The Student Room Group

Boldly messaged the CEO of a consultancy asking to meet up

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CEGlasgow
I sit on the board of a smaller consultancy with about 12 employees (helped turn it around financially since I bought a stake in it when I was in uni @ 19), and I have to say we've hired people like this before. The people who you meet that are just really interested in what you do are almost always worth bringing on board. As much as this won't make me at all popular on a student forum that enthusiasm alone can be worth more than having the right degree or whatever else might otherwise stand out on a CV.

My recommendation - bring a copy of your CV along to the meeting so he can take it away with him. Given the message you've sent it's unlikely he has the wrong idea, but you'll likely be in a better position to assess that than anyone here will.
Good luck!

Thanks for this. What do you think is the best way to sell myself?

I want to ask more about talent management division as well as tell him about the work I do in developing assessment and selection solutions.

Then I want to somehow find out if they have entry opportunities in consultancy

Unfortunately I'm one of those with the write qualifications on paper but I lack confidence in selling myself, even though I do my job quite well
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Fruli
Well I have issues with my appearance but I get told I'm pretty a lot.

How did your conversation on the train start? And its kinda strange he invited you to a hotel of all places
Dress professionally as if you were going to a job interview, talk to him as if he were your boss not a friend. And if he asks anything personal just say you have a boyfriend from the outset that way if he does suggest anything you have an excuse
Reply 23
Original post by Elm Tree
How did your conversation on the train start? And its kinda strange he invited you to a hotel of all places

We were sat next to each other on the tube and he told me I look kinda familiar, he then asked where I'm from
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by SillyMilly
Dress professionally as if you were going to a job interview, talk to him as if he were your boss not a friend. And if he asks anything personal just say you have a boyfriend from the outset that way if he does suggest anything you have an excuse

Thanks for the advice, really helpful :smile:.
Reply 25
Original post by Fruli
We were sat next to each other on the tube and he told me I look kinda familiar, he then asked where I'm from

I doubt anything will happen but I can almost guarantee you that he has thought about it... Keep us posted! lol
Original post by Fruli

Did he ever end up telling you who exactly you reminded him of? Sounds like a far too common pick up line.
Reply 27
Original post by Fruli
Thanks for this. What do you think is the best way to sell myself?

I want to ask more about talent management division as well as tell him about the work I do in developing assessment and selection solutions.

Then I want to somehow find out if they have entry opportunities in consultancy

Unfortunately I'm one of those with the write qualifications on paper but I lack confidence in selling myself, even though I do my job quite well

I know this is cliched, but just be yourself.
You're interested in the work, so it shouldn't be any problem for you to hold a conversation about the subject and impress with what you know. Spend some time reading up on what this company does, and see if you can read up on their target markets so you can appear to have as much real experience and insight as possible :wink:

When's your coffee meeting anyway? I'm quite interested to hear the aftermath on this one.
Original post by Fruli
Thanks for the advice, really helpful :smile:.

Please post a follow up post. Want to see how this pans out! :biggrin:
Original post by Fruli
Yes I did wonder about that. Do business people ever meet at hotels?

Yes, all the time. The fact that you're meeting at a hotel bar/restaurant rather than a lowly coffee place or his office means that he's placed some importance on the meeting, well either that or he's got an expense account to max out before the end of the month and you've given him the perfect opportunity to do so.

Dress professionally as if it were an interview, carry yourself with decorum and above all, be respectful and polite if he does hit on you, he shouldn't but that is a possibility.
wow, such a bold move.
Original post by tehFrance
Yes, all the time. The fact that you're meeting at a hotel bar/restaurant rather than a lowly coffee place or his office means that he's placed some importance on the meeting, well either that or he's got an expense account to max out before the end of the month and you've given him the perfect opportunity to do so.

Dress professionally as if it were an interview, carry yourself with decorum and above all, be respectful and polite if he does hit on you, he shouldn't but that is a possibility.

Yup. All internal important business meetings at his office are done at hotels.... He is the CEO and he wants to max out his own accounts... Some of the advice here is ridiculous. Good night
All sounds good other than what sounds like a common pick up line on the train!

That being said, it most likely will be a professional meeting since you've connected on that level. Many business people have meetings at hotels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is clearly a flirtatious undercurrent here. It is your skill in manipulation which will determine whether you can convert that into a job offer while never letting his advances back you into a corner (hopefully not literally).

I am completely jealous as I know I will never be able to leverage my looks to secure an opportunity. Men have to rely on networking and the old school tie.
Original post by PrincePauper
Yup. All internal important business meetings at his office are done at hotels.... He is the CEO and he wants to max out his own accounts... Some of the advice here is ridiculous. Good night

:colonhash:

I didn't mean it like that, I will say though that if you think CEOs don't have expense accounts then you're rather wrong, he's a CEO not the owner an owner would most likely care more. Anyway if he does have an expense account, you max it out every month or it could be reduced, number one thing people are taught nowadays.
Original post by The-Dream
Looks totally professional to me. Delete the message from here though so he doesn't google it and find this!

what if he looks and sees the other threads she's started lmao
Reply 36
Original post by CEGlasgow
I know this is cliched, but just be yourself.
You're interested in the work, so it shouldn't be any problem for you to hold a conversation about the subject and impress with what you know. Spend some time reading up on what this company does, and see if you can read up on their target markets so you can appear to have as much real experience and insight as possible :wink:

When's your coffee meeting anyway? I'm quite interested to hear the aftermath on this one.

Original post by Mrkingpenguin
Please post a follow up post. Want to see how this pans out! :biggrin:

It's on Wednesday, I will update you.
Original post by Backbrah

What's wrong with an interview at his place, or a skype call

Jesus christ.

An interview at his home would sound much dodgier to me than coffee at a hotel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by MagicNMedicine
what if he looks and sees the other threads she's started lmao

I think he was referring to the email that I drafted to him. It has been deleted.
Reply 39
Original post by PrincePauper
Did he ever end up telling you who exactly you reminded him of? Sounds like a far too common pick up line.

Original post by scrotgrot
There is clearly a flirtatious undercurrent here. It is your skill in manipulation which will determine whether you can convert that into a job offer while never letting his advances back you into a corner (hopefully not literally).

I am completely jealous as I know I will never be able to leverage my looks to secure an opportunity. Men have to rely on networking and the old school tie.

Haha yes, but he didn't ask for my number. I'm the one who ended up asking for his business card.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending