The Student Room Group

Getting a 2nd job - Part time

Not sure if this is the right section lol

I am a student and currently have a part time job and my tax code is 947L

Which basically means that I earn less than £9470 a year "Tax free" ( I don't get taxed)

I earn around £650 a month and I work 3 days a week (20hours a week)

I am thinking to cut down my current job to 1 day a week (possibly 6 hours a week) and then get 2nd part time job, 2 days a week (15 hours a week) this is due to certain direct debit dates coming out from my account and having 2 jobs will be more convenient

just a scenario:

If I earn like £200 from my current job every month
and
If I earn like £500 from my 2nd job every month

so £700 altogether

700 x 12months = £8400

will I get taxed? I shouldn't right.... because I will still earn less than £9470 a year?

but people tell me I would get taxed because I will have 2 jobs... is that true?

Please tell me straight forward answers...

thank you
As far as I know it's only your total income that matters and not the number of jobs you have. Not 100 percent sure though
Reply 2
Be happy with the one job, thousands of us are struggling to get any job.
Reply 3
Hello

If you will be earning £700.00 per month, which is £175.00 per week then no you should not be taxed. However, expect a relatively small proportion of your pay (12%) being deducted from your total weekly pay as a contribution towards National Insurance. (If you are earning over £149.00 per week you will have to pay National Insurance - it's 14% if you earn over £797 per week.)

Anyway, £9470 divided by 52 (number of weeks every year) equates to £182.11 - This is your non-taxable threshold for each financial year.

If you are earning over £182.11 per week due to over-time etc - you will get taxed. However, at the end of the financial year if you do not exceed the non-taxable threshold of £9470.00 - you can claim your tax back!!

Therefore to summarise:

If you are earning below £182.11 per week: NO TAX
If you are earning ABOVE £182.11 per week: TAXED.
However you can claim this back if you do not earn over £9470.00 for that year.

If you are earning below £9470.00 per year: NO TAX
If you are earning ABOVE £9470.00 per year: TAXED

If you are earning below £149.00 per week: NO NATIONAL INSURANCE DEDUCTIONS FROM YOUR PAY
If you are earning ABOVE £149.00 per week; THERE WILL BE A NATIONAL INSURANCE DEDUCTION (12%) FROM YOUR PAY

Hope I have answered your question :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by imrt92
Hello

If you will be earning £700.00 per month, which is £175.00 per week then no you should not be taxed. However, expect a relatively small proportion of your pay (12%) being deducted from your total weekly pay as a contribution towards National Insurance. (If you are earning over £149.00 per week you will have to pay National Insurance - it's 14% if you earn over £797 per week.)

Anyway, £9470 divided by 52 (number of weeks every year) equates to £182.11 - This is your non-taxable threshold for each financial year.

If you are earning over £182.11 per week due to over-time etc - you will get taxed. However, at the end of the financial year if you do not exceed the non-taxable threshold of £9470.00 - you can claim your tax back!!

Therefore to summarise:

If you are earning below £182.11 per week: NO TAX
If you are earning ABOVE £182.11 per week: TAXED.
However you can claim this back if you do not earn over £9470.00 for that year.

If you are earning below £9470.00 per year: NO TAX
If you are earning ABOVE £9470.00: TAXED

If you are earning below £149.00 per week: NO NATIONAL INSURANCE DEDUCTIONS FROM YOUR PAY
If you are earning ABOVE £149.00 per week; THERE WILL BE A NATIONAL INSURANCE DEDUCTION (12%) FROM YOUR PAY

Hope I have answered your question :smile:

Beautifully explained...
thank you :smile:
Reply 5
So when you get your new job just ring the hmrc for a new tax code. You need to change the to code for your first job, from this job you expect to earn £2400 so the tax code for that is 240T while the difference 9470-2400=7070 goes to your second job, the tax code will be 707T.

Hope this helps,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
It remains within your personal allowance for this tax year so you will not be taxed but you still have national insurance to pay and you can't reclaim this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending