The Student Room Group

Arsenal are not a big club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
So much stupidity in this thread I don't even know where to begin.

From the start :cool:
Original post by Pennyarcade
No, you're wrong. Its not because they arent a big club. Players dont give a fck if the club is big or not, all they care about is getting the highest wage. Unfortunately the arsenal board does not let them pay players above roughly 100k per week, and in the case of suarez he was wanting upwards of 200k per week. Man Utd can attract their transfer targets this season, so are they not a big club?

Man United are a big club because their premier league titles are in double digits. Until arsenal can achieve that we can talk. Its funny you bring wages into this when not too long ago Wenger said he could afford Rooney's wages. Funnily enough they were shown the door in those negotiations too... no one can take arsenal seriously these days lol
Reply 22
What we've got to remember here guys is that Franny Jeffers was always bigger than any club he ever played for :rolleyes:
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
Rangers for now
aren't a big club. They have poor players, in the muddy depths of Scottish League.

Celtic in Scotland is the only thing keeping it alive. Ajax is big in its own country, still cannon fodder for Big UK/Spain/Italy/German/French teams (except for blips I.E City).

All 3 of those big clubs are big in their own country but rather feeble on the global scale. Can't name many Gers/Celts/Ajax fans outside their country.

Okay Rangers sell out 50 000+ every fortnight in the lowest tier of scottish football and have 4th highest average attendance in britian (would be higher if the stadium was bigger) which is higher than celtics i may add, yet you say they arent a big club? When they went into admin it was on the news in brazil fs.
OP is a west ham fan.
Original post by Francis Jeffers
Man United are a big club because their premier league titles are in double digits. Until arsenal can achieve that we can talk. Its funny you bring wages into this when not too long ago Wenger said he could afford Rooney's wages. Funnily enough they were shown the door in those negotiations too... no one can take arsenal seriously these days lol

Football started before 1992 by the way. Arsenal only have 3 'Premier League' titles, are they not big?

It's funny how we distinguish between Premier League and old First Division titles when they're the exact same thing except for the new branding. People don't do that with the European Cup. Liverpool still have 5, United still have 3.

People have been brainwashed by Sky.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Football started before 1992 by the way. Arsenal only have 3 'Premier League' titles, are they not big?

It's funny how we distinguish between Premier League and old First Division titles when they're the exact same thing except for the new branding. People don't do that with the European Cup. Liverpool still have 5, United still have 3.

People have been brainwashed by Sky.

And Arsenal have how many?
Okay Rangers sell out 50 000+ every fortnight in the lowest tier of scottish football and have 4th highest average attendance in britian (would be higher if the stadium was bigger) which is higher than celtics i may add, yet you say they arent a big club? When they went into admin it was on the news in brazil fs.

That was for a pre season friendly. In a foreign country. In the evening. Rangers (and Celtic) are huge and if they were in the English leagues they would be competing at the top in no time at all. Much bigger club than anyone here bar United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Man United are a big club because their premier league titles are in double digits. Until arsenal can achieve that we can talk

Oh dear.

None. I'm a Villa fan, so of course the fact we've won the holy grail and Arsenal haven't makes me quite happy.

Arsenal cannot claim to be big in Europe until they've done the same.
If Spurs keep Bale, Arsenal have no chance of getting 4th this season. Dream on because you can act like pundits all you want but when push comes to shove, you'll be in the Europa league
Reply 30
Lol of course they are :s-smilie: its not just winning things that makes you a big club, sheffield wednesday for example have a great support compared to city but if you go to china a chinese man would probably have no clue who sheffield wednesday were, so theres different ways to look at it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure on the numbers, but I think Rangers have more devoted fans, rather than 'armchair fans', than most. Rangers at that point were probably the biggest club to into adminstration so it is to be seen that they are on news world wide but you don't see Rangers shirts selling in Brazil, USA and HK do you?

People measure big clubs differently. I say its a mixture of history, fanbase, 5-year league performance, and spending power. Rangers are obviously on the mend and will get back into the SPL in a few years but until then I can never picture a true big club that is in the wilderness no matter of what circumstance.
Original post by 21Welshy21
Lol of course they are :s-smilie: its not just winning things that makes you a big club, sheffield wednesday for example have a great support compared to city but if you go to china a chinese man would probably have no clue who sheffield wednesday were, so theres different ways to look at it

Posted from TSR Mobile

with all due respect, no one gives a toss about sheffield wednesday and thats why the working class chinese don't know or care about who they are, they're a big club only in sheffield..

arsenal is an interesting case because they are known globablly, but this shouldn't render them a big club. they have done nothing recently to get that reputation
Original post by sr90
Rangers (and Celtic) are huge and if they were in the English leagues they would be competing at the top in no time at all. Much bigger club than anyone here bar United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Rangers are bigger than Villa? They play in a piss poor league, even before they got relegated. Celtic aren't bigger either. They've won big ears but you're talking about Scottish football here.

'Much bigger' :rolleyes:

Zero champions league titles - doesn't mean that they aren't a big club though. :smile:
Original post by xxxKINGxxx

People measure big clubs differently. I say its a mixture of history, fanbase, 5-year league performance, and spending power. Rangers are obviously on the mend and will get back into the SPL in a few years but until then I can never picture a true big club that is in the wilderness no matter of what circumstance.

Sigh

History: Most successful club in the world
5 year performance: Uefa cup final- took 200K fans to manchester. 3 league titles.
Fanbase: read my earlier post again
Original post by Wilfred Little
Rangers are bigger than Villa? They play in a piss poor league, even before they got relegated. Celtic aren't bigger either. They've won big ears but you're talking about Scottish football here.

'Much bigger' :rolleyes:

Sorry, how much trophies has villa won?
whats their average attendance?
Where did they finish last in the league?
Also, Rangers are worth more than villa atm, believe it or not.
Original post by Spontogical
Zero champions league titles - doesn't mean that they aren't a big club though. :smile:

Says some random guy on TSR, ok guys we can leave the discussion here, seems like this lad has come to the bottom of it..
Sorry, how much trophies has villa won?
whats their average attendance?
Where did they finish last in the league?
Also, Rangers are worth more than villa atm, believe it or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_major_honours_won#England.27s_most_successful_clubs

We're 4th and we've won the holy grail. This is England by the way, where you have stiff competition. Not Scotland where only two teams have dominated since football began up there.
Sorry anyone that says Rangers are the most successful club in that league it ain't hard to win trophies in Scotland. :rofl: Scottish League is absolutely piss poor.

Quick Reply

Latest