The Student Room Group

Samsung S4... EE 4G or Three?

Hello! I'm 20 and i've mostly always been with EE (Orange 3G) and I'm interested in the Samsung Galaxy S4. They'd do it for me on their EE 4G network without an upfront cost, and just the monthly cost of £36 for Unlimited minutes, Unlimited texts and 1.5GB of data.

However, Three are offering the Samsung S4 with no upfront cost, and with 500 minutes, 5000 texts and Unlimited data for £33 a month.

I live just on the outskirts of Bristol. I've been with Three before and the signal was always pretty poor. I used to get about 1 bar of signal, and it used to drop out quite a bit during calls. If i'd go out cycling to anywhere remote (ish), I wouldn't get a signal either.

On Orange, I've always got a great signal, it's usually always 3G, and I trust them.

On average, I use about 800 to 1GB of internet on my phone every month. Living in Bristol, I have access to the 4G network. A friend has 4G. We went out cycling and in an area where no other networks got a signal, EE had full signal on 4G which was pretty odd. I had a full signal on Orange 3G too.

So the question is... is 4G worth that extra £3 a month? I don't need to always have a signal on my phone, but i've read that the Samsung S4 has faster 3G capabilities and Three's 3G network is a bit like 4G? So it'd be fast and unlimited? But then after all it's a phone, and you should be able to at least get a calls/texts signal wherever you are.

Plus... me and my girlfriend like Orange Wednesdays 241 cinema tickets which EE also has :wink:

What do ya think? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm in Bristol and have recently switched from Virgin Mobile to Three, I also had a poor signal from Three in the past, in my house I barely got one bar. But now, few years later I was lured back to The One Plan and I have full signal. Every time i've looked at my phone the bars have been full so far. I am fairly confident that Three have improved reception immensely around here.

Also it's worth noting that when Three gets 4G in few months, customers will be able to use it for no extra cost, which is brilliant. So that unlimited deal will move over to 4G when it comes! EE charge an arm and a leg for a little bit of data.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Have you asked any friends near by if they're on Three and if it's any good? My girlfriend is on Three and gets great signal at hers, but none at mine, and I'm on EE and get the opposite, so it's worth checking.

The 1.5GB cap is quite high, and is over what you currently use, but from user reports, people with 4G often use more data, simply because data heavy tasks, such as video streaming, are a lot easier to use. As for Three's speed, they're rolling out DC-HSDPA, which is basically faster 3G, and claim that they won't charge extra for 4G, though I'd be wary (simply out of mistrust of phone networks).

Basically, just weigh up the pros and cons of each. Do you use more than 500 minutes and 5000 texts? And how much do you use Orange Wendesdays? If it's frequent, and you think you can live with 1.5GB of data, then the £3/month difference will be outweighed by the benefits of the cinema texts.
Three is the better choice here.

The One Plan offers 4G at no extra cost which will be in the next 12 months so definitely worth it as you can get high speed 3G now.

:smile:
Original post by Roving Fish
Three is the better choice here.

The One Plan offers 4G at no extra cost which will be in the next 12 months so definitely worth it as you can get high speed 3G now.

:smile:

Can I ask... your location says Cornwall. Is Three okay down there?
Original post by scott the journo
Can I ask... your location says Cornwall. Is Three okay down there?

I get H+ signal from my house which is in a village 4 miles from anywhere. It's great.
I get H+ signal from my house which is in a village 4 miles from anywhere. It's great.

Ah okay thank you. It's just when I was last on Three, I went to Torquay (Devon, sorry haha) and it was dreadful. The Three coverage map looks quite poor for Devon/Cornwall...

White/normal Google map bits mean no signal.

...and this is the coverage for EE/Orange/T-Mobile... Purple bits mean 3G coverage. Pink bits mean 2G coverage

Reply 7
im incredibly wary about threes plan, because though it sounds great, it also means a lot of people may jump the ship when they roll out 4g, and if they do those 4g speeds are simply going to struggle with all those people , specially in urban areas and given how much smaller three's coverage is compared to the other operaters. there is a reason afterall they are the smallest of the big mobile network operaters.

that said, i can great speeds with ultrafast, much more than i can with standard 3g. it regualry outstrips my home's talktalk broadband, averging around 3mb at home, 14mb at work. but if you are happy with orange stick with them. there are lots of people survivng on far less than 1.5gb, and the only reason you may want 4g (imo) is if you start wanting to burn through the netflix catalogue on your phone or start uploading every single last footage of every cat you film
Ah okay thank you. It's just when I was last on Three, I went to Torquay (Devon, sorry haha) and it was dreadful. The Three coverage map looks quite poor for Devon/Cornwall...

White/normal Google map bits mean no signal.

You have to remember in Cornwall that a lot of land isn't actually residential. Lots of fields and moorland. It's all getting upgraded across the country.
Reply 9
is three good in london?
Original post by F257
im incredibly wary about threes plan, because though it sounds great, it also means a lot of people may jump the ship when they roll out 4g, and if they do those 4g speeds are simply going to struggle with all those people , specially in urban areas and given how much smaller three's coverage is compared to the other operaters. there is a reason afterall they are the smallest of the big mobile network operaters.

Three operate the largest 3G network in europe.

So no idea what you're talking about.

So surely if they have less customers they'll be less congested.
Original post by 3mmz
is three good in london?

Every network is good in London.
Hello! I'm 20 and i've mostly always been with EE (Orange 3G) and I'm interested in the Samsung Galaxy S4. They'd do it for me on their EE 4G network without an upfront cost, and just the monthly cost of £36 for Unlimited minutes, Unlimited texts and 1.5GB of data.

However, Three are offering the Samsung S4 with no upfront cost, and with 500 minutes, 5000 texts and Unlimited data for £33 a month.

I live just on the outskirts of Bristol. I've been with Three before and the signal was always pretty poor. I used to get about 1 bar of signal, and it used to drop out quite a bit during calls. If i'd go out cycling to anywhere remote (ish), I wouldn't get a signal either.

On Orange, I've always got a great signal, it's usually always 3G, and I trust them.

On average, I use about 800 to 1GB of internet on my phone every month. Living in Bristol, I have access to the 4G network. A friend has 4G. We went out cycling and in an area where no other networks got a signal, EE had full signal on 4G which was pretty odd. I had a full signal on Orange 3G too.

So the question is... is 4G worth that extra £3 a month? I don't need to always have a signal on my phone, but i've read that the Samsung S4 has faster 3G capabilities and Three's 3G network is a bit like 4G? So it'd be fast and unlimited? But then after all it's a phone, and you should be able to at least get a calls/texts signal wherever you are.

Plus... me and my girlfriend like Orange Wednesdays 241 cinema tickets which EE also has :wink:

What do ya think? :smile:

If you're with Orange at the moment it's worth ringing up and asking if they can beat the deal advertised on the website. 1.5GB is for new customers. I've heard that some existing customers can get double the data if they haggle a bit.

So it's worth doing that first.

4G is a good service but all it does is provide faster internet speeds. Calls are still done over 3G. Good thing about Three is they'll be providing 4G for free so that's a selling point there. Also the data is unlimited.

If you're happy with what EE offer over the phone then go with them. If you're not happy with their offer then go with Three who will be just as good due to the network share with EE>
After looking at EE's Facebook page (wall posts section), I am happy that I chose Three.

Of course if you're dealing with Orange then it should be okay but to be honest I don't get how they merged it all.
Reply 14
After looking at EE's Facebook page (wall posts section), I am happy that I chose Three.

Of course if you're dealing with Orange then it should be okay but to be honest I don't get how they merged it all.

i am with ee and looking to move

thinking of buying the rest of my contract out, think its £90, and getting a contract with either TESCO Mobile, Three or 02.
Reply 15
Original post by Sum Gai
Three operate the largest 3G network in europe.

So no idea what you're talking about.

So surely if they have less customers they'll be less congested.

oh really? i heard they had the smallest coverage here since they are relatavitly new (in comparasion anyhow) and so had to 'catch-up' as it were with the other operaters in terms of coverage. ah well, touche

and oh forgot to add that in terms of 4g coverage, i beleive both three and ee brought into the 800mhz frequency, so they should both cover well, although ee also brought into 2.6ghz so they may have an advatge in city areas
Original post by Sum Gai
If you're with Orange at the moment it's worth ringing up and asking if they can beat the deal advertised on the website. 1.5GB is for new customers. I've heard that some existing customers can get double the data if they haggle a bit.

So it's worth doing that first.

4G is a good service but all it does is provide faster internet speeds. Calls are still done over 3G. Good thing about Three is they'll be providing 4G for free so that's a selling point there. Also the data is unlimited.

If you're happy with what EE offer over the phone then go with them. If you're not happy with their offer then go with Three who will be just as good due to the network share with EE>

I really don't know what to do!

THREE vs. EE

THREE
- Offers Unlimited data and will continue to when they launch 4G
- Cheap
- Good 3G signal in urban areas

EE
- 4G where I live. Double speed too - I have a pay& go 4G iPad sim. I get on average 60Mbps download speeds at home. That's just over 6x the home broadband speed.
- First 4G network so in more places.
- Contactless payment through the EE network / EE app.
- Excellent 3G coverage
- Has a Film Store. You pay the rent costs but download for completely free over 4G.
- FREE WiFi - any BT WiFi hotspot!
- 2 for 1 cinema tickets every Wednesday.
I really don't know what to do!

THREE vs. EE

THREE
- Offers Unlimited data and will continue to when they launch 4G
- Cheap
- Good 3G signal in urban areas

EE
- 4G where I live. Double speed too - I have a pay& go 4G iPad sim. I get on average 60Mbps download speeds at home. That's just over 6x the home broadband speed.
- First 4G network so in more places.
- Contactless payment through the EE network / EE app.
- Excellent 3G coverage
- Has a Film Store. You pay the rent costs but download for completely free over 4G.
- FREE WiFi - any BT WiFi hotspot!
- 2 for 1 cinema tickets every Wednesday.

Have you rang up EE yet? Ask them if they can do a better deal as you're an existing customer. If they can then go for it.

If not then come back and post here.
Original post by Sum Gai
Have you rang up EE yet? Ask them if they can do a better deal as you're an existing customer. If they can then go for it.

If not then come back and post here.

I have done. All they'll do is give me the phone for free (it's usually £69.99 upfront). They wont give any discounts on the tariff itself.

UPDATE: my neighbour has 4G. She could download the Metro mobile newspaper (37MB) in 3 seconds. That's 99.9% made my mind up about which network I want to be with. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
I have done. All they'll do is give me the phone for free (it's usually £69.99 upfront). They wont give any discounts on the tariff itself.

UPDATE: my neighbour has 4G. She could download the Metro mobile newspaper (37MB) in 3 seconds. That's 99.9% made my mind up about which network I want to be with. :wink:

Thank God you didn't say "Daily Mail".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending