The Student Room Group

10-year-old British girl weighs 24 stone

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheHistoryStudent
Or at least have their children taken away for a period until both child and parents learn the basics of healthy eating/exercise...

Allowing your children to get that heavy is nothing short of neglect in my view, as it will take a long period of time to achieve, and the results will be evident (in terms of how big the child looks) long before they reach that weight, which should prompt you to start doing something about it.

It really is a sad state of affairs.

The other issue I think is the rising cost of good quality food as opposed to cheap, additive filled rubbish. I'll be honest and say I have no experience living alone (and so managing a budget) but I'd bet anything that if my family decided to live on fresh fruit, veg and meat for a week, or vice versa ready made microwave meals, their food bill would go up/down respectively... balance that with things like gas prices, mortgage etc, and both parents working full time to make ends meet it's easy to see why some families might not have time to cook quality food and/or get regular exercise with their kids...

I'm no economist either but perhaps the situation could be helped by doing things like raising the minimum wage, as well as relaxing quality controls on things like fruit & veg before they go into the supermarket - basically if it's wonky but perfectly edible then sell it, and lastly encouraging people to grow their own? I don't know if any of that's any good though to be honest.

Completely agree. I watched a documentary once about a teen who was obese as a child. She lost all the weight, but everything else still stayed with her. Her appetite, problems walking, saggy skin... I agree with Ilessur, it is a form of child abuse.

Love your username by the way :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
I simply can't believe it's not butter.
Reply 42
Original post by llessur123
She didn't just wake up one morning at 24 stone...

You never know. Maybe she swallowed a cow in her sleep one night. :biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by MatureStudent36
Obese = fat = lazy.

Thats my viewpoint. No doubt I'll be shouted down and reported. But that's the problem. We no longer have boundaries in society. Anything goes and personal and family responsibility have been eroded so much that peer and social pressures are no longer allowed as we've turned into a society of 'its never my fault.'

In other words, let's treat people like ****.
Reply 44
Original post by InsertWittyName
I think the government should have mandatory fat camps for these people.

"These people"? She's a ten year old girl I highly doubt she chose the weight so it's not her fault, but her parents should have looked after her better.

Don't forget it's an extreme case.
Original post by InsertWittyName
I think the government should have mandatory fat camps for these people.

I was actually thinking that when I visited the US a few weeks ago. I didnt expect the situation to be so bad. There were a significant number of people in wheelchairs because they were just too fat to walk. And in almost all the cases I saw, if the parent was obese their children were also. The children are almost... victims of their parents eating habits. If they can't control themselves, then the government should definitely intervene.
Reply 46
Original post by kpwxx
However, nothing in the article suggests that the issue wasn't being dealt with. The data shows nothing about the individual cases, and I doubt (i.e. hope not) that nothing was being done about it already.

xxx

Good point.
Reply 47
Original post by Hopple
There are two ways of looking at this, I guess, with the backdrop that kids these days are generally getting too fat. One is to give objective advice that will probably be ignored by the rubbish parents who overfeed their kids and don't let them run around, and the other is to introduce some scare tactics which will annoy good parents but hopefully get some rubbish parents to change their ways.

What if the 'rubbish parents' try their best, but the child simply does not want to run around?
Reply 48
Original post by Ripper-Roo
What if the 'rubbish parents' try their best, but the child simply does not want to run around?

You don't even need to have a hugely active childhood to stay a fairly normal weight. Even wandering around the playground at school during lunch or play time combined with a healthy diet is enough to keep most children within the correct weight range. This level of obesity is a combination of no exercise and an extremely high fat diet with far too many calories.
This is parental neglect and laziness. Children should be required to engage in physical exercise at least one hour a day and have a diet within standard nutritional requirements.

It's at this point I would advocate the introduction of healthy school meals and promotion of sports in schools, but ultimately this is a failing on the part of the school, but moreso on the parents. Horrific
I detest fat people
Reply 51
Original post by Hopple
Dunno, the parents of the 5-year old (rightly) seem pretty sure she's healthy :tongue:

What I do think the government should do, though, is to simply get kids more active. Sure, getting used to sitting down for 6 hours a day at school is good practice for sitting down for 8 hours a day at a typical job, but their health is of far greater concern. I can't see why a teacher would complain about having to stay until 5 if they got a longer lunch break (and other breaks) along with the kids, and there's bound to be a few teachers willing to do overtime to supervise detentions. Kids like running around, just let them.

I'm a (newly qualified) teacher, with a focus on early years (3-5) and KS1. I love physical activity in classrooms. Most early years settings now will have open outdoor areas which are accessible all day to the children, whatever the weather. Although there is still a focus of choice and some children just don't choose to go outside often, the majority of children will run around to use all their energy naturally, and I personally think this ethos should be carried through to the end of primary, certainly to key stage 1.

The school I was in for one of my placements had free flow in the afternoons where outside activities were always available and children moved around to choose activities. Even in the mornings in the more 'typical' lesson format the children weren't expected to sit in one place for very long, they were always moving around to gather resources, work with each other and they tried to plan learning outside often as well. It was good :smile:

I would definitely be behind all schools trying to make learning more active for all children (and I think many schools already do a great job of this). I don't necessarily think that a longer school day would help this though, I personally feel children need time after school to do other activities with family and friends which can include very active activities. I do think that it would be a nice idea though to provide sue of the school grounds to children for a time after school in areas where there isn't much green space. In the form of an after school club but focussed on what the children choose to do.

xxx
Reply 52
Original post by Ripper-Roo

Then don't feed them as much crap.
Reply 53
Original post by kpwxx
I'm a (newly qualified) teacher, with a focus on early years (3-5) and KS1. I love physical activity in classrooms. Most early years settings now will have open outdoor areas which are accessible all day to the children, whatever the weather. Although there is still a focus of choice and some children just don't choose to go outside often, the majority of children will run around to use all their energy naturally, and I personally think this ethos should be carried through to the end of primary, certainly to key stage 1.

The school I was in for one of my placements had free flow in the afternoons where outside activities were always available and children moved around to choose activities. Even in the mornings in the more 'typical' lesson format the children weren't expected to sit in one place for very long, they were always moving around to gather resources, work with each other and they tried to plan learning outside often as well. It was good :smile:
That sounds good, definitely going in the other direction to what I saw in my school years.

I would definitely be behind all schools trying to make learning more active for all children (and I think many schools already do a great job of this). I don't necessarily think that a longer school day would help this though, I personally feel children need time after school to do other activities with family and friends which can include very active activities. I do think that it would be a nice idea though to provide sue of the school grounds to children for a time after school in areas where there isn't much green space. In the form of an after school club but focussed on what the children choose to do.

xxx

I agree that schools should open up their grounds (unless they get vandalised or something), there's a school near me where they have football cages, but lock the gates even though nobody's using them (weekends, summer holidays etc). Sure, we climbed over the fences anyway, but there was really no reason to lock them.

Perhaps I'm going too much by my experiences in school, but we had our lunch break continually shortened to the point that either you played on an empty stomach and then scoffed your lunch afterwards, or you ate lunch and didn't have time to digest before playing. If parents work, then it'd probably be better if the kids finished later. They can still go to do other things afterwards, and bear in mind that the extended breaks let them play around in school too. It's extra rest time for you as a teacher too, and are you really going to have more of a social life because you finish an hour or so earlier than other jobs?
Reply 54
Original post by Hopple
That sounds good, definitely going in the other direction to what I saw in my school years.

I agree that schools should open up their grounds (unless they get vandalised or something), there's a school near me where they have football cages, but lock the gates even though nobody's using them (weekends, summer holidays etc). Sure, we climbed over the fences anyway, but there was really no reason to lock them.

Perhaps I'm going too much by my experiences in school, but we had our lunch break continually shortened to the point that either you played on an empty stomach and then scoffed your lunch afterwards, or you ate lunch and didn't have time to digest before playing. If parents work, then it'd probably be better if the kids finished later. They can still go to do other things afterwards, and bear in mind that the extended breaks let them play around in school too. It's extra rest time for you as a teacher too, and are you really going to have more of a social life because you finish an hour or so earlier than other jobs?

Well I've only just finished my PGCE and I know that is a very intense year - hopefully as I go through the years I'll get speedier at planning and have a bit more time. But during the PGCE I was in school from 7:30 - 5 at least nearly every day, often later, so school not finishing school till 5 would mean not leaving work till at least 7, then working at home till probably midnight (though I guess we'd be able to have some planning time in the longer lunches). So you can see why I'm not the biggest fan of later school days :P

But my main objection is the time at home thing. When I was a kid I used that time for things like playing at friends' houses, spending time with family (as obviously bed time was earlier then!) and going to after school clubs and things like rainbows/brownies. But I guess for kids who don't do those kinds of things it would be better to spend the time playing with friends at lunchtime. It's a tough one!

xxx
That's going to show them obese Americans!

Jk. This child's never going to hear the end of it now.
Original post by Arva
Off topic but you weigh 8 stone? :lolwut: How tall are you?

Well, slightly more than that but... 5'11. Yeah, doctors are still trying to figure out why....

Although surprisingly I don't actually look that underweight...
I don't understand how one in 5 kids can be obese when they leave primary school :lolwut:

Where do they all come from?

I don't think I've ever even seen an obese kid, I didn't know it was a thing.
Reply 58
I don't see many obese kids maybe because they're all indoors?
If a 10 year old is 24 stone then the parents are responsible, without a doubt. Unless there are serious medical reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending