The Student Room Group

Third Class Degree?

So I'm having a bit of a rubbish moment trying to work out my next move in terms of a legal career. Last year I graduated from Aberystwyth University with a Third Class LLB Law with Honours degree.

Of course I'm deeply ashamed by this and I don't even list the grade on my CV. The main crux is that I was seriously ill during almost the entire portion of my second year but naively I continued to study and tanked my first semester exam. Sadly I couldn't qualify for special circumstances until the illness was properly diagnosed, something that wasn't done until the second semester and as such I only qualified for full resits on those exams; which I did OK in but not enough to mitigate the horrid first semester marks. I graduated with a final score of 48.6 - 0.9% away from the 49.5 that would have got me a 2:2.

I was lucky enough to be accepted onto a masters at Cardiff University this September but having asked a number of people in the legal profession, the general consensus is that I shouldn't waste moneys on a masters because it won't mitigate the Third Class degree and there is apparently very little chance of me securing any meaningful employment in the legal profession with a third.

So just wanted to see if that was the case really; reading online also confirms the advice I've had but I've always wanted to work in the legal sector; I have decent work experience crudentials and a well rounded CV but this Third has really blown me out of the water.

Any suggestions? (other than a form of suicide obviously)
Reply 1
Original post by getchin
So I'm having a bit of a rubbish moment trying to work out my next move in terms of a legal career. Last year I graduated from Aberystwyth University with a Third Class LLB Law with Honours degree.

Of course I'm deeply ashamed by this and I don't even list the grade on my CV. The main crux is that I was seriously ill during almost the entire portion of my second year but naively I continued to study and tanked my first semester exam. Sadly I couldn't qualify for special circumstances until the illness was properly diagnosed, something that wasn't done until the second semester and as such I only qualified for full resits on those exams; which I did OK in but not enough to mitigate the horrid first semester marks. I graduated with a final score of 48.6 - 0.9% away from the 49.5 that would have got me a 2:2.

I was lucky enough to be accepted onto a masters at Cardiff University this September but having asked a number of people in the legal profession, the general consensus is that I shouldn't waste moneys on a masters because it won't mitigate the Third Class degree and there is apparently very little chance of me securing any meaningful employment in the legal profession with a third.

So just wanted to see if that was the case really; reading online also confirms the advice I've had but I've always wanted to work in the legal sector; I have decent work experience crudentials and a well rounded CV but this Third has really blown me out of the water.

Your third is, I think, pretty much terminal to your chances of securing a TC.

You provide an explanation for your difficulties in your second year, but say nothing of your first and third year results which, I assume, would have played a major part in your overall degree classification. Did you have medical issues in those years also?

There is an opportunity here for you to be brutally honest with yourself. Do you think your illness truly prevented you from reaching your real potential, or did you struggle with the rigours of the subject? There is no shame in acknowledging the latter. That said, if you think your chances of success were totally derailed, throughout your course, by your illness (from which I assume you have now recovered) then look to find a route by which you can still pursue the law.

I think a masters is pointless. It does little to improve the chances of 2:1 candidates, let alone those with thirds.

From your choice of institutions, I am guessing you are Welsh? You might want to consider maintaining your ties with the area, and look at other careers for the time being. Demonstrate your ability elsewhere, then look to do LPC part time etc, with a view to entering the profession (locally) at a later date when you can show that your academic shortcomings were clearly an anomaly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by getchin

Forget law (for the foreseeable future), don't waste any money at all on a Masters.
Reply 3
Original post by getchin

Not sure if this is a bit off-topic from the info you want, but is the only reason you are doing the masters to try to improve your chances because of the third? Or is it a subject you are interested in anyway? I did a masters because I wanted to further my knowledge in a particular area of law, and I had a personal interest in it. If you have a real interest in the area(s) of law you will be covering on the masters course, and can afford to spend another year studying, then maybe you should go ahead. If you are only doing a masters to try to improve your chances because of the third, then it probably wouldn't be worth it. What chalks says about demonstrating your abilities elsewhere first, and later going in to law would be a better approach, if that is the case.
Reply 4
Original post by getchin
I've always wanted to work in the legal sector; I have decent work experience crudentials and a well rounded CV
Any suggestions?

If "what you always wanted" really is "working in the legal sector" rather than being a solicitor/barrister, then do not despair.

There are places where you can do legal work without being a qualified solicitor, so that may be something for you to explore.

I personally work in an investment bank (in a legal position) and I am not yet qualified (and neither are three of my colleagues who have been working for this bank for respectively 8, 25 and 31 years). The main difference between us and our qualified colleagues is the salary, we earn approximately 30-40% less.

I also know of people working in media/IP law without being qualified, as well as in corporate law.

Quite often the hardest part to get these positions is to manage to get your foot in the door, but once you are in the legal department of a company, provided you are hard working, competent, dedicated, show eagerness to progress and above all are grateful for the opportunity to work there (even if often you start in a support job), then with time you will progress.
It will be slower, you will be less paid, but you will be "working in the legal sector".

Best of luck :smile:
My advice would be to try and get your foot in the door at a law firm as a Legal Secretary or Paralegal for a few years. Work your ass off and shine and you may be offered a training contract with the firm in the future despite your degree results. Probably best to choose a small, regional firm as Paralegals seem to come and go in the top firms and they probably could never look past your academics.

This is personally what I would do in that situation.
Reply 6
Original post by Olenna Tyrell
My advice would be to try and get your foot in the door at a law firm as a Legal Secretary or Paralegal for a few years. Work your ass off and shine and you may be offered a training contract with the firm in the future despite your degree results. Probably best to choose a small, regional firm as Paralegals seem to come and go in the top firms and they probably could never look past your academics.

This is personally what I would do in that situation.

I would agree with this. Heard an anecdote about someone with a third grafting for a few years in a firm and getting a TC at a top firm. Difficult but certainly possible.
Original post by chalks
Your third is, I think, pretty much terminal to your chances of securing a TC.

You provide an explanation for your difficulties in your second year, but say nothing of your first and third year results which, I assume, would have played a major part in your overall degree classification. Did you have medical issues in those years also?

There is an opportunity here for you to be brutally honest with yourself. Do you think your illness truly prevented you from reaching your real potential, or did you struggle with the rigours of the subject? There is no shame in acknowledging the latter. That said, if you think your chances of success were totally derailed, throughout your course, by your illness (from which I assume you have now recovered) then look to find a route by which you can still pursue the law.

I think a masters is pointless. It does little to improve the chances of 2:1 candidates, let alone those with thirds.

From your choice of institutions, I am guessing you are Welsh? You might want to consider maintaining your ties with the area, and look at other careers for the time being. Demonstrate your ability elsewhere, then look to do LPC part time etc, with a view to entering the profession (locally) at a later date when you can show that your academic shortcomings were clearly an anomaly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure you'd get on an LPC with a 3rd. Even CoL claim you need a 2:2 minimum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Not sure you'd get on an LPC with a 3rd. Even CoL claim you need a 2:2 minimum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is new. Certainly until a year or two ago, CoL stuck with the traditional idea that a pass degree was all you needed.
Reply 9
Original post by nulli tertius
That is new. Certainly until a year or two ago, CoL stuck with the traditional idea that a pass degree was all you needed.

I think their entry standards say a minimum of a second class honours, obviously they have complete discretion and will probably let you in with a third if you spell your name correctly.
Is it worth looking into the Cilex route? I confess I don't know that much about it other than that it exists though!

http://www.cilex.org.uk/about_cilex_lawyers/what_cilex_lawyers_do.aspx
Original post by woody-wood
I think their entry standards say a minimum of a second class honours, obviously they have complete discretion and will probably let you in with a third if you spell your name correctly.

Quite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending