The Student Room Group

What can I do with my A Levels in the future?

I really want to get into something like Journalism or Screenwriting but that's extremely hard and I'm now really nervous about my current A Levels options. I've just finished my AS Levels and I did:

English Literature
Media Studies
ICT
Business Studies

I'm planning on dropping Business next year, because I hate it.

What degree/career can I do? I was going to do English with Film Studies but that's a very disrespected degree choice so I'm really unsure of what to do :/ Can somebody please help me out? I'm super nervous about the future and I really need some suggestions for what to do :/
Original post by AbirM
I really want to get into something like Journalism or Screenwriting but that's extremely hard and I'm now really nervous about my current A Levels options. I've just finished my AS Levels and I did:

English Literature
Media Studies
ICT
Business Studies

What degree/career can I do? I was going to do English with Film Studies but that's a very disrespected degree choice so I'm really unsure of what to do :/ Can somebody please help me out? I'm super nervous about the future and I really need some suggestions for what to do :/

Have you done any languages before? English and a language could be beneficial for a future in journalism.
Original post by AbirM

English Literature
Media Studies
ICT
Business Studies

Hi,

You should do a degree in something that YOU want to do a degree in. I've just graduated with a degree in Film Production and loved every minute of it. Check out The University for the Creative Arts. They have loads of creative courses including Film Production and Journalism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpRaBqwszg

Good luck with your decision making!

Rebecca
My advice would be not to do something like a named degree in Film, Writing or whatever. Go for a more traditional subject like English.

Employers are extremely suspicious of degrees that look like they've trained you for a specific job - and are quite often not 'academic' enough to be useful in any other career - or sound 'silly' (Film Studies or Creative Writing for instance).

Your chances of making a career out of any form of writing is slim, the chances are that you will end up in something totally different, now or later in life. With a niche 'named' degree you'll end up explaining it for the rest of your life. If you do a more straightforward subject (even as a combined subject degree - English with American Studies etc) its actually MUCH more useful, because you havnt already closed a whole variety of doors by doing a seemingly vocational degree or given yourself a way out if you change your mind about a future job during your degree.

If you look at the structure of many English degrees, they usually incorporate some writing units or stuff like cultural studies, and other forms of writing like TV/Film etc. This gives you a degree in 'English' but without the implication of the other 'silly sounding' subject.

Quick Reply

Latest