The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The 2014 entry BMAT Thread

Not sure why there hasn't been one made for the 2014 BMAT yet, so here it is. Post any information about the BMAT that you've found helpful, e.g. what papers you're practicing, reviews of books you're using, if any, etc.
I personally am not using any books, just practicing past papers. Not taking any course either.

Practice papers:

*UPDATE* BMAT Past Papers
: All the BMAT papers that there ever were (2003-2012) can now be found on the website: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/our-services/medicine-and-healthcare/bmat/preparing-for-bmat/.

Spoiler

Cambridge Thinking Skills: Papers 1 and 3 are relevant to section 1 of the BMAT. http://www.freeexampapers.com/index.php/?location=A+Level%2FThinking+Skills%2FCIE%2FThinking+Skills+(9694)

Thinking Skills Assessment
: Useful for Section 1.
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/our-services/thinking-skills/

UCL support material
: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/bmat.htm

Useful Past BMAT Threads:

BMAT 2013
BMAT 2012
BMAT 2011???
BMAT 2010
BMAT 2009???
BMAT 2008

BMAT 2013 dates

SEPTEMBER 1: Entries open.
OCTOBER 1: Entries close.
NOVEMBER 6: BMAT takes place.
NOVEMBER 27: Results released.

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm thinking of taking the BMAT this year. Begun doing a few practice questions, is there anyone that has been on a KAPLAN course for it and if so, was it beneficial? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PG593
Hey, I'm thinking of taking the BMAT this year. Begun doing a few practice questions, is there anyone that has been on a KAPLAN course for it and if so, was it beneficial? :smile:

I went on Kaplan BMAT course 2 years ago. In all honesty, it wasn't that helpful. The best part was the 5 practice papers they gave us, but apart from that it was a waste of time. We did do 2 of the 5 practice papers during the actual course (timed) so it was an eye opener in that regard.
Reply 3
Original post by Sepharoth
I went on Kaplan BMAT course 2 years ago. In all honesty, it wasn't that helpful. The best part was the 5 practice papers they gave us, but apart from that it was a waste of time. We did do 2 of the 5 practice papers during the actual course (timed) so it was an eye opener in that regard.

Thanks mate, I guess it boils down to whether those practice tests are worth it because KAPLAN is quite expensive and perhaps the ones on the bmat site are more accurate in terms of difficulty.
Reply 4
when should be the time to start revising (thoroughly) as im practicing the UKCAT? im applying this year to oxford or cambridge :tongue: what score would I need?
Reply 5
Original post by ocelot92
when should be the time to start revising (thoroughly) as im practicing the UKCAT? im applying this year to oxford or cambridge :tongue: what score would I need?

I would say, take the UKCAT before September. Revise for the BMAT in September and October. Do all the past papers, learn all the science you need to know for section 2, practice essays for section 3.

As for what score you would need - that's a difficult question. If you're applying to Cambridge (ie, have an AS UMS score in the 90s) then they interview almost all applicants anyway, and the BMAT is just used along with everything else.

If you're applying to Oxford, then they use the BMAT along with your GCSE performance (in relation to the rest of your school) to shortlist people for interview, so BMAT is important in getting an interview.

Having said that, the average (for oxford) for interview is 5.7 ish and for offers is 6.0 ish. That's what you're aiming for (obviously aim for 100% but thats quite hard so if you're getting 6-7 in the practice papers then you're doing great)
Reply 6
Original post by Sepharoth
I would say, take the UKCAT before September. Revise for the BMAT in September and October. Do all the past papers, learn all the science you need to know for section 2, practice essays for section 3.

As for what score you would need - that's a difficult question. If you're applying to Cambridge (ie, have an AS UMS score in the 90s) then they interview almost all applicants anyway, and the BMAT is just used along with everything else.

If you're applying to Oxford, then they use the BMAT along with your GCSE performance (in relation to the rest of your school) to shortlist people for interview, so BMAT is important in getting an interview.

Having said that, the average (for oxford) for interview is 5.7 ish and for offers is 6.0 ish. That's what you're aiming for (obviously aim for 100% but thats quite hard so if you're getting 6-7 in the practice papers then you're doing great)

ok thanks :smile: Ive been scouring the net for more stuff :wink:

regarding AS UMS and GCSES, i have GCSEs 9A*1A and EPQ (2 years early) which is like pA* of 0.90.... if I were to get AS UMS total average of 95.6% (scored full ums in bio so far) where would i stand a better chance?
Reply 7
i have GCSEs 9A*1A and EPQ (2 years early) which is like pA* of 0.90....

I've seen people quite frequently calculating the percentage of A*s they got in their GCSEs. Just wondering exactly where this practice originated, and if the percentage of A*s is of any officially-acknowledged significance?
Original post by originaltitle
I've seen people quite frequently calculating the percentage of A*s they got in their GCSEs. Just wondering exactly where this practice originated, and if the percentage of A*s is of any officially-acknowledged significance?

Oxford say they use it on their website
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

'The GCSE measure that we used was the proportion of A* at GCSE. We also used GCSE performance data for schools in Great Britain and Northern Ireland to help tutors to assess whether an applicant's grades at GCSE may reflect an under- or over-performance within the context of the school at which they were taken. Therefore, it is possible that the chance of being short-listed was increased/reduced if an applicant has a higher/lower proportion of A* grades than would be predicted for the average student applying to Oxford from their GCSE school.Please note that for the 2013 admissions exercise it is intended to use a combination of proportion of A* grades at GCSE and number of A* grades at GCSE (in equal weighting) as a measure of GCSE performance.'
ok thanks :smile: Ive been scouring the net for more stuff :wink:

regarding AS UMS and GCSES, i have GCSEs 9A*1A and EPQ (2 years early) which is like pA* of 0.90.... if I were to get AS UMS total average of 95.6% (scored full ums in bio so far) where would i stand a better chance?

Cambridge. The 0.9 pA* is good but in my year of entry, the statistics said that over 150 people had 100% A*s, which is more than the number of places in a year at Oxford. Add this to the fact that Cambridge has 300 places (twice as many) and your AS UMS score is slightly higher than the average offer-holder (based on admissions talks on the Churchill college open day 2 years ago), I think you have a better chance of getting into Cambridge.
Original post by Refrigerator
Cambridge. The 0.9 pA* is good but in my year of entry, the statistics said that over 150 people had 100% A*s, which is more than the number of places in a year at Oxford. Add this to the fact that Cambridge has 300 places (twice as many) and your AS UMS score is slightly higher than the average offer-holder (based on admissions talks on the Churchill college open day 2 years ago), I think you have a better chance of getting into Cambridge.

I think the average Cambridge medicine offer holder has a UMS of 96% (I know it's pretty similar, but I just feel we might as well be completely accurate :p: ).
Reply 11
For those that have sat the BMAT before did you find the ISC 400Q Book accurate to the real exam or was it outdated etc. in the content and difficulty of questions for S1 and S2?
Original post by PG593
For those that have sat the BMAT before did you find the ISC 400Q Book accurate to the real exam or was it outdated etc. in the content and difficulty of questions for S1 and S2?

Section 1 was about the same difficulty, section 2 was slightly harder in the book than in the actual papers. It's still great practice though, especially considering there aren't that many past papers around.
Reply 13
Section 1 was about the same difficulty, section 2 was slightly harder in the book than in the actual papers. It's still great practice though, especially considering there aren't that many past papers around.

Awesome thanks mate :smile:
Hi,

I haven't started BMAT preparation as yet because I've got the UKCAT at the end of this month.

Have you all started yet? If so, when did you start?

And, those of you who have sat the BMAT in previous years, when did you start preparing?

Just a tad worried because I haven't started as yet.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by überambitious_ox
Hi,

I haven't started BMAT preparation as yet because I've got the UKCAT at the end of this month.

And, those of you who have sat the BMAT in previous years, when did you start preparing?

I didn't start preparing until about mid-September, when I'd got all my UKCAT and personal statement stuff sorted. So don't be worried. There's plenty of time
Hi,

Don't worry about the BMAT until the UKCAT is finished. All my friends and I started preparing for BMAT in early September, but that might have been slightly overkill.
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
I didn't start preparing until about mid-September, when I'd got all my UKCAT and personal statement stuff sorted. So don't be worried. There's plenty of time

Don't worry about the BMAT until the UKCAT is finished. All my friends and I started preparing for BMAT in early September, but that might have been slightly overkill.

Okay, thank you :smile:
Reply 18

I didn't start properly till early October-ish. Severely underestimated this test... :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Would you say doing UKCAT questions is good for BMAT practice too? I know the tests are different formats but could it help anyway? I mean when doing UKCAT practice I'm finding that I'm brushing up on simply GCSE maths stuff like exchange rates, percentage increase/decrease etc. and i know that BMAT is based on GCSE stuff too. so i guess doing UKCAT practice at same time would be good for BMAT too right?

Latest

Trending

Trending