The Student Room Group

Sometimes I wish I could just give up on careers and just become a housewife...

I'm not really sure which section this thread belongs, so I apologise in advance if I've got it wrong and if mods want to move it

Basically I'm a 21 year old female and for the past few years I've been having constant bad luck with education and careers. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped in my GCSEs, then I failed my A Levels so couldn't go to uni. I tried Open Uni but gave up, and I applied to apprenticeships and access courses but got rejected from them all. I have done volunteering in lots of different things, and I have worked a few paying jobs, but they've mainly been just temporary ones. Right now I work a lowly admin job that my dad helped me get as he knows the boss, but my boss won't pay me until I've been working there for at least two months (it's his policy that I'm struggling to argue with him about), which I haven't yet so I'm still living off parents' money. I don't like the job very much anyway, sometimes I loathe it, but I don't really have anything better to be doing with my time and the job market is terrible right now so I feel I have to stick at it for a while at least for the work experience.

It's annoying because I've had all these different career ideas, but haven't been able to follow through with any because I'm just constantly getting rejections and doors slammed in my face all the time, and always discovering that I'm not as suited for something as I thought. All this work and careers nonsense really gets on top of me and stresses me out. It's even gotten me so depressed to the point where sometimes I just dream about jumping on the train tracks instead of getting on the train on the way to work. I'm starting to loathe this society that puts so much emphasis on needing to be successful and finding the job you love, yet it won't even give me the chance to in the first place!

I know feminists and whatnot will probably get angry at me for this, but sometimes I wish I lived in an era where I didn't have to worry about all that stuff, but could simply just marry a man, look after him and our kids and be set for life. But I know that unless I'm lucky enough to marry a rich man, that's not a realistic goal to have these days. I do have a boyfriend who I love, he's a few years older than me and has always had much steadier work than I have, but his job isn't the best paying so I probably couldn't rely on him.

Well, I guess my main issue here is struggling to ever become completely financially independent in this terrible economy that we live in, as well as just wondering what my purpose in life should be. Apart from my boyfriend and a few other things, most things in my life are just crap and I hate it :frown:

Does anyone relate to how I feel or have any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Okay so you've mentioned that academically you're not really getting anywhere, which is fair enough. I understand that an easy life can seem appealing, but surely there is something you are passionate about which has potential to turn into a career?

And if not, you as a 'housewife' or whatever, you still need to have hobbies to keep you going, ways of making new friends. My mum was very fortunate to marry my dad who earns quite a lot meaning that she can kind of just do what she wants! So she does a lot of gardening, works part time in a school helping with special needs, and also does reflexology and similar types of therapy :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not really sure which section this thread belongs, so I apologise in advance if I've got it wrong and if mods want to move it

Basically I'm a 21 year old female and for the past few years I've been having constant bad luck with education and careers. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped in my GCSEs, then I failed my A Levels so couldn't go to uni. I tried Open Uni but gave up, and I applied to apprenticeships and access courses but got rejected from them all. I have done volunteering in lots of different things, and I have worked a few paying jobs, but they've mainly been just temporary ones. Right now I work a lowly admin job that my dad helped me get as he knows the boss, but my boss won't pay me until I've been working there for at least two months (it's his policy that I'm struggling to argue with him about), which I haven't yet so I'm still living off parents' money. I don't like the job very much anyway, sometimes I loathe it, but I don't really have anything better to be doing with my time and the job market is terrible right now so I feel I have to stick at it for a while at least for the work experience.

It's annoying because I've had all these different career ideas, but haven't been able to follow through with any because I'm just constantly getting rejections and doors slammed in my face all the time, and always discovering that I'm not as suited for something as I thought. All this work and careers nonsense really gets on top of me and stresses me out. It's even gotten me so depressed to the point where sometimes I just dream about jumping on the train tracks instead of getting on the train on the way to work. I'm starting to loathe this society that puts so much emphasis on needing to be successful and finding the job you love, yet it won't even give me the chance to in the first place!

I know feminists and whatnot will probably get angry at me for this, but sometimes I wish I lived in an era where I didn't have to worry about all that stuff, but could simply just marry a man, look after him and our kids and be set for life. But I know that unless I'm lucky enough to marry a rich man, that's not a realistic goal to have these days. I do have a boyfriend who I love, he's a few years older than me and has always had much steadier work than I have, but his job isn't the best paying so I probably couldn't rely on him.

Well, I guess my main issue here is struggling to ever become completely financially independent in this terrible economy that we live in, as well as just wondering what my purpose in life should be. Apart from my boyfriend and a few other things, most things in my life are just crap and I hate it :frown:

I'll probs get negged for saying this but I personally think a full-time mum/housewife is a job and people don't realise because there's a stigma attached to it not being a career just sitting at home but I admire women who are housewives and I personally wouldn't mind being one. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I feel exactly the same, kids need their mum to be at home to make sure they grow up properly! I don't understand why women would choose work over their kids, I know it's probably hard money wise, but still I would choose my family over money any day! I also enjoy cleaning and cooking so that's a bonus haha!

First of all21 is very young. One of my friends started her undergraduate degree at 24 and another at29. If you want to do better and get out of a cycle of low paid jobs I'd suggest knuckling down and taking GCSEs then A-levels at a night school so you can progress on to uni afterwards. Or if you're dead set against going the academic route look into an apprenticeship you could do. It would be tough but it sounds like you're unhappy in your life and might as well try and create more opportunities for yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Won't you just get bored? I have a friend who when she was married, stayed at home to bring up their children. She said that she's bored mentally and wants a meaningful conversation with an adult.

im basically a housewife on summer holidays from uni and trust me it's not as easy as it sounds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Oats808
I feel exactly the same, kids need their mum to be at home to make sure they grow up properly! I don't understand why women would choose work over their kids, I know it's probably hard money wise, but still I would choose my family over money any day! I also enjoy cleaning and cooking so that's a bonus haha!

I both do and don't see where you're coming from.

I really really want to be a university lecturer. I know that if I were to have children, there is no way I'd let them stop me being as successful as I could be if I managed to get that career. I've not worked this hard, investing much time and money (so far and in the future) to then give that up and look after my children thus hindering my chances of success.

That's why I've decided I'm not going to have children. I wouldn't want them to be unhappy or to have put up with their parents not being around as much as anyone would like but equally I wouldn't put them first above my career. Its better for everyone if I never have any, therefore.

I also have a big problem with day nurseries. At my school, in year 10 and 11 we had to go and do 'community service.' You didn't get to pick where you went and I had to g with a group of other girls to a day nursery. I hated every single second I was there. It was beyond awful and I felt so sorry for the children who were there. I vowed that if I ever had children, they'd never go to a day nursery. Also, childcare is massively expensive and my earnings would likely be wiped out by paying for that.

That said, I don't know why in lots of cases, dads don't take a more active 'househusband role' if finances etc allow. For me, that's not really a possibility. The income of a lecturer are not very high and so I couldn't rely on my income to support children and a husband.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Linnerzx
Okay so you've mentioned that academically you're not really getting anywhere, which is fair enough. I understand that an easy life can seem appealing, but surely there is something you are passionate about which has potential to turn into a career?

And if not, you as a 'housewife' or whatever, you still need to have hobbies to keep you going, ways of making new friends. My mum was very fortunate to marry my dad who earns quite a lot meaning that she can kind of just do what she wants! So she does a lot of gardening, works part time in a school helping with special needs, and also does reflexology and similar types of therapy :smile:

I don't think I'm really passionate about any job. I just work to live, I don't live to work, but for some reason this society seems to expect everyone to somehow find a job they love, when I don't think that's always possible.

I have plenty of hobbies, some of which I've thought about turning into a career, but then I come to the conclusion that I'm either not good enough to do it professionally, or I just don't want to ruin my enjoyment for it by trying to turn it into work to profit from.
Reply 9
Original post by Eugenie Grandet
First of all21 is very young. One of my friends started her undergraduate degree at 24 and another at29. If you want to do better and get out of a cycle of low paid jobs I'd suggest knuckling down and taking GCSEs then A-levels at a night school so you can progress on to uni afterwards. Or if you're dead set against going the academic route look into an apprenticeship you could do. It would be tough but it sounds like you're unhappy in your life and might as well try and create more opportunities for yourself.

Is there really much point trying that stuff again though if it already didn't work the first time? Maybe i'll give something another go if i feel like it, but i just feel like I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't :sigh:

Original post by OU Student
Won't you just get bored? I have a friend who when she was married, stayed at home to bring up their children. She said that she's bored mentally and wants a meaningful conversation with an adult.

Work and studying are boring as hell, so how would they be any better? Couldn't your friend just go out and meet other housewives and househusbands with their kids?
Reply 10
Original post by donutaud15
im basically a housewife on summer holidays from uni and trust me it's not as easy as it sounds

Posted from TSR Mobile

what's hard about it
Original post by Oats808

Off topic but.

My mum was at home constantly from when I was 2 until when I was 7.

Then she only worked 9-2 when I was in school and always had the holidays off.

All unpaid leave and never on benefits.

I think it has benefited me and my sister having her around when we were children we were much happier and we both did well in school, have got jobs, went/are going to uni. We also have a really good relationship with her most of the time.

Compared to my friend's mum who always worked shift work, and my friend was always with her Nan - before school and after school until around 8pm when her mum got home they never spent any time together and have a very on/off relationship, my friend also dropped out of A Levels. So that could be a factor.

I know how you feel sometimes having a good career does seem so hard and like too much effort, and it would be easier just to have kids and rely on husband etc.

Is there a specific career that you have in mind? If so then start working towards it :smile: It may just be small steps at first like volunteering in the area or doing a course in it. If you really want to do an access course then try and apply again, or even do an evening class in certain GCSEs that you may need e.g. if you don't have a C in Maths or English which is affecting your chances of getting onto an access course - at least then you are working towards it.

If you feel like your life is crap, then only you can make it better really!

Aim towards something, you always feel better when you have an aim even if it's just taking small steps. For example I want to be a teacher and was feeling really rubbish about having a Psychology degree and wishing I had one in a better subject area, but I have to make the most out of what I've got so I'm volunteering at a school to get me closer to what I want to do. My boyfriend has an average job that he doesn't really want to do but needs a Maths GCSE to do anything so he's sorting that out this year :smile:
Original post by sucess
what's hard about it

because my husband works, I basically do every chore in the house. same as paying bills, calling credit cards etc. plus it gets very lonely when there's no one to talk to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by sucess
what's hard about it

Someone trying to be funny here....
My mum was a house-wife for the first 10 years of marriage as us kids were growing up, then she got a part time job in a nursery to help provide as well. So that could be an option for you.
Reply 16
Personally I think that if you become a housewife especially without any education to fall back on, then your setting yourself up for trouble. What will happen if your husband decides to leave or maybe you want to leave? What if you already have children? You need to have an education because:
1. It sets a good example for your children
2. You need to be able to support yourself in case anything happens (without good qualifications, this will be tough)

Of course life would be easier if we could all just marry someone rich and be a housewife but in modern times people divorce a lot and that would devastate anyone without a descent degree or work experience.
Original post by kaypc
Personally I think that if you become a housewife especially without any education to fall back on, then your setting yourself up for trouble. What will happen if your husband decides to leave or maybe you want to leave? What if you already have children? You need to have an education because:
1. It sets a good example for your children
2. You need to be able to support yourself in case anything happens (without good qualifications, this will be tough)

Of course life would be easier if we could all just marry someone rich and be a housewife but in modern times people divorce a lot and that would devastate anyone without a descent degree or work experience.

I agree with this OP. At least have education to fall back onto, even if you don't want to get a job yet.
Reply 18
Original post by Oats808

Like you said, it is hard choice to make financially. I plan to return to work after each child. I was brought up my Grandparents (they live in the same house). It wasn't an easy decision for my mum to make, but she made it nonetheless. I can also appreciate that not every family has grandparents at the ready.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
i have a degree but its not qualifications that matter in this market, its experience. i feel inadequate, like you i have had some temp paid work and still doing casual work, but it makes me feel depressed beause everyone else working there seems to be a student and working towards something better, whereas i have no idea what to do and feel like my degree has given me nothing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending