The Student Room Group

How to shed 20kg ASAP?

im overweight...to be honest i didnt really realise the last two years of A level have been so stressful I didnt consider my weight at all and now I live to regret it :frown:
What can i do to lose 20kg? I know it might take some time but I want to tone down for uni, because its actually depressing me now as Im the 'fat friend' 'fat cousing' 'fat daughter' .
I cant do any running around my area because well I live on an estate :/
Iv given up the likes of coke and other fizzy juice (I swear I used to jug down the whole 2 litre bottle by myself :/) and I just drink water or juice now.
Pleas help :frown:
Reply 1
Well you certainly won't lose £20kg fast, but with a lot of dedication i'm sure it can be managed. I'd advise you to go to a gym, and talk to the trainers there, tell them your goals, and see if they can set you up a training regime. Some gyms also have nutritionists so ask if you can see them, and they'll make sure you are eating the right stuff. You can get a lot of support, but unfortunately the gyms that have this support are more expensive. Alternatively, start some things on your own if you don't have much cash at hand. Do you have a bike? Start cycling? Go for long walks? Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 2
When reaching a goal like yours, nutrition is literally EVERYTHING. Solidify a good diet, go into a calorie deficit (eat less calories than you burn daily). You'll need to work out your BMR and Maintenance calories - google how to do them. Maintenance calories are the calories you'd be eating to stay at the same weight. Eat about 10-20% less than your maintenance calories, and start doing some cardio - High Intensity cardio is the best if you want to lose fat. Results will come in time, stay dedicated if you want to make a change. If you need help in a diet plan, workout plan or calculating your daily needs, check out www.bodybuilding.com/forums - great for beginners.

Feel free to send me a message aswell if you want help/tips, I'll help but I can't guarantee quick responses on this as I'm pretty busy for the next few days.

Best of luck.
(edited 10 years ago)
The juice diet? I have always been a bit sceptical about diets, but I saw this guy on a documentary and he followed it for 2 months and lost around 40kg in that time! I should imagine it will not be easy though - but he managed it and talked about how he felt the most energetic he has ever felt in years! Good Luck :smile:
P.S keeping some sort of a blog/diary going really helps to keep on track

https://www.google.co.uk/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=baa17e401e6bf0aa&q=juice+diet+joe+cross
ASAP? Cut off your legs.

Otherwise it would have to be an intense exercise regime.
Reply 5
I don't know for sure if these things work or if they're healthy or w/e, but my friends older brother was apparently overweight and he took something called "grenade pills" and now he's apparently skinny. I've never seen the guy so I definitely don't know if this is true - he was probably more motivated to exercise and lost the weight that way.
Reply 6
To lose weight simply eat less. You can even lose weight without doing exercise if you want.

The problem with running/cardio is that you will have an appetite afterwards and unless you control calories you will eat more than you would normally so it cancels out the exercise.

Best way to do it would be to just go slowly and start monitoring your diet properly and building muscle which helps shed more fat.

Good luck.

EDIT: IGNORE ALL POSTS EXCEPT Tazman's. HE/SHE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Reply 7
Original post by guitardad
I don't know for sure if these things work or if they're healthy or w/e, but my friends older brother was apparently overweight and he took something called "grenade pills" and now he's apparently skinny. I've never seen the guy so I definitely don't know if this is true - he was probably more motivated to exercise and lost the weight that way.

The so called fat burning pills....While they aid you, they don't take over diet and exercise. Yeah you can take them, but you won't get very far without exercise and a good diet. All these pills do is raise your metabolic rate. Has things like green tea and caffeine which are known to naturally boost metabolism, AIDING you in losing weight, but it's not a miracle pill. Only miracle is a good diet, and that's the bottom line really...

If someone so desperately wants to lose weight with the aid of supplements, nothing better than an EC stack, natural, and works pretty well if you exercise and eat well
Reply 8
There are quick ways but they are both highly illegal and worse for your body than being over weight.
Try doing the 2 day fasting diet and the rest you eat normally. During the 2 fast days. Can't down to 500 calories for those days. Then exercise and just eat normally the other five days. It's not easy on the two days where your fasting as such. But rest of time you can eat what you want just be sensible. Plus if you do have something nice. You don't feel guilt about. Am doing it currently, it's not a quick way too lose. Am only on my second week of doing it. I lost a pound so far. Will see what I weigh tomorrow. As an currently on second fast day this week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I am not stupid enough to take any sort of pill, while I wouldnt mind the 60 day juice diet
If I do 100 situps daily and the squat challenge ...idk i am confused
Original post by Anonymous
I am not stupid enough to take any sort of pill, while I wouldnt mind the 60 day juice diet
If I do 100 situps daily and the squat challenge ...idk i am confused

What about taking a powder?
20 kilograms? That's not gonna come off over night.
Just eat less. Count your calories. Substitute any **** you eat with fruit. Obviously you need the willpower and this takes time.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
im overweight...to be honest i didnt really realise the last two years of A level have been so stressful I didnt consider my weight at all and now I live to regret it :frown:
What can i do to lose 20kg? I know it might take some time but I want to tone down for uni, because its actually depressing me now as Im the 'fat friend' 'fat cousing' 'fat daughter' .
I cant do any running around my area because well I live on an estate :/
Iv given up the likes of coke and other fizzy juice (I swear I used to jug down the whole 2 litre bottle by myself :/) and I just drink water or juice now.
Pleas help :frown:

I went 15 days hardly eating anything . I sometimes didnt even had anything substantial for like 3-4 days.This way after 15 days, I lost close to 8 lbs.But I don't recommend you do this. Its just something that happened cos I didnt had much time to eat.

I only say you do this if you weigh 300 lbs only. Exercise at such weight will be too difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest