The Student Room Group

Feminist showing their true colours re lad mags

So by now, we're all fully aware of the feministazis campaign against those salacious lad mags because they're too sexual and cause harm to children despite no evidence for such. This has been their selling point and focus of their campaign, with many repeating that they have no desire to have the magazines banned.

Now, the industry has acquiesced to their desire with plans to only have prudish toned-downed front cover (similar to those seen in many other magazine especially womens' magazine). Not only this, they are also going to place the magazines at the back of the shelf so that their front cover is obscured by other magazine (you know to protect those innocent children from this evil thing), and, for the coup de grace, this magazine will now be sold to 18 year olds or over.

Now you'd think that the feminazis will be happy will the clampdown. Well here's their reaction:

Kat Banyard, founder of UK Feminista, one of two groups behind the Lose the Lad Mags campaign, said that lobbying to have the titles removed from shelves altogether would continue, "because they are deeply harmful. They fuel sexist behaviours which underpin violence against women."

She added: "By continuing to profit from the content of lads' mags, Tesco is still sending out the message that it's acceptable to portray women in this way."

So, can this people stop with their bull**** agenda that this is all about protecting children as, it's rather about the banning of something that they find distasteful.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/02/tesco-lads-mags-covers-more-modest
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes ban them all (sexualised mags aimed at men and women) or cover them all up.

Men should really start something up, alot of female magazines are pretty sexist :confused:
The double standards absolutely reek. It's not ok to put magazines of scantily clad women on the front of magazines (despite it being the woman's choice) but it's completely ok to have nearly naked men on the front of women's magazines.
Reply 3
Pure double standards and hypocrisy. Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply 4
I don't really have a problem with them being covered up. Obviously they are aimed at adults.

But to ban them entirely? It's hard not to feel like these "feminists" are attacking men for being sexually attracted to women.

I'm sorry feminists, but I will never treat women (in general) the exact same as men because I like having sex with women. I like looking at pictures of women in various states of undress because I am straight. Feel free to do the same for pictures of men, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't care if magazines like that are out on the shelves, as long as they are treated consistently compared to ones with pictures of women in.
Reply 5
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Yes ban them all (sexualised mags aimed at men and women) or cover them all up.

Men should really start something up, alot of female magazines are pretty sexist :confused:

Difference is, we don't mind. What possible reason could women have for minding that men don't?
"Feminazi". This thread actually starts with an example of Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law), which is unusual - normally the Fuhrer and his cohorts only make an appearance towards the later stages of the thread.

The 'feminazi' insult is now routine and it means "a woman who stands up for herself and other women in public".
Original post by Fullofsurprises
"Feminazi". This thread actually starts with an example of Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law), which is unusual - normally the Fuhrer and his cohorts only make an appearance towards the later stages of the thread.

The 'feminazi' insult is now routine and it means "a woman who stands up for herself and other women in public".

No, because it's fascist because it's extremely authoritarian behaviour to completely ban lad mags. The cover has been toned down and changed, so you don't even have to see the semi naked woman on the cover. You really can't even say it makes you uncomfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Or maybe women who want to ban anything that displeases them? Just a thought...
"Lad's mags" are completely different to women's magazines which may show a topless man on the cover (much less common than scantily-clad women on men's magazines). Misandry does not exist, much like "reverse racism". Men have not been subject to the degradation, hyper sexualisation and objectification which constantly plagues women today. Men are the dominant sex - we still live in a society which struggles against resistance to be patriarchal.
Moreover, "lad's mags" provide completely unrealistic expectations of women which are unhealthy for both self-esteem of women and the male treatment of women who may not live up to these standards (basically every woman, everywhere). Also I may remind you that it is perfectly legal for men to go topless in public as they are on the covers of few women's magazines - and yet if I went outside topless as a woman I would be arrested for indecent exposure.
I don't think this makes me a "Nazi", to be honest - wanting liberation of my fellow women cannot exactly be equated to the desire for extreme ethnic cleansing and eugenics...
Original post by Tabzqt
Or maybe women who want to ban anything that displeases them? Just a thought...

What is your justification for having this image prominently displayed in full magazine-sized format to children in supermarkets across the country?

Original post by neutralmilks
"Lad's mags" are completely different to women's magazines which may show a topless man on the cover (much less common than scantily-clad women on men's magazines). Misandry does not exist, much like "reverse racism". Men have not been subject to the degradation, hyper sexualisation and objectification which constantly plagues women today. Men are the dominant sex - we still live in a society which struggles against resistance to be patriarchal.
Moreover, "lad's mags" provide completely unrealistic expectations of women which are unhealthy for both self-esteem of women and the male treatment of women who may not live up to these standards (basically every woman, everywhere). Also I may remind you that it is perfectly legal for men to go topless in public as they are on the covers of few women's magazines - and yet if I went outside topless as a woman I would be arrested for indecent exposure.
I don't think this makes me a "Nazi", to be honest - wanting liberation of my fellow women cannot exactly be equated to the desire for extreme ethnic cleansing and eugenics...

So a society where women can ban magazines for men is a patriarchy? Yeah.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is your justification for having this image prominently displayed in full magazine-sized format to children in supermarkets across the country?

Because its not going to harm then, why do you think you think woman's rights cone under banning men from reading magazines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to know why people even buy these mags in the first place. They're utter tripe.
Reply 14

But it's not anymore, they are putting them in plastic bags outside of a child's reach?

What is your justification for banning the magazine even when it's not available to children?
Reply 15

How about this one?
Original post by chappers-94
So a society where women can ban magazines for men is a patriarchy? Yeah.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

We continue to live in a society run by men. The elite is controlled by men. Yes, women in the Western world have more influence than before - more women go to university, for instance. However women cannot walk along the street without fear of being embarrassed by unwanted attention and cat calls. Women are molested on public transport. Women cannot go out by themselves after dark for fear of rape. So yes, we do live in a patriarchy - women just want one less thing to be afraid of, and it happens to be public degradation through these magazine covers. A small thing.
Original post by CJKay

How about this one?

the double standards here, the women's mag directly mentions sex and has a woman dressed provocatively with the lads mag just having the woman!
If feminists want lads mags banned them its only fair that women's magazines do not display provocative images or direct sexual references either, its unfair to say that women's magazines aren't damaging but lads mags are. I regularly see women's magazines in public places like the hairdressers and local surgery etc and often they talk of how to get get men to do perform better in sex or to do things for the woman which is damaging in its own right.
Original post by neutralmilks
We continue to live in a society run by men. The elite is controlled by men. Yes, women in the Western world have more influence than before - more women go to university, for instance. However women cannot walk along the street without fear of being embarrassed by unwanted attention and cat calls. Women are molested on public transport. Women cannot go out by themselves after dark for fear of rape. So yes, we do live in a patriarchy - women just want one less thing to be afraid of, and it happens to be public degradation through these magazine covers. A small thing.

What? More women than men go to university. The elite isn't just men. And all the sexual violation things that you talk about are not just socially unacceptable but illegal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest