another school.
My brother and I told them a couple of months before but weren't authorised, so our absence was non-authorised. They sent us a letter before we went that we 'could' face fine of £50(at the time) each. We had already booked tickets plus knowing my sixth form was so laid back we didn't mind that much.

I know I haven't helped completely but hopefully I've provided you a bit at least plus a 'bump' :colondollar:
Original post by sherlock09

I dont think it will apply, as you are in 6th form, and it isnt compulsory or anything (like if you went to college). Id just double check though.
I didnt think the fines for going on holiday during term time had come in yet, but i may have missed something, and may be wrong. It all depends on your school to be honest. I was going to suggest speaking to the school and see what they say, but seeing as its the school holidays, its likely no one will be there.
Id speak to your mum about it again. If the worst comes to the worst, you could phone up and say you are ill. (or get your parents to phone up)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending