The Student Room Group

D&D Theology's "Ask About Christianity" Thread MKII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Gospel means "Good News", the 4 Gospels are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and they preach Jesus' life, death, resurrection and hence obviously His teachings and miracles etc.

Its not only 4 gospels. Just now I completed reading the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, which is interesting.

Well, now the results day is coming up, is it a good idea to visit a grave of a pious relative and ask him to ask Dual? They can listen to us and recognize us and they live in a garden of paradise, so their duas for us can be accepted no? Any website that is unbiased to a question like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by <<The_Shade>>
Its not only 4 gospels. Just now I completed reading the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, which is interesting.

Well, now the results day is coming up, is it a good idea to visit a grave of a pious relative and ask him to ask Dual? They can listen to us and recognize us and they live in a garden of paradise, so their duas for us can be accepted no? Any website that is unbiased to a question like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 4 canonical gospels and I would argue that most other "gospels" are not gospels or reliable.

I don't know of any unbiased website on that topic, but there is no need to get others to intercede for you, you can pray to God and ask Him for anything you request.
Gospel means "Good News", the 4 Gospels are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and they preach Jesus' life, death, resurrection and hence obviously His teachings and miracles etc.

Okay.
But how do you know they are accurate?
were they endorsed by Jesus?
Or by the church?
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Okay.
But how do you know they are accurate?
were they endorsed by Jesus?
Or by the church?

I would point you towards 'The Case for Christ' by Lee Strobel, he's got chapters dedicated to the accuracy of the gospels and outside evidence which backs them up.
I would point you towards 'The Case for Christ' by Lee Strobel, he's got chapters dedicated to the accuracy of the gospels and outside evidence which backs them up.

Okay. I'll try to see it.

It was just that I visited a book shop on religion...all sorts of books were there....
Like Islam in Dante's Divine comedy.
And much more

I came across a gospel....by Mary Magdalena (something like that)....wtf is that gospel?
Reply 45
I came across a gospel....by Mary Magdalena (something like that)....wtf is that gospel?

There are other 'gospels' as well as the four standard ones, written by others, such as St Thomas. :yes:

Mary Magdalene is a figure in the New Testament. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I finished reading that on Sunday :biggrin:
Original post by Mazzini
There are other 'gospels' as well as the four standard ones, written by others, such as St Thomas. :yes:

Mary Magdalene is a figure in the New Testament. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So..that Gospel is wrong, right?
Reply 48

I'm not entirely sure of the position of the Church over them and I've never read them myself, but I would assume that the Church thinks they are false, yes.

If someone else knows better please correct me :colondollar:
Original post by Mazzini
I'm not entirely sure of the position of the Church over them and I've never read them myself, but I would assume that the Church thinks they are false, yes.

If someone else knows better please correct me :colondollar:

Yeah they were written several hundred years after Jesus' life, so they are not reliable eyewitnesses based accounts (unlike the four canonical gospels and NT letters).
Original post by fluteflute
Yeah they were written several hundred years after Jesus' life, so they are not reliable eyewitnesses based accounts (unlike the four canonical gospels and NT letters).

No. But I thought the four gospels were picked by voting and others rejected?
No. But I thought the four gospels were picked by voting and others rejected?

Nope, the four gospels became the four gospels because the consensus of the early Christians was that they were reliable :smile: The early Christians unsurprisingly didn't accept new books that conflicted with what they already believed - especially given that these books emerged after those they trusted (of course still seemingly early for us 2000 years on).

So while it's true a group later 'decided' what should be included, they were only reflecting the beliefs and current practises of the church, not themselves deciding.
Nope, the four gospels became the four gospels because the consensus of the early Christians was that they were reliable :smile: The early Christians unsurprisingly didn't accept new books that conflicted with what they already believed - especially given that these books emerged after those they trusted (of course still seemingly early for us 2000 years on).

So while it's true a group later 'decided' what should be included, they were only reflecting the beliefs and current practises of the church, not themselves deciding.

Nope.
They voted when Christmas day would be,right?
They voted for Easter right?
They decided which pagan beliefs would be included right? (To maintain harmony to between the beliefs)
All these were accepted even though they were conflicting, why?
Nope.
They voted when Christmas day would be,right?
They voted for Easter right?
They decided which pagan beliefs would be included right? (To maintain harmony to between the beliefs)
All these were accepted even though they were conflicting, why?

I cant' claim to be an expert on what happened.

I haven't previously heard those suggestions about things.

But suppose they did decide when Christmas and Easter were to be celebrated. I don't have a problem with that! Ideally they'd be exact anniversaries, but it doesn't matter if they're not, they're still celebrating historical events.
I cant' claim to be an expert on what happened.

I haven't previously heard those suggestions about things.

But suppose they did decide when Christmas and Easter were to be celebrated. I don't have a problem with that! Ideally they'd be exact anniversaries, but it doesn't matter if they're not, they're still celebrating historical events.

They voted in whole doctrines too but that's different.
I just wanted to know why are some Gospels valid and others shunned.

Thanks for your response :smile:
Reply 55
They voted in whole doctrines too but that's different.
I just wanted to know why are some Gospels valid and others shunned.

Thanks for your response :smile:

As ever, it's all Tradition! That there are four Gospels is a matter of the divinely guided Tradition of the Church. God in Trinity is a matter of Tradition, as are the dates of the feasts and fasts, the Creed, the two natures of Jesus, and so on.

Yes. That is the most conservatively Eastern Orthodox answer I could have given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OurSeaBee
As ever, it's all Tradition! That there are four Gospels is a matter of the divinely guided Tradition of the Church. God in Trinity is a matter of Tradition, as are the dates of the feasts and fasts, the Creed, the two natures of Jesus, and so on.

Yes. That is the most conservatively Eastern Orthodox answer I could have given.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol*
Traditions of the pagans voted in by the council of Nicaea.
Thanks for you answer :smile::biggrin:
What do you guys think about gospel churches?
Original post by LiamMcMorrow

Are gospel churches baptist? Every time I google them it's what I get.

If it is then I am sort of neutral on them, I certainly wouldn't go as they're generally much more conservative in beliefs than I am and I like sacraments which they don't practice, but each to their own. Most baptist Churches are fairly normal run-of-the-mill happy clappy whereas Southern Baptist tends to be so strict on dos and do nots it's become far too dogmatic and judgemental which generally gets in the way of personal relationships with Christ.
Reply 59
Lol*
Traditions of the pagans voted in by the council of Nicaea.
Thanks for you answer :smile::biggrin:

Traditions of the pagans? What's pagan about fasts and the like?

Original post by LiamMcMorrow

I am not a fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending