The Student Room Group

A few questions about language studies?

I'm currently in 6th year awaiting my grades from my 5th year exams, only one day now, so I'm looking at university courses that I'd like to do. I'll obviously attend the open days at various universities but at the moment Russian Studies and Japanese Studies interest me so I'll most likely be applying to them with Russian at Edinburgh uni being the prefered course. It'll most likely be a joint honors but I have a few questions. I'd like to know how competitive both Russian and Japanese Studies are. I'd assume that Japanese is quite a bit more competitive since it's only offered in one university in Scotland. Also, how greatly will I be affected during the application process if my grades from this year (5th) aren't great? I'm asking this since to be honest I wasn't very focused on school work this past year so I feel that I have a high chance of failing so I'm hoping to make up for it this year.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Reply 1
Im going to do jap at Edinburgh uni. I dont know about Russian but jap isnt as competitive as u may think (at least if u r sitting highers) Edinburgh gives out a lot of unconditional offers if u get like AAABB and I know people who got unconditional for BBBBC for some courses. But it depends on how many people are applying. I heard from a lecturer in Edinburgh uni that last yr there were 30 places for jap but they only got 16 people or sth.
The main thing is meet their min requirements and show in ur personal statement that u r focused to do jap cos its a hard course. ;-) good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Zafyr Estel
Im going to do jap at Edinburgh uni. I dont know about Russian but jap isnt as competitive as u may think (at least if u r sitting highers) Edinburgh gives out a lot of unconditional offers if u get like AAABB and I know people who got unconditional for BBBBC for some courses. But it depends on how many people are applying. I heard from a lecturer in Edinburgh uni that last yr there were 30 places for jap but they only got 16 people or sth.
The main thing is meet their min requirements and show in ur personal statement that u r focused to do jap cos its a hard course. ;-) good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only 16 people applied or they gave out 16 offers? I'm actually going to the open day on Monday so I'm hoping to meet some Russian and Japanese lecturers whilst I'm there so I can ask them some questions. Are you going off to do Japanese this year or are you applying this year?
Reply 3
Original post by CJay96
Only 16 people applied or they gave out 16 offers? I'm actually going to the open day on Monday so I'm hoping to meet some Russian and Japanese lecturers whilst I'm there so I can ask them some questions. Are you going off to do Japanese this year or are you applying this year?

I heard 16 got the places. Im starting September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Zafyr Estel
I heard 16 got the places. Im starting September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! Out of curiosity, what grades did you get?
Reply 5
Original post by CJay96
Awesome! Out of curiosity, what grades did you get?

I got AAAAA at highers (in 5th year) and AAB at advanced higher (the B was maths>_<) and a further AA at higher level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending