The Student Room Group

Anyone from the South of England, what do you consider to be the North?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

This give or take.
Reply 21
Well I'm from Berkshire, and I consider where I live now to be the North, so that probably tells you everything you need to know :tongue:
I'm from Kent, and at uni two of our friends are from Leicester and Leamington Spa and we mess around saying that anything north of the Thames is northern. However, according to my Leamington Spa friend there's a tree where she lives which is smack bang in the middle of the country, so anything above that is northern to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in enfield, nlondon!

Anywhere above midlands for me
Reply 24
Well I'm from Portsmouth so pretty much everywhere is north for me :L
But yeah I totally consider Birmingham and all above "Northern".
Reply 25
The Arctic
Reply 26
Original post by IDukem

This give or take.

By that the East of England and fantastic Southern towns and cities like Cambridge and Colchester are within the Midlands...
Reply 27
Birmingham and above
Original post by thoyub
Anywhere where the people start to look dirty and unshaven and smell of goodness knows what.

Various parts of London then?
Reply 29
Original post by de_monies
Various parts of London then?
Peckham especially. One of the many left wing wastelands of this country. How shameful!
I don't know, really. Derby and up?

It's funny because I'm from Cambridge and my boyfriend moved to Warwick for uni, which he considered to be 'the North'. That is, until I pointed out that it's pretty much directly west of Cambridge and Peterborough is more north than Warwick / Birmingham
Reply 31
Cumbria
Northumberland
Durham
Lancashire
Yorkshire
As someone who used to live in West Yorkshire and very recently moved down to Wiltshire, I'd say Lincolnshire is quite northern, but not very northern. Yorkshire for me is where I'd say the north is - Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester, any of those and up. Leeds (where I'm from), is definitely the north. It has to get to south yorkshire before it actually becomes northern.
Anywhere above Oxford.
Reply 34
Anywhere with an ugly accent = North
Original post by Nerry
Anywhere with an ugly accent = North

Bristol?
Reply 36
Anything north of brum. I live in brum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
Anything north of brum. I live in brum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile