The Student Room Group

Outrage as man walks free after admitting sex with 13 year old.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by flit
Its the opposite: the older you get, the more difficult it is to distinguish between young people of similar ages. Some 13 year olds could definitely pass for 16!

I know and she may have given him permission

Some girls are smart at this age

Justice served
To all the people who want to see this guy hanged:

There was a 17 year old in my year at school who was going out and sleeping with a girl who was 13 (and he definitely knew it). Do you see this is equally immoral?
Reply 82
Given the finite amount of spaces in prison, there are people who are walking free who should be punished, but there are people going to prison for no reason.

If the girl consented, I can't condone imprisoning the male, or just the male. If we have some balls and actually speak the truth about underage sex, we could point out that no one's ever said "I had sex with my boyfriend at 13, though looking back on it now, on the day of my 16th birthday, I WAS RAPED AND NOW I'M TRAUMATISED".

Obviously if this is actually rape, then he should be killed. Bonus: still a free space in prisons.
I dislike people making snap judgments on court cases based on what they've read online or newspaper without having actually being in that court, listening to the evidences put forth before the judge. It makes my blood boil. They think know everything about the case but they really don't!
Original post by stefl14
The thing is though that the age of consent is thirteen in some perfectly civilised countries. These days Westerners are perfectly mature enough to know whether sex is right for them. I don't advocate braking the law but many young girls do look much older than they are and are sexually forward at a young age. Besides, evolutionarily there is nothing wrong with being sexually attracted to a thirteen year old girl (they are reproductively capable), particularly these days now that westerners go through puberty much earlier and look like adults at an early age. Your just subscribing to social norms about right and wrong. The dude probably didn't cause any damage anyway. People get outraged too much over stuff like this.

Very good post.

But you can't get the Daily Mail readers of the world to accept this.

15 and 364 days, NO WAY PEADOOOOOOO...... day later, who cares.

It's funny, the majority of Europe has a younger age of consent than us. Crazy barstools
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
She may. But not all thirteen year olds do (and will not understand all the consequences). The law must be arbitrary to protect those who are vulnerable.

But you're just assuming that the man is in the wrong here. How can you just assume this? What about a fair trial? You know nothing about the facts, nothing about the case yet are all up for prosecuting somebody who you know nothing about. I trust our legal system and if a barrister has come out with something which he would have known beforehand would be controversial I believe his judgement.

You're clearly thinking along the lines of "oh all 13 year olds are nicey nice." No they aren't. Simple as that. Western society has completely changed. The legal age of consent in Spain is 13. At 13 that girl knew fine well what she was doing. This isn't a rape case.

However I'm disappointed to see Cameron jumping on this bandwagon. I really am. We have to be extremely careful here. If we like you did, assume that the bloke is completely in the wrong here it makes a complete mockery of the justice system. As a judge quite rightly said a prosecutor must be able to cross examine any witness. You cannot just jump to a conclusion that somebody is the victim with no evidence. It would make a complete joke of the fair trial justice system we strive for.
Original post by kidomo
I dislike people making snap judgments on court cases based on what they've read online or newspaper without having actually being in that court, listening to the evidences put forth before the judge. It makes my blood boil. They think know everything about the case but they really don't!

I know what you mean. The comments on the guardian website are particularly depressing.
Reply 87
Is there outrage, or is it "outrage" because newspaper headlines used the word "outrage", possibly in capital letters?
Reply 88
Lmao.

This debate is over. The petition signed yesterday by over 30k, proves I was in the right.

The judge has been barred from cases like this - the rally of the people has won, all those who disagree. That's tough :frown:

Good game TSR.

I just pity those who thought they knew the court case. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lord Frieza
Lmao.

This debate is over. The petition signed yesterday by over 30k, proves I was in the right.

The judge has been barred from cases like this - the rally of the people has won, all those who disagree. That's tough :frown:

Good game TSR.

Haha, youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Time for you to go buy The Sun
Lmao.

Good game TSR.

But you didn't know the court case.

I'm confused
Original post by JordanR
So much emphasis on the victim being a girl, makes me think that most people wouldn't care as much if it was a 13-year-old boy, which is pretty messed up.

I thought the emphasis was on her being a girl and not a woman, or rather to point out how young she is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by Sheldor
I thought the emphasis was on her being a girl and not a woman, or rather to point out how young she is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does not matter

It was justified
Reply 93
Original post by arichmond64
But you didn't know the court case.

I'm confused

Dear --------

''Thank you.In less than three days we made the courts - and the country - sit up and listen that in cases of child abuse: it's never the child's fault.
Sexual abuse is about power. When it happened to me I had no power. Thousands of other women have their power taken away. Yesterday you and 45,000 others stood together and took some of that power back. ''

Oh how I do feel honoured to have brought justice... to the justice system :smile:

Change.org.
Dear --------

''Thank you.In less than three days we made the courts - and the country - sit up and listen that in cases of child abuse: it's never the child's fault.
Sexual abuse is about power. When it happened to me I had no power. Thousands of other women have their power taken away. Yesterday you and 45,000 others stood together and took some of that power back. ''

Oh how I do feel honoured to have brought justice... to the justice system :smile:

Change.org.

You're like one of those religious people, who never answer the question.

Obamaaaaa, chaaaaaaaaange.
Reply 95
Not sure we can judge unless we know all the facts. It's possible the girl is a bit loose and came onto him, but given the man was found with child sex images on his computer I'd have to side with the girl being the victim and the guys just a sick scumbag.
(edited 10 years ago)
Lmao.

Good game TSR.

Actually, it was the barrister who was 'barred'.

In fact, he just will not be instructed by the CPS again for these cases until the investigation is complete. He can still work these cases should he be instructed by someone else.

There is no victory here.

There isn't even an outcome to the investigation.
Reply 97
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Doesn't matter at all. She may very well have wanted to sleep with him. But at thirteen, it is assumed by law that you are not capable of understanding all the potential consequences of having sex. The law does not care a jot if this girl knew every STI under the sun, she was thirteen and therefore supposed to be protected by law.

Oh yes, but let's assume she did lie about her age, and let's also assume that it was reasonable of this man to assume that she was telling the truth i.e she looked over 16. He can't be found guilty of a crime, because there is no 'guilty mind'. If it was reasonable of HIM to assume that what he was doing was legal (which it may have been) then he isn't guilty of anything.

An example would be a road accident. Let's say I'm driving recklessly and I kill someone. Well that would be a crime of death by dangerous driving. Now let's say I'm driving on motorway and somebody jumps of a bridge into the path of my car. Well in that situation I'm guilty of nothing. Although in both situations the car I'm driving has killed somebody my criminal culpability is different.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending