The Student Room Group

Why Don't You Ride a Motorbike?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Its too dangerous. Having seen the injuries bikers have suffered through no fault of their own it really isnt worth it.
Reply 21
Nice circlejerking, bikers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Danger is one aspect, small crash in car you will just get whiplash at worst and maybe a few bruises, small crash on bike broken bones is a good outcome.
Other is convenience with a car I can drive friends round, use it to go shopping, pick up stuff. Also I don't have to wear any protective equipment.

I do have to say riding a bike looks a lot of fun and is cheap. Maybe when I'm rich I might buy a bike to ride on weekends :smile:
Because I can't afford anything. lol. (apart from a subbie to tsr)
I'm looking at getting a 125 asap. My only concern really is that my area has some really horrendous drivers. Quite a few bikers have been maimed by retards who cant control their cars. To be fair I don't think anyone's safe really as I saw a transit van crumpled into the central res on Friday.

I cant wait to move to rural 'Murica with the big empty roads it'll be perfect for tearing around without fear of dismemberment :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC
Too impractical. Can't get my mates or family on a bike and I can't transport shopping or big items.

I went from a bicycle to a motorbike so i can take one passenger compared to zero.

Also with a topbox, tankbag and panniers i can carry over a weeks worth of shopping for two people easily in one trip. Not as easily as a car but better then bus/bicycle which were my other options.

Also, trying to park a car at uni especially in first year is normally a giant pain in the ass and/or expensive.
Reply 26
Original post by SillyEddy
For these past few weeks, I would've loved having a bike to get around.

However, for the rest of the year (and for most other tasks than simply "going to places"), a bike seems a bit useless for me. Even if it's considerably cheaper in the long run, it's considerably more dangerous.

That said, schemes to get people onto motorbikes seems like a positive thing. More of the population riding them would probably make it safer in general (because more people would be aware of them). I'm not entirely against the concept of having car drivers do some motorbike lessons, or having a combined licence. I would like to have a driving licence which is valid towards motorbikes. I can't afford to get qualified and to do theory tests which are going to be highly similar to the one I have already done to drive my car for the past several years.

More flexibility and more people using them would probably give me a reason to invest. The rules and regulations on bike licensing are confusing to many people and it just makes it a hassle.

Actually the last two weeks haven't been that nice for riding a bike, it was way too hot (unless you went out at 6am).

You're right about getting more people onto bikes to improve the safety of them. The easiest and best thing the government could do to improve bike safety is force everyone to ride one for 6 months before they could move onto a car. But instead they want to force bikers off the road by making it ever harder to obtain a license.
Reply 27
I'm gonna be learning very soon :biggrin:
Motorbikes are less practical and less comfortable and I've never had the urge to ride one. Parking won't be an issue at uni either as the permits are free and there appears to be ample parking both at my halls and at the medical school.

Plus my mother would never allow it. My parents were happy to pay for my learning to drive, insurance and we went halves on a car. They never would have done that for a motorbike.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Motorbiker
I went from a bicycle to a motorbike so i can take one passenger compared to zero.

Also with a topbox, tankbag and panniers i can carry over a weeks worth of shopping for two people easily in one trip. Not as easily as a car but better then bus/bicycle which were my other options.

Also, trying to park a car at uni especially in first year is normally a giant pain in the ass and/or expensive.

That's pretty good going actually. I sometimes struggle to squeeze our shopping into my little Peugeot 206 lol.
Reply 30
Car is more comfortable, and provides me with a greater sense of security and protection. Cold winter days, and flip heating on. Hot summer days can take roof down and enjoy the sun rays and breeze.

Plus bitches dig it.
Reply 31
Simple really... I don't fancy becoming an organ donor so soon.

Besides cars are way comfier.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I'd definitely definitely crash and die.
That's why.

I've not managed yet... 4 crashes later and i'm still here. Nearly killed myself in the car though

Original post by SillyEddy
For these past few weeks, I would've loved having a bike to get around.

However, for the rest of the year (and for most other tasks than simply "going to places"), a bike seems a bit useless for me. Even if it's considerably cheaper in the long run, it's considerably more dangerous.

That said, schemes to get people onto motorbikes seems like a positive thing. More of the population riding them would probably make it safer in general (because more people would be aware of them). I'm not entirely against the concept of having car drivers do some motorbike lessons, or having a combined licence. I would like to have a driving licence which is valid towards motorbikes. I can't afford to get qualified and to do theory tests which are going to be highly similar to the one I have already done to drive my car for the past several years.

More flexibility and more people using them would probably give me a reason to invest. The rules and regulations on bike licensing are confusing to many people and it just makes it a hassle.

I think encouraging people to at least do a CBT and use a 50cc/125cc to understand bikers would reduce the accidents, and also reduce the issues with parking and congestion i think in towns. That said i use my bike all year, and save £100's on petrol. It cost me £20 to get to wales this weekend, it cost my parents over twice that in the car what with sitting in traffic and just less fuel economy.

Original post by xDave-
I've considered it a lot. I'm just worried about being hit really. I can drive as well as I like, but it's the **** drivers that don't see my who I'm worried about.

I've only been clipped once, and that was by another biker (8 years biking and over 70kmiles) It does come down to you anticipating the idiots, and you do normally have clues.

Original post by Baines_22
Danger is one aspect, small crash in car you will just get whiplash at worst and maybe a few bruises, small crash on bike broken bones is a good outcome.
Other is convenience with a car I can drive friends round, use it to go shopping, pick up stuff. Also I don't have to wear any protective equipment.

I do have to say riding a bike looks a lot of fun and is cheap. Maybe when I'm rich I might buy a bike to ride on weekends :smile:

In a car you have a cage, on the bike you have your bike gear, i've landed in a field and broken a rib landing on a rock, but the other 3 accidents i've had nothing other than the odd bruise. My fathers launched over the car thats t-boned him and just bruising. Its not always serious accidents and the gear really does help!

That said i've just ridden back from wales, my water proofs have leaked, it's windy, but it took 3.40 hours compared to the 5 it took my mother in the car doing the same route. I did sit and think that i wanted the car so it would be warm and dry.
Reply 33
Because I like my face, and I like the fact that it's in one piece.
Reply 34
If someone's got a car license they can do the CBT for about £100 and get a moped for commuting* that plus the stupid laws making getting a proper motorbike license more troublesome and expensive will further put people off I would imagine.
Plus fuel economy in small cars is getting better and hopefully the insurance companies will get their long deserved slap to make costs more sensible.

* In some other European countries if you have a car license you can ride a 125cc bike. :frown:
Reply 35
It's a big heavy metal death trap - and so are cars.
I prefer cycling - a lot more healthier and even cheaper than motorcycles, plus my town is going on a cycle crusade with new cycle routes popping up all over the place.
Reply 36
I like being alive.
because I don't want to die.
Reply 38
I'm a little bit unique in that I'm in to both cars and bikes. Most folk tend to be one way or another.

I think it's better for new starters to learn to drive a car FIRST.
Doing a CBT - just one days training and then saying "yep you're safe to ride about on your own" just doesn't wash with me.

It took me until I was 24 to start looking at bikes. I would honestly say that I've only now got enough common sense to start playing with them properly without being a danger to myself. Kids just want to go fast. Better to get it wrong in a car than on a bike IMHO.

So long as you're safe and you're having fun ride / drive whatever you like as far as I'm concerned!
For me it's a combination of a few factors:

1) The expense, given that I would have to run my car as well as the bike being the only driver in my household. Everyone else has come to rely on me driving, despite my paying for my mother's driving lessons.

2) It seems that every time I'm about to seriously commit to gettign the process rolling I come across a patient that has come a cropper whilst riding, and been more than a little bit worse for wear. That being said rationally I understand that this that's not necessarily representative of biking, but ti does make me stop and think.

3) My mother would drive herself insane with worry, though she does that even if I pop out for a pint of milk.:tongue:

Ultimately I still want to get riding, but I haven't done anything to make it happen as yet!

Quick Reply

Latest