The Student Room Group

Becoming a police officer

Are any places still recruiting? Does it make it harder being an ethnic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Col. Hans Landa
Are any places still recruiting? Does it make it harder being an ethnic?

As far as I am aware, not many, if any, forces are recruiting at the moment - cut backs! And your ethnic background has absolutely nothing to do with the process! I have a friend in the force, and he said ethnicity, qualifications has absolutely nothing to do with the process of becoming a police officer. Ok, if you're going for high ranked positions, then yes, your quals may form part of the selection. But a lot of it is done purely on merit (experience and etc).
Original post by DancinBallerina
As far as I am aware, not many, if any, forces are recruiting at the moment - cut backs! And your ethnic background has absolutely nothing to do with the process! I have a friend in the force, and he said ethnicity, qualifications has absolutely nothing to do with the process of becoming a police officer. Ok, if you're going for high ranked positions, then yes, your quals may form part of the selection. But a lot of it is done purely on merit (experience and etc).

I see. Thanks. But I did see one force advertising saying they need more ethnics as they are under represented or something. Kind of got me worried that not many asians/blacks join. I would like it to be multicultural.

May apply as a special constable on the side.
Reply 3
The only real way to get into it these days is by volunteering as a special constable and then moving onto a full time policing course after you have a bit of experience. Hopefully then you can start as a salaried officer soon after. It's a tricky business to get into. Ethnicity shouldn't come into it, the reason you see fewer ethnic officers in many areas is that racism was rampant in many forces right up until about 20 years ago (c.f. Stephen Laurence case) so there is still a large resentment of the police in ethnic cultures.
Original post by tory88
The only real way to get into it these days is by volunteering as a special constable and then moving onto a full time policing course after you have a bit of experience. Hopefully then you can start as a salaried officer soon after. It's a tricky business to get into. Ethnicity shouldn't come into it, the reason you see fewer ethnic officers in many areas is that racism was rampant in many forces right up until about 20 years ago (c.f. Stephen Laurence case) so there is still a large resentment of the police in ethnic cultures.

Cool. I am gutted it is so difficult these days to get in with the freeze. What about applying to forces that are recruiting but not your local force? Is that unheard of?
Reply 5
Cool. I am gutted it is so difficult these days to get in with the freeze. What about applying to forces that are recruiting but not your local force? Is that unheard of?

I'm sure that'd be doable, but even they will be wanting experience if they can get it really. And with a lot of soldiers returning from active duty and our military presence in the Middle East winding down you could face some stiff competition. In my opinion it's best to volunteer as a PCSO/special constable and at the same time start applying to the force. That way you're showing you're proactive in being involved and should have some experience by the time you've applied once or twice.
I see. Thanks. But I did see one force advertising saying they need more ethnics as they are under represented or something. Kind of got me worried that not many asians/blacks join. I would like it to be multicultural.

It's illegal to recruit someone (or not recruit them) based solely on their race.
Reply 7
Original post by hothedgehog
It's illegal to recruit someone (or not recruit them) based solely on their race.

Very true.

But employers are allowed to positively discriminate to a degree. I.e to attract more women or ethnic minorities to positions, for example

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PotterLaw
Very true.

But employers are allowed to positively discriminate to a degree. I.e to attract more women or ethnic minorities to positions, for example

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a difference between saying 'people of all backgrounds welcomed' on an application form and saying 'we are only employing Asian people this time' though which the OP does not seem to have grasped. Just because they are welcoming minorities does not mean they can discriminate on them.
There's a difference between saying 'people of all backgrounds welcomed' on an application form and saying 'we are only employing Asian people this time' though which the OP does not seem to have grasped. Just because they are welcoming minorities does not mean they can discriminate on them.

That's not too hard to grasp. Like I said the site itself was saying we need more ethnic minorities as we are under represented. So I would say they are actually being very open about it.
Original post by tory88
I'm sure that'd be doable, but even they will be wanting experience if they can get it really. And with a lot of soldiers returning from active duty and our military presence in the Middle East winding down you could face some stiff competition. In my opinion it's best to volunteer as a PCSO/special constable and at the same time start applying to the force. That way you're showing you're proactive in being involved and should have some experience by the time you've applied once or twice.

Hmm thanks. I will get all the necessary books just to get clued up on the process including interviews. Try and get in as a special constable first and get some other life experience too.

Yes, thanks I do perfectly understand that. I was just highlighting that positive discrimination occurs regularly (in most professions) to a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have to recruit people from 'ethnic' backgrounds! I applied for a SOCA position earlier in the year, and they too said they were looking for people from ethnic backgrounds! And guess what? I didn't even get an interview, and I'm from an ethnic background!!

Yes, give 'Specials' a try and see how you get on. Even if at the moment, you're not successful, the experience (which will do wonders for your application), will make you stand out from the crowd.

Good Luck! :smile:
My mate has just been accepted into the police. Certainly police are still recruiting but on a less frequen basis. The met have just opened a new recruitment process, and police scotland are recruiting. Being ethnic wont have any impact on whether you get in or not.
Reply 14
Original post by BAD AT MATHS
My mate has just been accepted into the police. Certainly police are still recruiting but on a less frequen basis. The met have just opened a new recruitment process, and police scotland are recruiting. Being ethnic wont have any impact on whether you get in or not.

That's great. Could you give more details on what you should do to get a good chance of getting in? How long did it take too?
Original post by MSI_10
That's great. Could you give more details on what you should do to get a good chance of getting in? How long did it take too?

Just makes sure you have decent fitness level and learn as much about the recruitment process as possible. The internet is packed full of advice on the actual recruitment process and questions they will ask during interviews. One thing that is being intoduced into the met police is that before you join you need to have completed a certificate of knowledge in policing which takes around 80 taught hours to complete. Apparently this recruitment phase you need to have completed it before day one of training and after this phase you will have to have completed it before you even apply to the recruitment process. Just a heads up if you are looking to join the met.
Reply 16
Just makes sure you have decent fitness level and learn as much about the recruitment process as possible. The internet is packed full of advice on the actual recruitment process and questions they will ask during interviews. One thing that is being intoduced into the met police is that before you join you need to have completed a certificate of knowledge in policing which takes around 80 taught hours to complete. Apparently this recruitment phase you need to have completed it before day one of training and after this phase you will have to have completed it before you even apply to the recruitment process. Just a heads up if you are looking to join the met.

Cheers but how exactly would you go for applying if the website says they are not recruiting? Go into a police station and inquire?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Merseyside Police are recruiting again for police officers.
My best advice though if you haven't got any knowledge or experience of the police just yet is to apply to be a Special Constable. I'm in the final stages of the recruitment process, hoping to get training dates through soon as a Special Constable! Although I'm wanting to eventually be a police officer and have a career with the force, I'm starting off as a special to build up enough knowledge and experience to then hopefully make the PC recruitment process as easy as possible. I want to apply and be confident enough to hopefully be accepted and the only way that's going to happen is if I'm a special for couple of years before hand :smile:
Hope this has helped and the best of luck if you choose to apply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MSI_10
Cheers but how exactly would you go for applying if the website says they are not recruiting? Go into a police station and inquire?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who is saying they are not recruiting?
Reply 19
Who is saying they are not recruiting?

Oh are all applications done via in stations because I can't find a website that allows you to apply

Quick Reply

Latest