The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Mathematics at UCL Vs Edinburgh

Hi guys. I have two offers from UCL and Edinburgh for mathematics for this coming September and I haven't yet decided where I want to go. What I would like to know is whether the level of demand (meaning the difficulty of the course and the hours I have to spend in lectures and studying) wary a lot between the two unis because I know that at UCL you have to go for at least 4 hour lectures at the first year and the you have to spend at least another 2 hours for doing the homework each day during the working days. Please don't reply and ask me what my motives are, I just want to know the difference between the two.
Thanks
It's unlikely someone will be able to spoon feed the differences to you because one person is unlikely to have studied mathematics at both the universities at undergraduate level. Just ask about the degree in general from people at both universities and come to a decision yourself
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Since you have an offer from UCL you may be qualified to skip first year and enter into second year directly. I'll deal with both separately.

In first year there are three maths courses. In term one there is a linear algebra course (4 hours of lectures, 1 hour of tutorials). In term two there is a calculus course (4 hrs lectures, 1 hour of tutorials) and a proofs course (3 hours of lectures, 2 hours of tutorials). You will get weekly homework for each course. You also have to take optional courses in another subject.

If you skip first year in term one you take an algebra and calculus course (2 hrs lectures, 2 hrs tutorials), proofs course (2 hrs lectures, 1 hr tutorial), probability (2 hrs lectures, 1 hr tutorial) and several variable calculus (4 hr lectures, 1 hr tutorials). In term two there is a pure mathematics course (4 hrs lectures, 1 hr tutorials). Again homework is weekly for each subject.

For more information search "DPRS" into Google for more detailed course information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending