The Student Room Group

Being a PostGrad at Freshers

Hi if there has already been a thread on this I'm sorry - I can't use the search function at the moment for some reason :/

In September I will be starting at a different uni to the one I attended for my undergraduate. I was just wondering if it was normal for post grad students to attend fresher's events too? I'm a little nervous/excited as I won't know anyone and was wondering basically if it would be much the same to make friends as when I started uni three years ago? I should probably add that I'll be studying part time.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Anyone? :smile:
I went to a few events when I initially started but I found that I quickly become immersed in work and I didn't really have time for societies or to go out to be honest. You may find it different though as your part-time! :smile: Good luck and enjoy your year

Edit- I found most of my friends to be my course mates or my house mates. Also made friends through friends. I guess I made friends with a lot of people but less so from going out like I did in my undergrad and just through networking and other means etc
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes it's perfectly normal. In fact, I'd say that societies probably offer your best chance at making friends as a postgrad. You uni should have a postgrad soc and I would definitely join that as well as any societies you enjoyed as an undergrad. Even if you don't keep up with the activities long term they will help you settle in in the first few weeks.
I wouldn't go to fresher's events, but joining societies and sports teams is perfectly fine. We had a couple of master's students in our football team.
Reply 5
Original post by ChemistBoy
Yes it's perfectly normal. In fact, I'd say that societies probably offer your best chance at making friends as a postgrad. You uni should have a postgrad soc and I would definitely join that as well as any societies you enjoyed as an undergrad. Even if you don't keep up with the activities long term they will help you settle in in the first few weeks.

Thank you I might look at joining some societies then :smile: my previous uni didn't really have a great range so I never joined any there but I will definitely look to see what this one offers :smile: So excited about starting haha xD
Reply 6
Im starting a phd in england in september coming from Ireland, We never had a proper freshers week over there and I was planning on doing all the society joining etc but hopefully going on a afew piss ups yet. Not ready to give up the undergrad lifestyle completely yet :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending