The Student Room Group
Thought it was NADH2...
Which would make sense as to why it was quoted as NADH + H+
*Goes in search of textbook to find out*
Reply 2
I would assume it is because two protons have come off the substrate, one of which is accepted by NAD+ and the other enters free solution. Either that, or both protons jump onto NAD+, and then one immediately dissociates to leave NADH and H+ (not sure about the latter though).
Reply 3
but what is the negatively charged particle which balances the H+ ion? you cant just have free H+ ions floating around without a balancing molecule. And another question, why do textbooks say that for photosynthesis water is both used AND produced in the reaction. I mean i know that water is used in the light dependent reaction to give the photosystem replacement electrons but when is it produced?
Reply 4
The Caretaker
but what is the negatively charged particle which balances the H+ ion?

An electron, which has been gained by NADH during reduction
Reply 5
but in chemistry a "golden rule" as it were is that charged particles cannot exist on their own. for example for every Na+ there must be a Cl-, for every H+ there must be a SO4- or NO3- or Cl- and so on. So what's the other part of the H+ ion in this case?
Reply 6
The Caretaker
but in chemistry a "golden rule" as it were is that charged particles cannot exist on their own. for example for every Na+ there must be a Cl-, for every H+ there must be a SO4- or NO3- or Cl- and so on. So what's the other part of the H+ ion in this case?

H+ is really H30+
Reply 7
that's still not telling me what the negatively charges species is. Im guessing its the organic compound now. after the deprotonation the organic compound becomes [Organic]- ion. I guess the easiest way would be not to mix chemistry and biology!
Reply 8
nikk
I would assume it is because two protons have come off the substrate, one of which is accepted by NAD+ and the other enters free solution. Either that, or both protons jump onto NAD+, and then one immediately dissociates to leave NADH and H+ (not sure about the latter though).

Yep, that's right...

MH2 + NAD+ → NADH + H+ + M

where M = substrate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide_adenine_dinucleotide
Reply 9
The Caretaker
that's still not telling me what the negatively charges species is. Im guessing its the organic compound now. after the deprotonation the organic compound becomes [Organic]- ion. I guess the easiest way would be not to mix chemistry and biology!

I don't know what you are on about...

Reduction with NAD a hydrogen ion (i.e. a proton) and an electron are gained...

The source of the proton and electron is the hydrogen from the substrate...
oxidised form: NAD+
reduced form: NADH + H+
charge conserved, proton gained. what's the problem?
Reply 11
darkenergy
oxidised form: NAD+
reduced form: NADH + H+
charge conserved, proton gained. what's the problem?

lol, i have no idea :cool:
Reply 12
don't waste your time on this. Learn about the kidneys :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending