The Student Room Group

Why Don't You Ride a Motorbike?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Friggerpants
'cause they're the ****.

Fixed that for you! :smile:
Original post by YoloPirate
Dangerous, impractical, only seat 1 person, can only ride at certain times of the year.

None of that is really true though.

Edit: Well it is, but damn it all they're worth it all the same!
Original post by Imperial_Maniac
None of that is really true though.

Edit: Well it is, but damn it all they're worth it all the same!

Dangerous- only if you or the people around are idiots
impractical- practical to get through traffic, good mpg, easy to park (unless in westminster)
only seat 1 person- pillion seat?
can only ride at certain times of the year - so long as there is a y in the day!

Whcih bit of it's true :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
My father wanted to earn his motorbike licence for years so he could ride a police bike, but my mother was so scared of injury he never was allowed, bless. And I'm not allowed simply cause he's not allowed and mum has the final say, ha!
Original post by AmyAintDead
My father wanted to earn his motorbike licence for years so he could ride a police bike, but my mother was so scared of injury he never was allowed, bless. And I'm not allowed simply cause he's not allowed and mum has the final say, ha!

Whipped much?
Original post by Bathwiggle
impractical- practical to get through traffic, good mpg, easy to park (unless in westminster)
can only ride at certain times of the year - so long as there is a y in the day!

This is Britain, all the drivers are idiots, it rains all the time and all my friends are too scared to go on the back!
Reply 66
I've always wanted to try a motorbike but I don't know where to start :colondollar:
Reply 67
A guy that lives across the road from me has a brand new YZF-R125 that he has L plates on it's so damn sexy and I love the thought of being a bike rider but have been put off by the horror stories you hear (however random/unusual they are). My dad once met a man whilst at work who was in a wheel chair, he had been in a crash and was paralysed from the waist down, he also lost his genitals and had to use bags/pipes to go to the loo. On top of that his wife died in the crash who was on the back of his bike.
Reply 68
Bike test is stupidly hard
Original post by Imperial_Maniac
This is Britain, all the drivers are idiots, it rains all the time and all my friends are too scared to go on the back!

It didn't rain at our meet! and he just said there was only one seat. The fact you can't get anyone to sit in the seat is an entirely different matter :p:

Original post by Tabzqt
I've always wanted to try a motorbike but I don't know where to start :colondollar:

geton website, or read the motorbike socierty first post ( at the top of motoriing forum, or the link in my sig)

Original post by LAS7
A guy that lives across the road from me has a brand new YZF-R125 that he has L plates on it's so damn sexy and I love the thought of being a bike rider but have been put off by the horror stories you hear (however random/unusual they are). My dad once met a man whilst at work who was in a wheel chair, he had been in a crash and was paralysed from the waist down, he also lost his genitals and had to use bags/pipes to go to the loo. On top of that his wife died in the crash who was on the back of his bike.

I'm still alive after 8 years, my fathers still alive after 35, as is my mother! Both grand fathers rode, and my uncle, he's still going... it's not as dangerous as people make out :smile: and personally worth the risk!
Reply 70

geton website, or read the motorbike socierty first post ( at the top of motoriing forum, or the link in my sig)

Thanks, the have a free ride thing looks useful :smile:
Original post by Chilledice
As a bloke that has both a car and motorbike licence, I've got to say that the vision is better on a motorbike. You've got no pillars in your view, no seats around you. Some helmets do have a more narrow field of vision but the majority have a FoV that is wider than your eyes can see. Alongside that someone sat on a motorbike is higher up than most cars (with the exception of things like hummers) allowing you to see over traffic.

I have a feeling you're going to disagree with a lot of what I say though...

not out of just being ignorant though and ill concede the helmet point to your greater knowwledge (that wasnt intended to come across as sarcastic btw)

But i am against bikes in many instances, simply for the danger they pose
Reply 72
Original post by silverbolt
not out of just being ignorant though and ill concede the helmet point to your greater knowwledge (that wasnt intended to come across as sarcastic btw)

I can understand that. A big lump of metal around you is going to be a lot better at protecting you than being perched atop an engine and two wheels! :P
Reply 73
I don't like the feel of the helmet.
Reply 74

The danger they pose? Do you mean the danger to the rider themselves or danger to everyone else?

Dangerous - No real protection, liable to get hit, drivers have little respect for motorcyclists
Impractical - can't take more than 2 people at most, little storage space
Can only ride at certain times of the year - Good luck riding in snow!

I've ridden a motorcycle and driven a car, car wins hands-down everytime
Original post by Silkysam
The danger they pose? Do you mean the danger to the rider themselves or danger to everyone else?

both
Original post by YoloPirate
Dangerous - No real protection, liable to get hit, drivers have little respect for motorcyclists
Impractical - can't take more than 2 people at most, little storage space
Can only ride at certain times of the year - Good luck riding in snow!

I've ridden a motorcycle and driven a car, car wins hands-down everytime

It depends on your sense of practicality. I travel a lot on motorways in rush hour, so my priorities are normally not sitting in a traffic jam, and being able to park when i reach my destination. with fuel i have an option of 70mpg, 40mpg or 33mgp, depending on bike, bike or car.

I have a car if i need to get more than 1 person but so rarely do i need to as we all meet together in a central point. Getting hit in a car can happen too, and a lot of drivers do move for bikers and let us through. On a bike you can have as much or as little protection as you want, yes it's not a cage, but i'm happy with the armor and the amount it protects me from experience

I can go touring for 3 weeks on my bike with camping gear, so you can load them pretty well, no its not a gold wing.

I've never had any issues in the snow, i didn't have my car with me when we had the 2-4inches of snow this year and still had to ride into work. It's the ice i dislike more!

But i'm a biker through and through. It's how i've been dragged up, and i think until i have children it probably won't change, if it does.
Aren't practical? I'd say 130mpg and the ability to filter are about as practical as you can get!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
both

Danger to everyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending