The Student Room Group

Improve drawing/art skills before starting at University?

So basically, as most people are, I'm going to be starting BA (Hons) Illustration at University in September...

But the thing is, the college I went to really didn't help my improve my drawing skills, or artistic skills in general and I feel like they're really lacking..

I don't particularily want to turn up at Uni and everyone else there is like... pros at art and know a lot about art theory/history... (╥_╥ )
I know it's probably not true but I'd like a bit of security if you know what I mean?

Basically what I am asking is...
What can I do? What can I practice drawing?
What books would you recommend? Anatomy, theory, composition e.t.c.

I know that observational helps, and life drawing helps...
I guess, do I just need to keep drawing, drawing and drawing, practice and more practice?
I suppose that would be the obvious answer, huh

Eh well, anyways, if anyone has some advice for me then that would be greatly appreciated!!

Many, many thanks!
\( ◕∀◕ )/
all you can do is just keep drawing all the time! it helps to set yourself briefs and challenges to motivate yourself, and if you need some inspiration you could try looking up drawing challenges and competitions and illustration briefs online, or even try to get involved with your local art scene if you can (where i live doesn't have one but hey..). also if you can make it to regular life drawing classes it helps sooo much! i was never comfortable drawing people until i started going, then i took a massive leap in confidence and skill, same with a lot of people i know. it also really helps to get critique on your work, i'd suggest joining some kind of art forum for this. sometimes it's hard to see your own mistakes and having someone point them out can feel like an epiphany haha!
Reply 2
All the books / sources I've mentioend below are aimed at a realist/representational style of art, they might not aply to you if you prefer naive / abstract imagery.

The books of Andrew Loomis are excellent for reference regarding anatomy / proportion and the human figure (Successful Drawing and Figure Drawing are two that are definitely worth reading), they might not be in print though...

James Gurney's Colour and Light is well worth reading for it's advice about colour palettes. His blog is packed with interesting observations http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.co.uk/

Light by Richard Yot is a brilliant book explaining how light works to the artist and how to make it work in your images, you can read the first few chapters online http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

I haven't yet read a decent book on composition that I'd recommend to a beginner (hopefully Hans Bacher will fix this issue soon :smile: ), but there is a wealth of useful tips and ideas collected here http://www.floobynooby.com/IPUB/comp1.html

If you need to learn perspective but find Loomis a little heavy, Vanishing Point by Jason Cheeseman-Meyer is a useful reference in easier language and covers 1 point to 5 point perspective well for most introductory issues.

If you want to know more about designing characters / worlds, then try Dream Worlds by Hans Bacher and/or The Skillful Huntsman by Mike Yamada

I'm not an art theorist, although I've read a few books in that area, but none that I would recommend as an introductory text (Ways of Seeing was always inflicted on students when I was at art college; perhaps it still is...)

Art history - yes, this is a wonderful thing and vital to help inspire you / provide sources to steal from, you choose depending on how close the deadline is getting :smile: I can't recommend a single book for an introduction here, the best idea would be to visit a library or art gallery and browse, take note of the artists whose works interest you and look for more information about them, and the artists of the same movements / eras to find more works.

Start a digital art library of your own, make up a folder with a folders inside it, one for each artist and when you find images you like on the web, save them and look at them later for inspiration. http://www.allpaintings.org/ might be a good starting point, I don't always agree with their classifications (mind you trying to categorise fine art is asking for trouble) and the image quality can be a little hit and miss, and there is obvious bias towards the art that the site owners like, but I have found it very useful reference for many little known (read not fashionable anymore) painters.

Don't worry about everyone knowing more than you - it's highly unlikely, art history is barely taught in the UK before degree level, so you don't need to panic :smile: The same goes for art theory! Do practise your traditional art skills though; these are vital, yet are poorly taught in many universities / art colleges. And also work digitally as much as traditionally if you want to be a paid illustrator; deadlines are very short and it's rare for you to have the time to paint something traditionally. Good luck!
Reply 3
Ah many thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest